Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Tell me about dead lifting please…
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Afternoon,
    After a long period of sitting about getting fat it’s now time to do something about it, I am starting running again, I may even venture out on my bikes that haven’t been used for over a year. I would also like to start doing weights again but here’s the problem. I have a buggered wrist that doesn’t work with any kind of compressive movement, so classic weight lifting I can’t do. Extension on my wrist is absolutely fine so was thinking about trying dead lifting…. What do I need to know?
    Cheers

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

It’s a superb exercise that utilises something like 70% of your muscle mass.
    The main thing is to make sure that you get the technique correct, if you do its a safe exercise. Loads of links online on this. Start off with low weight and build up slowly while nailing the correct method. Be prepared for severe DOMS and that lifting to failure can/will leave you wiped out the next day and can compromise other exercise.

kerbdog
    Free Member

This is a pretty good video for dead lifting and explains the proper mechanics.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AObAU-EcYE[/video]

fifeandy
    Free Member

Never really got on with deadlifts – great exercise, but not worth the grated/bruised shins imo.

scratch
    Free Member

I’m still very new to the gym but its a great exercise, can you get away with Squats too? Combine them both on separate days during the week and it’ll be a good base.

Start low and work on form/technique.

I’ve just come back from doing 5×5 at 120k, I was going to go for a run later, I’d probably do anything else first in the day then do the deads last going on how my legs feel right now!

Least you’ll be able to get at the kit, hardly ever see people doing dead squats at my gym, its all arms and chest days…seemingly every day…

scratch
    Free Member

Grip wise I find over / under helps a lot.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

The deadlift, surely the cure for the modern malaise, currently at 2.5 x bodyweight and my shins are fine, well apart from smashing them with my bike pedals.
    Get a good trainer to spot your form, then the skys the limit. Warm up well with lighter lifts, then do 5 x 5, i generally do 5 x 3 then 5 x 4 then 5 x 5 then up the weight and back to 5 x 3 etc.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if after deadlifting for a while your wrist will sort itself out.
    I can honestly say the deadlift has had a massive impact on my well being.

duckman

Getting to use a proper deadlift bar is an advantage as well, but as said; get your form sorted.

BoardinBob

I have a buggered wrist that doesn’t work with any kind of compressive movement, so classic weight lifting I can’t do

That doesn’t rule out squats by the sounds of it. Get them done!

Toddboy
    Free Member

centralsrutinizer has summed it up very well.

So many people dont bother with deadlifts in the gym, but it is a very effective way of getting fit and strong.

daftvader
    Free Member

Can’t do squats either… Knees are buggered too!!! Thanks for all the replies, will be looking at this in depth over the week.

i_like_food

Single leg deadlift with a kettle bell or dumbbell is also really good and helps with balance too. Also a good way to learn how to activate your Glute muscles. Google will show you how.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Deadlifts I love you

MoreCashThanDash

If you are trying to do 10 reps with 100kg, don’t shuffle your right foot slightly after the 9th rep.

On the 10th rep you will destroy your periformis, which up until that time you didn’t know existed. 26 years later you will still live under the shadow of having a dodgy back, and will know quite a lot of Porsche driving physios and osteopaths…. 😳

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I like clean and jerks, especially with a lower weight at a decent pace for 2 mins or so. Not an option if you’ve got buggered wrists though.

prawny

I love snatches (fnar). And a good clean and jerk, or maybe the other way round.

Deadlifts are ace though, keep number of sets low and work up to a good weight. I rushed it one day and I’ve not really been back to the gym properly since. Rediscovered riding though so all is well.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Deadlifts – the lift of truth! (If done correctly! ) used to really look forward to “dead day” when I used to go to the gym. As said above having the hands over/under helps massively. Although I used to use straps when I went really heavy (for me )

codybrennan
    Free Member

Could I do deadlifts at home? (Im not a member of any gym.)

If I could, what would I need?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Olympic bar, a couple of 20kg plates plus more of any size to whatever weight you need. Wraps are handy. Somewhere you won’t go through the floor while lifting.

I prefer lifting without shoes, so a carpet is nice…

If you look forward to deadlift day you’re doing it wrong. Or an extreme masochist…

Duffer
    Free Member

You certainly can do them at home; all you’ll need is a bar and some plates. If you’re looking at doing some squats too (which you definitely should) then you’ll need a squat rack.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks guys 🙂

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’d recommend getting a proper 20kg/7.5 ft Olympic bar for deadlifts and at least 2 20kg plates so that you can sit the bar at the right height on the ground. More weights as required of course.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks CS, I’ll look for them.

Earl
    Free Member

Any opinions on a trap bar for deadlifts?

thecaptain
    Free Member

I wouldn’t do deadlifts with dodgy knees. Or at all, in fact. IMO too dangerous/difficult/damaging to be worthy he benefits.

BoardinBob

Trap bar helps as the weight is far more centered. My trap bar lift is usually 20kg+ higher than my straight bar.

Current 1RM on the straight bar is 160kg but I’ve hit 180kg on the trap bar

BoardinBob

Or at all, in fact. IMO too dangerous/difficult/damaging to be worthy he benefits.

😆

frankconway

I have olympic bar (7′, 20kg) with plates from 20kg down to 2.5kg and a squat/pip rack and an adjustable bench (flat/incline/decline).
    All Bodymax branded 5* products from Powerhouse Fitness.
    Was intending to advertise sometime soon so this could be someone’s lucky day.
    Will include set of protective floormats if the deal is right.
    I’m in Leeds so if that works for you email me for details; email address in profile.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about dead lifting please…’ is closed to new replies.