Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tell me about Alfine
  • Norton
    Free Member

Thinking about fitting an Alfine hub to my SS to spare my aged knees.
    What do i need to know – esp. 11 sp vs 8 sp pros and cons – got the impression that the 11speed is not as reliable long term?

Ta

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

8 speed gear range is about the same as running a single ring with an 11 to 32 cassette. Good for spinny distance type riding but the slow pickup makes anything trialsy a lot harder, which is why I sold mine. I wanted to like it but never could for the type of riding I normally enjoy.

Karinofnine

I’ve got an 8 speed Alfine hub on the bike I ride to work on road in the winter.

I like that the gears are enclosed so low maintenance and only have to replace chain, one chain ring, one sprocket.

Dislike, it’s heavy, and big gaps between gears (but I’m used to riding with a derailleur and lots of gears).

For offroad, hmmmmm, not sure, the low maintenance would appeal but nowhere like a big enough gear range for meaaawaszasxsaxs – sorry, I dropped hoummus on my keyboard and was trying to get it out from between the keys – I might look at a Rohloff though, one day when I am rich!

andyv
    Free Member

I have a steel trek sawyer 29er with an alfine8 hub.

Great winter bike due to low maintenence, and really good for mixed road/canal path/trail rides where it trundles along nicely and its weight and momentum keep it rolling. Have just started using it for a bit of bike packing.

I consider to be a bit like a tractor, it’ll go anywhere but not particulatly quickly and I’m not gonna be pulling any 360’s and whips on it.

Saccades
    Free Member

Have a look through my post history, loads of alfine related stuff, my oldest is 5 years old and about to be retired to snow riding only as the cup and cones are pitted through neglect (and swopping to ice spikes is a pain in the bum). Still shifts fine and on all original components (excluding tyres, brake pads and grips).

avdave2

I might look at a Rohloff though, one day when I am rich!

I am rich because I bought a Rohloff and have saved a fortune on replacement drivetrains. 🙂

The 8 speed Alfine seems to generally be very reliable while the 11’s seem to suffer a lot more problems. There is no point in going for hub gears unless you can basically forget about them so I’d go with the 8 if the range is enough for you.

porter_jamie

i have a genesis io with an 8 speed alfine and i really enjoy riding it. i use it as a winter bike. Obviously, it does not have as good a spread of gears as a triple, but thats kinda not the point – it is much better for the hills than a single speed for a weedy person like me. you can definitely feel the extra weight compared to a single speed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Alfine’ is closed to new replies.