Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tell me about Cove Hustlers…
  • dh
    Free Member

browsing through CRC i have to admit i liked the look of this bad boy
    hustle me baby – would need to be orange as well of course.

Anyone have any experiences of them? In particular the 2012 version – although if that is any different to the previous years frames I am unsure. Seems quite a good price, although unfortunately it would need to drop another couple of hundred to swing it past her indoors. I am hoping for a mega CRC frame sale like last year…

Just general trail riding etc – the usual mix of trail centres, maybe up the top of the occansional munro and of course the odd pootle around the local trails. Sorry – but my requirements do fall into the horrible “do it all” territory.

I am 5’11” so I am unsure of the sizing – anyone with similar height if they could advise that would be appreciated.

thankinyou

Sodajim

At 5.11 probably 17.5″ though if your long in the body you might want to size up.

In true STW fashion I’ve never ridden one but I believe they ride nicely enough and look good for that money but you might want to do some more research as I think there may have been some issues with them snapping around the seat tube

dh
    Free Member

that type of injury could lead to some raised eyebrows at the local A&E. I will do some googling…thanks for that.

Pezzers
    Free Member

Had one for a few years built up with coil revs at 130mm, sram x9, hope xc/Mavic wheels, easton 70 finishing kit.

Its quite heavy at around 32lb but pretty bomb proof and dare i say rides lighter than it is, real good fun to ride quick on the downs and seems to hunt the jumps. I have ridden it in the alps, enduros, trail centres everywhere and never finished a ride thinking I wish I was riding something different. I am sure there are faster bikes out there but as an all rounder I would go for it, maintenance wise other than cleaning I have stripped mine down once in three years and even then more cos I wanted to rather than cos it needed it.

I am 5ft 11 but quite long in the body and ride a 19.5, they come up quite short in length so its not streched out at all.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Had one, and it snapped on the seat tube/ toptube. 😥

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Its a cove so it’ll probably be fairly **** for the money. Yet they are marketed as an exclusive brand and people still buy them.

dh
    Free Member

mmm, it would appear a good old fashioned STW split down the middle!

Sui
    Free Member

I have a pre vp one that’s been going a number of years and used for everything (still got an old Romic shock on too), much like the Stiffee before it. Loves it i do, mucho fun, but yes a tad heavier than others that are on the market. Before the Hustler came out i’d always wished for a Stiffee with suspension, then my dream came true – just as my 😥 stiffee died.. 😥

Yes Cove is a niche brand, but i’ve never considered them to be overpriced considering the quality of the ride.

edit to add – also got a Gspot for silly silly things..

Vern0n
    Free Member

I have had mine since 08. Still going strong, though the paint / stickers are not the best (understatement) so it looked tatty pretty quick if that bothers you.

It rides great, and very versatile so really its the finishing kit that determines the ride. I had it down to 28lbs ish but currently its around the 31 mark. Local woods, hills, Alps, it can take pretty much anything. Just build it up how you like it.

At 5’11” the 17.5 might be on the short side if you’re long in the body so prob want to consider the next size up.

Not sure about orange paint (tho it will prob all fall off in no time 😀 )

MadPierre

I had an Orange one for years (the paint stayed on fine, it’s years since they had those problems). It’s still going strong and being thrashed by my teenage nephew.

Great all rounder. Not the lightest (mine was about 32 lbs) with air Pikes. But great geometry and feel.

Main reasons I got rid were to save weight (joined the carbon masses) and to get a seat tube that took a Reverb. Coves always had an odd 30.0 seat tube. Dunno if that’s changed?

I had the 19.5 and am just over 6ft.

Vern0n
    Free Member

Bargain at that price tho btw! Go green…

Pezzers
    Free Member

What is it with Cove’s that makes people have more than one.

I have a Hustler, but always wanted a stiffee, got one but it was a 17.5 so swapped it for a 19.5 and its bang on with 150mm revs.

So i have two Cove’s

Oh ye and the paint does not fall off either, but they are both black, the hustler is matt finish.

highlandman
    Free Member

Had an original 4.5″ one from 2004 to 2007, then broke it halfway down the seat tube. Great bike fitted with Pikes, did everything, including munros. Yes, a bit heavy, but seemed very strong until that tube gave way. Crash replaced it with a new one, similar to the current model. That broke in spring 2012, at the end of the Annat descent in Torridon. This time it was the top tube, just beside the seat tube weld. That has been crash replaced, this time with a G-Spot; most of the kit, including the coil Lyrics (was I asking too much..?) transferred over. After one Hustler, two frames and three forks, I’d still recommend it as a do-it-all bike with wide bars, a short stem and reasonably strong wheels. They/it had an awful lot of use over those 8 years and have been some interesting places, mostly upland Scotland but with a bit of Lakes, about ten trips to Spain, a couple of Alps weeks.. I’m sure you get the idea.
    Size wise, I’m also 5’11” and was happy with the 17.5″. I’m long legged though and like a long seat post; the new G is the same 17.5 size, maybe half an inch shorter top tube and is also fine so I wasn’t cramped on that Hustler.

deluded
    Free Member

Pezzers – Member

What can I say – I love Coves, bit of a fanboi.

If you’re 5’11” you ought to really think about the next size up. Coves come up quite short in the top tube.

My Hustler just feels spot on in terms of geometry. The suspension feels reasonably plush and carefree – you don’t really notice it, which I think is a good thing – it goes about its business without too much fuss. Great on the climbs – hunkers down but doesn’t sit/ squat sluggishly in its travel.

Very capable bike.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I had a Hustler and loved it. I loved it to bits as it happens but it put up with a lot of abuse and I definitely used it for more than it was intended for. I replaced it with a G-Spot and love that too. It’s slightly heavier, about a pound I think if I remember right but it pedals better than the Hustler so I think it goes up better than the Hustler ever did. The GSpot feels bombproof and for going down it’s amazing.
    If I couldn’t have another GSpot I wouldn’t hesitate to get another Hustler.

nigew
    Free Member

I’ve owned two and really rate them even though the first snapped at the seat tube.
    Both had coil Pikes on and were more than capable in the UK at trail centres and general riding around Calderdale, Lakes and Peaks.I rode one in Morzine and felt it was out of its depth but to be fair it was mainly on DH tracks trying to keep up with friends on proper DH bikes
    Tried the last one with 160 forks on and it felt wrong so swapped it for a Yeti ASX.
    I would buy another if I had the cash for another bike, im 5’10 and 17.5 felt perfect

Yep, owned 2 Stiffe’s and a Hand Job too 😳

ajc
    Free Member

Had one for 6 or so years and really rate it. Weighs about 32lbs with coil pikes. They are probably a bit dated in terms of suspension design but the geometry is spot on for general ragging around just riding on over and off things. Taken mine to the alps loads where it does feel slightly under sized in the bike parks but great on steep sketchy single track. I am 6’1″ and the 19 in perfect. I also have 2 coves, a 2003 hummer which is also a great bike.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Had one many bikes ago and still remember it as being able to take more abuse than what it was designed for – would advise you to go one size up as you will end up running it with too much seatpost and then the inevitable will happen – it will crack at the seattube/toptube weld as mine did.

baldman
    Free Member

As many have said above, Hustlers are a real all rounder. If I had to have one bike, the hardtail would go and I’d keep the Hustler!

Unless you are short bodied / short armed go for a 19.5″ – I’m 5’10” with 32″ inside leg and the 17.5″ is just big enough.

Has to be orange though 😉

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I owned 3. A real fan. Brilliant brilliant bikes but heavy old boys. But if im honest, my Heckler was better.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Cove Hustlers…’ is closed to new replies.