Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Tell me about BMX
  • skinnysteel
    Free Member

No. 1 son (11) has decided a BMX is necessary, in addition to his mountain bike. I admit I know nothing about ’em, so please give me a few pointers.
    At least initially it’ll be for hangin’ – his word, not mine. I think this means general cruising around the local streets, and a little light showing off in front of girls. Yes, he’s reached that age. However there is a skate/BMX park next village along which, if he takes to it, may feature.
    So, for starters….
    top-tube length – how critical?
    sealed/unsealed(!?!) hubs?
    rear brake only?
    would it require one of these giro contraptions?
    etc, etc.
    Yes, I really am that ignorant of the subject, despite a lifetime on bikes with bigger wheels.
    Also, any shop recommendations within reasonable travel of Oxford, say Brum thru to Reading?
    So many questions – sorry.
    Thanks for any advice.

hounslow
    Free Member

Disregard gyro’s, but recommend keeping the rear brake on, most bikes will have a crap caliper brake on the front to get it through EU regs but bin it as it won’t work. Evans will have a good selection instore, look for brands such as Wethepeople or Fit. Cheaper BMXs will have shorter TTs as they are aimed at kids, as long as you are capable at hub servicing then unsealed but they tend to only be found on the cheaper end of things.
    Avoid Halfords own brand although the Radio bikes are good (they are owned by WTP and made in the same place).

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Rear brake is a good suggestion but it won’t last. All the kids are brakeless these days. Get a decent looking skid lid so that you have max chance of him actually wearing it.
    See what the locals are riding, do not buy sport shop bikes as they are rubbish. Spend as much as you can afford so that he’ll have something as light and strong as possible.

Enjoy 😀

andeh

Everything you need to know about BMX….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj_ghkWHttg[/video]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about BMX’ is closed to new replies.