Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tell me about body boards
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Off to the Outer Hebrides in July. Just the place for some waves but the surfboard is longer than the car so can’t go. Thought about a body board but all I know is that they are no longer those plywood things with an upturned nose that we had in the 70’s. Any tips on what to look for?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Foam coated hard foam with a plastic bottom these days. Loads available on line. Get a bag to carry them if theres a few of you.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You might need some short fins too to be able to catch the wave if the waves are big enough. Not done it for years, great fun.

Danny79
    Free Member

http://bodyboardhq.co.uk/content/buying-guides/buying-your-bodyboard/

Most of what you need to know there, well worth giving them a ring always helpful.

Creg

Go for a crescent tail board with a cold water core (PE core). If you are wanting to paddle into green waves etc then you’ll need fins as well. You’ll also need a leash, up to you whether you want wrist or bicep.

Places like Bodyboard HQ do package deals on boards and fins. You should be able to get a decent setup for around the £75 mark. If you don’t want to spend that much then you can find them on eBay or on the Kernow Bodyboarding forum.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Ring Body Board HQ (VERY VERY good service and won’t sell you something you wont need), but basically unless your a bloater your board should come up to your belly button-ish, as it’s cold Scotish waters go for something with a softer core (DOW/PE)for more flex (sort of like suspension, believe me a double stringered PP core on a cold choppy wave is a filling removing ride). You’ll get a choice of cresent or bat tail, one is faster than the other I cannot remember which.

Get a pair of swim fins, wet suit socks and fin savers and you can play out in the big stuff and catch bigger waves. Leash will be either bicep or wrist, I prefer wrist as less likely to pull shoulder out of socket in a big wipeout.

OR you could go old school and get a traditional cornish belly board

traditional cornish boards

I’m very tempted and according to the owner when your wearing fins and out in the big stuff they are a very connected ride with the wave.

bigad40
    Free Member

I hope you score epic waves! I heard the Outer Hebrides goes off!!!

I Bought a package from Bodyboard HQ a few years ago.
    I grew up worshipping Mike Stewart so it was a no brainer to go for one of his boards, amazingly in my size now.
    I’m tall and always struggled as a kid with limited sizes till I got a proper surfboard.
    I have a pair of Churchill swim fins which I use at the local freedive training session but are brilliant for bodyboarding.
    I found the guys in the shop really helpful on the phone asking my height and weight etc.
    They fitted the leash and posted it pronto with a half decent board bag.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Those traditional boards are the style I remember.
    Spent an hour or two looking at roof bars for a Skoda Citigo in case I could get the wife to let me take the surfboard but I don’t think she wants 10 foot plus of 30lb Bilbo on the roof. Thought by the factory to be early to mid 60’s for those interested.
    Ta

jam-bo

Get a smaller surfboard. Things have moved on a bit since the 60’s….

mattsccm
    Free Member

🙄
    that’s like saying sell my blower Bentley and buy a BMW!
    Wash your mouth out young man.

headfirst
    Free Member

It’s very remote and lonely in the water up there, and beautiful. Be sure you know what you’re doing.

mattsccm
    Free Member

To be honest I suspect we will play in the soup if at all. Trying to borrow a board now.
    May just try some tuition and hire a decent board instead.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about body boards’ is closed to new replies.