Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • tell me about audio recording hardware
  • john_drummer
    Free Member

glad you enjoyed it, and I hope to be able to share it publicly soon.

the only training I’ve had on the studio recording side is watching the engineer in the control room when I’ve done other recordings in a pro studio. You get lots of time for that when your instrument is recorded first…
    That and what I’ve read in “Music Tech” magazine, which is very very good for the musician wanting to move into production.

(I did have drum lessons many years ago. Still can’t figure out where I’m going to put a paradiddle 😉 )

the bass is deliberately dirty – Simon uses a bass overdrive pedal on this song, while on other songs he uses a chorus pedal. Some songs will use both 😯
    The guitars both go through Marshall stacks, both tuned scarily low, with not much treble – seems to work for this song in particular, for us anyway

just goes to show what you can achieve with the Zoom R16 portastudio, a handful of relatively cheap mics, and a decent bit of software. (and some VST plug-ins).
    Cubase AI comes free with the R16, but you can buy a later version for about £80. Then there’s the fun of learning to use the Zoom & the software together…

john_drummer
    Free Member

btw if anyone else wants to hear what Edukator & I are talking about, let me have your email addresses – mine is in my profile.
    I’m not in a position to go public with it yet as the rest of the band haven’t signed it off yet, but I think it’s nearly there.

it’s sort of grunge, very much a 90s Seattle kind of sound

john_drummer
    Free Member

yourguitarhero – love it!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Thanks
    Unfortunately the band has folded.

I’ve got the files for another 3 tracks on the computer so just gonna work on mixing them and get it finished. The other tunes are a bit more stonery/heavy metal style.

Then I’ll just need to find some new people to start a band again!

seosamh77
    Free Member

john_drummer – Member
    btw if anyone else wants to hear what Edukator & I are talking about, let me have your email addresses –

I’ll have a wee listen if you don’t mind (email in profile). Would interested to hear. 🙂

Got that mic the other day btw, good enough for my purposes, nothing to report recording wise(I’m still very much at the play record stage, rather than write, play, record stage at the moment 😳 😆 ), but I’m happy with it! 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

yourguitarhero – Member
    I recorded this one from my band:
    https://soundcloud.com/longhornrock/alarm

sound cloud is broken just now, will listen to this later! 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’ll have a wee listen if you don’t mind (email in profile). Would interested to hear.

incoming 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

sounds good, thanks for that! I like it, only thing I would say is that the chorus vocals probably needs to be a bit stronger, but other than that, good effort! 🙂

btw joe works for me! Even I struggle to pronouce seosamh! 😆

john_drummer
    Free Member

Cheers 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

it’s still a work in progress btw. we may be re-recording the bass without the overdrive this weekend. and some more vocals. and maybe a bit more guitar

_tom_
    Free Member

If you’re still looking for new software I’d highly recommend Reaper. Its so easy to use and is just as flexible, if not more so than the bigger names. I can’t stand cubase or pro tools. They’re so clunky in comparison to Reaper, which is also a fraction of the price!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I use Reaper.
    I like it.

mutley

Reaper for me too, best DAW I’ve used

seosamh77
    Free Member

john_drummer – Member
    it’s still a work in progress btw. we may be re-recording the bass without the overdrive this weekend. and some more vocals. and maybe a bit more guitar

tell me about it! I think my plan of attack next is to step the **** away from the computer and the effects and head back to the acoustic guitar for a while! Add in some musicality, melody and struture to this nonsense! 😆

https://soundcloud.com/joe-connoe/2a-1

john_drummer
    Free Member

yay, I can now go public 🙂

Our War – Chasing Glass

https://soundcloud.com/chasing-glass-1/our-war

recorded in the rehearsal room using a Zoom R16 portastudio; mixed & mastered by me using Cubase AI 5

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘tell me about audio recording hardware’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts