Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tell me about direct mount front derailleur please
  • vondally
    Free Member

Hi looking at a frame that has no front mech mountings but been told it will run a direct front mech …..so

What is one
    Where does it fit?
    Are they functionally working or a faff?
    Can they cope with a double or triple crankset?

Any experiences with using one?

Thanks

nickdavies

It’s just a mech that sounds like it will be BB mounted. Just slips on in place of one of the shell spacers. Direct mount mechs normally bolt to the frame directly so your post is a little confusing in that the frame doesn’t have a mount, so could only be a bb mount.

Like this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xtr-m985-e-type-2×10-front-mech/rp-prod54896

Same as any other really. Options available to run 2 or 3x, would assume the frames designed to run without a front mech though so might have other issues.. What frame?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If your seat tube is circular then you can simply get a band/clamp with a direct mount flange. this is what i’ve got on my Roadrat. No reason why it wouldn’t work on an MTB or with a double to triple setup.

like this…

http://www.totalcycling.com/en/MPart-Front-Derailleur-Clamp—Black/m-18310.aspx?gclid=CPnMtPbNlcwCFdIV0wod3BEAEg&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=UnitedKingdom

vondally
    Free Member

It is a Curtis….

scotroutes

That clamp shown above is for a road mech.

Problem Solvers do a band-type Direct Mount Adapter. I’ve used one for double/triple cranks and it’s fine.

In fact, I might have one for sale. What diameter is the seat tube where it is required? Pretty sure the one I have is the smaller size.

nickdavies

I’d be amazed if any Curtis frame that could take a mech (maybe not the skinny singlespeed one) wouldn’t just be a regular clamp type? They don’t use any funny tubing for seat tubes do they?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about direct mount front derailleur please’ is closed to new replies.