Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tell me about EasyJet..
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Just booked flights with the bike and notice that sports equipment is exempt from further penalties for exceeding weight limits (not that i found any weight limit on bikes) and all i found was a section saying that no single bag can exeed 32 kilos.

So, from that i think i’m fine with the bike and bag at 24 kilos?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

luggage must be under 20kgs, bike under 32 kgs, total under 50 kgs

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Cool, looks like i’m fine then 🙂 Last year i had a ‘moment’ at the check-in with Monarch when my bike was 4 kilo over weight!

kimbers

my dh bike was 31.5 kg on the way back from France – with a lot of kit

got a friendly reminder not to exceed the limit

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

to get the bike allowence you need to book a sports bag – bike.

hh45
    Free Member

i fly with them 2- 3 x a year, always with a bike and never had any trouble but my bike bag is much lighter. I really do find them pretty good.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Pawsy – do you mean you have to book sports equipment onto the flight (as i have done) or that you have to book a bag from Easyjet?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

you have to book a bag from Easyjet?

If by that you mean one of their bags, then no. You bring your own bag. Just be careful how much other kit you pack into the bag. Strictly speaking it’s supposed to be bike only, but you can get away with stuff like helmet, pads (if you’re wussy like that), shoes. You just don’t want them opening it to have a closer look.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have my own bag DD, and pads are obligatory with this trip 😛
    Don’t need to ram it full of other stuff as i have another bag booked on the flight.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Usually run up to 30Kg in the bike bag. Just answer straight that there is nothing except bike and packing material in there.

If you go above 32kg they wont take it at all as it is above what they are allowed to lift.

Unless you have a hard case take the lid as hand luggage as you have no idea what happens to it.

Also old hub/axle to space the drop outs is better then the plastic spacer

davidisaacs
    Free Member

We at http://www.bikingandalucia.com normally recommend Easyjet, check out http://www.bikingandalucia.com/information.asp#bike

for packing advice etc or contact me.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

MD no you book a sports bag then turn up with your bike in bag. They don’t supply anything. I use Evoc, great bag and easy to use if you fly often. One off? Try the chain reaction one. It’s good enough. I don’t bother with checking on luggage. I have 35litre back pack and get everything in that. Helmet shoes camelbak in bag. Don’t forget some lube and the tools to reassemble the bike.

flowerman
    Free Member

Be careful I went to Les Gets last year and because my bike was 1kg over the limit it was left and posted to me about a month later. Argh! That was with Easy Jet

Trekster

Take a note of the number from the label they attach to your bike bag/box just in case you need to trace/track your pride and joy!!
    Flew from Edin last week without any hassle at all. Bike box was 30kg, hold bag 16. There were too many cabin bags and people were asked to offer up their bags to be placed in the hold on the outbound flight.
    Those who used lbs cardboard bike boxes got a shock on the return from Geneva when their boxes had sustained some puncture wounds, probably to enable handlers to get a grip on the box….

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

You get the same sticky label reciept you get with a normal bag stuck to your passport. Dont lose it 🙂 Best to check bike weight. Mine with bag and odd items = 24kg.

+1 Trekster I have see how they handle luggage and if you go the cheap option beware you might lose the entire holiday because of damaged to your bike. Its just not worth it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A well packed cardboard box from your LBS is better than a bike bag (Just get the dimensions right) for 1 trip.
    All 7 bikes survived a 10 stop journey air freight to Oz with UPS, missus HT got the rear stays squashed (snapped plastic spacer) on 1 flight in a bike bag.

Lots coming up look at some of the better ones.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about EasyJet..’ is closed to new replies.