Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Tell me about – AC/DC
  • surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Never got into them when younger but have come to enjoy what I have heard on the radio over the years so where do i start? Are they on itunes or do I go to HMV?

Cheers

And no pish posts please.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

They were at their best in the early days before the death of Bon Scott.

phatstanley
    Free Member

They were at their best in the early days before the death of Bon Scott.

wot ^^^ sed.

for a good first album, i’d recommend highway to hell.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevehine

Start with the “Highway to Hell” (Bon Scott) and “Back in Black” (B Johnson) Albums; then depending on which singer you prefer go either back or forward through the album history respectively 🙂

Albums of note (imho):

Powerage (Scott)
    Dirty Deeds (Scott)
    Back in Black (Johnson)
    Razors Edge (Johnson)
    Blow up your video (Johnson)
    High Voltage (Scott)

🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Best albums…

Highway to Hell and Back in Black* (Bon Scott’s last, Brian Johnson’s first respectively).

Dirty Deeds (Done Dirt Cheap) if only for the genius of ‘Ride On’.

If You Want Blood is one of the best live albums ever (only bettered by any of the Kiss ‘Alive’ albums IMO)

But tend to agree that the Bon Scott stuff is better overall.

Black Ice (their latest album) is pretty good though.

*Second best selling album of all time, after Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’.

slimjim78
    Free Member

‘it’s a long way to the top if you wanna rock & roll’

one of my all time faves, just check out the video of them performiong it on the street in Oz back in the 70’s and the bewildered faces on pedestrians.
    I would have rocked myself to bits if I was there.

Awesome

warton
    Free Member

see if you can get a copy of live at the Atlantic recording studios. IMO the best live album ever made.

linky

Murray

Anti Christ / Devil’s Child

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

In simple terms they started off very much a hard blues band and became a rock band about 4 albums in.

hels
    Free Member

The Aussies call them Acker Dacker, which is brilliant.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Anti Christ / Devil’s Child

predictable 🙁

thanks for the heads up I’ll start today!

Muke
    Free Member

Goes well with helicopters 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Evu8L2pF7w[/video]

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I’m guessing you’ve become a dad in the last few years !!

I only speak from experience ….. ACDC and Kids …. ROCK !!

Anyway as above… but BnB for me, over HwH

But my I suggest the IronMan 2 soundtrack … It’s the AcDc compilation album in all but name.

Oh and Live at Donnie on DVD is excellent for watching when your on the turbo trainer…. Sprint the chorus, spin the fast tracks, push a big gear the slighty slow numbers… An hour flies by

nbt

One of the best “mashups” I’ve ever seen

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiH1wNmZTII[/video]

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But my I suggest the IronMan 2 soundtrack … It’s the AcDc compilation album in all but name.

I really can’t get my head around this.

Iron Man.

With an AC/DC soundtrack.

(I know they do refer to Sabbath and he wears a Sabbath tee in the latest film, but.

AC/DC and not Sabbath?

Me not getty.

LS
    Free Member

All the Bon Scott albums are essential, as is Back in Black and at a push, For Those about to Rock. After that it gets patchy although the Razor’s Edge and Black Ice are pretty good.

Form the beginning, High Voltage and Dirty Deeds are a band finding their feet but knocking out some absolutely fantastic blues-based rock. TNT, the Aus-only album, is a mix of both the above but most of the tracks appear elsewhere.
    Let There Be Rock is a proper hard rock album and the closest they got to the ‘heavy metal’ tag sometimes applied to them. It’s nowhere near Sabbath-level metal though and is the first full album with no weak tracks.
    Powerage is the high point, for me at least. Different sound to LTBR and a bit more blues comes back, great mix of fantastic tracks.
    If You Want Blood…. is one of the top 5 live albums, ever. More energy than you can shake a stick at and they are very tight. Some of the versions on here are the definitives.
    Highway to Hell, different sound again. Much more ‘pop’ due to Mutt Lange’s production, but not in a bad way. Great from start to finish.

As mentioned above, if you can get Live from Atlantic Studios from the Bonfire box set, then do it. Considering that it was recorded in front of about 10 people and Bon is clearly hammered, it is truly outstanding. ’74 Jailbreak is the easiest way to get hold of some of the originally Aus-only tracks and is worth it for Angus’ playing on Soul Stripper alone.

Taff
    Free Member

Think I’ve got most fo the albums and they are awesome. Think you’re best bet is Amazon MP3 downloader nuless you have itunes vouchers burning a hole in your pocket.

warton
    Free Member

Angus’s playing in the early Bon Scott stuff, especially live is up there with the greatest ever, the sound he gets out of that SG is incredible.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I’ve been a big Stones and Led Zep fan over the years (got an almost complete Stones collection) but about a month ago Chris Evans on R2 played 2 Led Zep and 2 AC/DC tracks back to back and it was one of the best things I’d heard in ages! Hence the query..
    Cheers

duckman

Can’t get any of the albums on either amazon or itunes. Highway to Hell is one of the finest rock albums of all time and a classic. Back in Black is also very good.

LS
    Free Member

Oh yes, forgot – the Live at Donington DVD is the best concert DVD you’ll ever see. The crowd are right up for them, they’re blistering (and they know it from about two tracks in. You can see Brian clenching his fist at Angus in a ‘Christ, we’re on it tonight!’ way) and the production quality is off the scale. It’s the benchmark for how to film a concert in terms of cameras, helicopter shots etc. Which is quite an achievemnt when you consider it was 21 years ago.

I wasn’t allowed to go – my Mum said I was too young at 14 🙁 All my mates went and to this day they still remind me of the fact.
    I’ve seen them a dozen times since but as I’m too young to have seen Bon, Donington 91 is the one I really should’ve been at.

igm

It’s a long way to the shops of you want a sausage roll

Sorry – just had to

I also love Who made who mainly because of the opening scenes of Maximum Overdrive.

ricardo666
    Free Member

Yer I seen acdc at donington in ’91 with metallica for support. We all went in my mates transit van, What a day out that was, with likes of motley crue for starters, The video/dvd is well worth a watch. Still have great memories to this day.

Been into them since late school/college, picked up most of the albums from record and cd fairs, likes of if you want blood and highway to hell still getting played in the car on my stereo to this day.

I off to fire up youtube now. bye

foolishmiracles
    Free Member

Nods head to the above. I also like the live version of Guns for Hire.(Think it was a B side to Nervous Shakedown or similar?)

Ive also got recordings off of a mate of a mate called Volts. Includes a different version of Touch Too Much, Back Seat Confidential (Beating around the Bush) and Dirt Eyes (WHole Lotta Rosie) A Must listen to for the hardcore DC fans 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

AC = Alternating Current, usually mains 240v

DC = Direct Current, usually menaing battery power.

Does that help any?

😉

LS
    Free Member

Volts is another CD from the Bonfire box set. Well worth buying if you can still get it 😀

ThePinkster

Tell me about – AC/DC

Wanna tell you a story,
    About a woman I know…..

Big Balls came on the player in the car a short while ago. Haven’t heard it in agaes but it immediately put a big grin on my face which I still have now. 😀 😀

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The video/dvd is well worth a watch

This one is the best…

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/AC-DC-Let-There-Be-Rock-Blu-ray/20680/

Angus Young’s performance on the solo in Let There Be Rock is utterly spellbinding.

foolishmiracles
    Free Member

Fly on the Wall, Sink the Pink, Shake your Foundations gotta be worth a mention of the “later” stuff 😀

greyman
    Free Member

Agree with most of the above, Bon Scott era the better (saw that lineup in the Mayfair, Newcastle, back in the day – really on fire) but Back in Black a great effort too. To be honest I think they never really hit those heights again with Brian out front. His (ex)missus was my neighbour !
    G

nicko74

The Aussies call them Acker Dacker, which is brilliant.

😯

But my I suggest the IronMan 2 soundtrack

That’s where I started. Pretty good mix I think, and then take it from there depending on which tracks you prefer

restless
    Free Member

I wasn’t allowed to go – my Mum said I was too young at 14 All my mates went and to this day they still remind me of the fact.
    I’ve seen them a dozen times since but as I’m too young to have seen Bon, Donington 91 is the one I really should’ve been at.

I went to that one at 14 😆

Was very good :mrgreen:

martinhutch

My lad (9) asked me for an explanation of the lyrics of ‘She Shook Me All Night Long’ the other day.

Shoot to Thrill is my ultimate climbing training psyche-ing up/injuring myself by trying too hard track.

LS
    Free Member

restless

I went to that one at 14

Was very good

Yeah, thanks 😆

emsz
    Free Member

for a good first album,

Albums of note

Best albums…

It doesn’t matter, they’re all the same 😉

warton
    Free Member

His (ex)missus was my neighbour !

Was that when he lived on Queens terrace in Jesmond?

edlong
    Free Member

I’m kinda with emsz on this, I like ’em but once you’ve heard a few songs, they do all start to sound a bit samey.

In fact, when I first picked up a guitar, my mate, who was a fan, and a bloody good guitarist, taught me the obligatory 4 chords (yeah, you need C for a few of them) and I could pretty much play their entire output (rhythm parts, obv.) while he played the Angus showboating solos.

totalshell

high voltage dirty deeds best track of all.. Rosie live. absolutely beyond any question my FAV band ever.. shoulder length greasy hair, skin tight black cords, cowboy boots. bullet belt and MSG tour t shirt all the clothes i ever wore for about 3 years.. 1979/80 ish..

trambler

Never get tired of the Bon Scott stuff and early BJ stuff, it may sound all the same and is, but it works for me and millions of others, so who gives a ****. Live Wire are a great DC tribute band and well a look. My fav’s are ‘If you want blood’, ‘Problem Child’ and well em all really

greyman
    Free Member

@Warton – nope, Carole lived with a certain ex no 9 down at St Peters for a while …

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about – AC/DC’ is closed to new replies.