Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • tell me about embrocation
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

As above, is it worth it? I know it’s the wrong season but hopefully get out for a pedal on Thursday and forecast looks miserable prob a situation to be repeated over the summer. So will it turn me into a Belgian hard man or just make my dingle burn when i go for a pee?

ta

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

If you go for a chilli based embrocation then go for a piss before washing your hands it’ll make your dingle tingle right enough.

fontmoss
    Free Member

:O

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Yes, just don’t get it mixed up with the chamois cream, or apply them in the wrong order.

Smells great, warms the legs, especially in the wet, feels traditional. Adds another 5 minutes to the pre-ride faff.

fontmoss
    Free Member

anyone recommendations? Found qoleum but not many other brands in the uk

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I use Rapha’s embrocation and chamois cream

MartinGT
    Free Member

I use Soigner and its mega, used Natures Kiss in the past all mega.

Alejandro
    Free Member

Interested in this too. What I was wondering was whether there is a risk of injury due to the fact that your legs aren’t actually warmer, it just makes them feel warmer so there might be a risk of pushing too hard thinking you are warmed up in the cold and then damaging a muscle because they are actually frozen. Or am I talking b-locks?

fontmoss
    Free Member

Martin did you get soigneur from the states? Can see wiggle do nature’s kiss

Chef, have you used any ‘economic’ rubs? I was amused to find this under the rapha embro description:

Please note: The quantity supplied is 125ml as per the product specification although please be aware that this may not completely fill the packaging tin supplied.

qoleum seems a decent price, anyone used that?

takisawa2

After watching “Withnail & I”, I’d steer well clear.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Tested mine down to minus 15 over here, no issues. I find the cold restricts my lungs before my legs to be honest.

Frankly if you go from 0 to 100% without warming up, in any weather, you get what is coming to you

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I used the Elite Thermogel Forte in that cold snap and was a bit disappointed in it. Wasn’t as hot as I was expecting it to be.

petrieboy

MartinGT
    Free Member

Martin did you get soigneur from the states? Can see wiggle do nature’s kiss

I get it from a place in the Netherlands – http://www.essv.nl/ 🙂 Hope this helps.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

The Rapha tubs are bigger than needed to hold the content, (they’d be somewhat odd if they didn’t), however this is so they work aesthetically.

Both mine were sufficiently filled not to concern me.

crikey
    Free Member

It doesn’t keep you warm. It works by causing surface vasodilation on your skin, has very little effect any deeper, and theoretically could make your body temp drop in the same way that it’s a bad idea to give hypothermic people alcohol.

Having said that, it does make the first few miles in the winter seem a bit more bareable.

…and for the full Euro-Pro experience, put embrocation on, wait for 5-10 minutes, then put a finishing coat of baby oil on; helps you to slide when Jonny Van Den Hoosen decides to knock you off in a corner.

fontmoss
    Free Member

i guess the point is not to warm deeper but to allow you to keep pedalling which will help with muscle activity and in turn keep the muscles ‘warm’

chef I wasn’t overly concerned by the sizing just thought it funny to put on the page. I am slightly reticent to spend £20 on 125ml mind you 🙁

cheers martin I’ll take a look

edit: i see they do qoleum too, might give it a punt-£10 for 200ml from zipvit.co.uk

Alejandro
    Free Member

Would you put it on under tights/legwarmers if you’re wearing them or is it only the sort of thing you’d do when wearing shorts, ‘cross style?

TooTall
    Free Member

Pointless stuff – and anything with Rapha on the tub will be expensive pointless stuff. Just wear tights and actually have warmer legs instead of pretend warm legs.

fontmoss
    Free Member

don’t have tights for running and don’t like wearing tights or leg warmers when cycling in the rain

rootes1

The medium hot qoluem is still hot the following day, Christ knows what the hot version is like!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

In theory it can also allow you to ride harder before you overheat.

Did you know that sticking ice on you muscles for more than 15 or 20 minutes has the same vasodilation effect.

fontmoss
    Free Member

cheers rootes was wondering which to go for, thought medium and hot might be overkill for running

rootes1

cheers rootes was wondering which to go for, thought medium and hot might be overkill for running

yes funny as you only notice you still have it on if you have a hot bath or shower the following day -ouch!

Rickos
    Free Member

Bit of Ralgex or Deep Heat from Superdrug should do you.

fontmoss
    Free Member

i’ll let you know once try the embro but no danger i want to smell of deep heat

si-wilson
    Free Member

what is this thread all about?

fontmoss
    Free Member

rubbing yourself in oil to make yourself feel like a hero

TooTall
    Free Member

don’t have tights for running and don’t like wearing tights or leg warmers when cycling in the rain

Then spending daft sums of money on stuff that has slight if any positive effect is the way forward.

fontmoss
    Free Member

and whinging about others’ choices is the way to influence their decision

ourmaninthenorth
    fontmoss
    Free Member

Bit of Ralgex or Deep Heat from Superdrug should do you.

First impressions are that it smells just like deep heat :O

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘tell me about embrocation’ is closed to new replies.