Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tell me about 37mm road tyres Please
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

hi

I’ve been wondering about turning the winter roadie into a temporary commuter as my regular bike has about had enough

The roads here are pretty rough and I would plan to fit something wide to it, most probably 37mm or so “something’s”

Whilst this would help the commute can anyone tell me how big road tyres roll compared to the 25mm Gatorskins I’m currently using please?

I don’t mind them being a bit draggy but am worried about club runs

Cheers

njee20
    Free Member

If it’s a proper road bike you have no chance of getting 37s in there…

dknwhy

As above. My bike struggled with 25mm tyres and they just about cleared.

I use 35mm Cyclocross speed tyres on my cross/winter bike. They’re marginally slower than my 25mm tyres so I doubt you’ll have an issue in terms of speed.

Personally, I wouldn’t bother going that wide though and would opt for a 28mm (32 max if you get clearance) and something lightish but durable like a Schwalbe Durano.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheSanityAssassin

Depends on your club run speed, but a pair of Schwalbe Durano Plus in 700 x 25c will see you right. They’re bullet proof, a little forgiving, long lasting and you won’t feel like you’re towing a bath of concrete everywhere.

cynic-al
    Free Member

They will roll better than narrower tyres (all other things being equal).

They are heavier though, and you will feel that, I don’t think it will slow you down over the rolling resistance.

Most 35-37 tyres will have heavier tread etc than 25s do will actually roll slower.

Why not fix/maintain the “preferred” bike?

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have used 37mm Conti’s ( Contacts I think).Fine but a bit sluggish when climbing etc. Currently I am running Challenge Strada Bianca’s in 30mm at 80psi. Did notice a slight disadvantage in a freewheeling game at the weekend but I was the lightest there as well. Lovely ride.
    Guess room available will be the decider though.

tthew

32mm Conti Sport Contacts roll well, not too heavy and pretty much bomb proof for normal punctures. Never really used them on rough/potholed roads so not sure about snakebites. Good price at Wiggle just now as there’s a new version just come out.

matts
    Free Member

Don’t think the tyres make enough of a difference to bother about it on the winter club run. I did 2 winters on a set of WTB All Terrain 32s, and one of the Cat 1s does all his winter miles on an old steel MTB with knobblies.

convert

Firstly, as above, check for clearance. It would be surprising if the frame can take 37mm rubber at all let alone along with guards (which I am assuming you plan on using if this is a winter/commute bike).

I’m not up on all the brands/models out there now but getting something lightish in 37 could be an issue. 32 might be a better compromise size. When I was riding a lot with a club (most of whom persisted with riding summer bikes through the winter as seems to be the way a lot in the south, making riding a tank more of a challenge) I have to say I did have 2 sets of wheels for my winter hack (converted cross bike) – 32mm tough heavy marathon plus touring tyres and 25mm conti 4 seasons and switched between them depending on if I was commuting in the dark on horrible roads or hanging on for dear life in a chain gang. It might well have been a placebo effect but switching made me feel faster!

Northwind

35mm Kojaks in my “fast hybrid”- not quite a road bike but it does the job most folks’d have a roadie for. They’re a little slower than a 25 on perfect surfaces, faster and safer on bad surfaces, not that much heavier despite a little puncture protection… Good stuff. But they barely fit in my hybrid frame with mudguards (cutting and melting required) let alone a road bike.

Can’t see me ever going back to skinny rubber tbh but, tools for jobs.

TiRed

25C schwalbe Durano should be wide enough. Schwalbe come up a little wider than their nominal rating. I ride 25c on everything except my 27c Vittoria Paves, which I have raced on but not really tested on the commute for resistance to cuts.

For club runs, I have ridden Marathon Plus (in 25c) and they do drag, but that won’t hold you back too much.

There is a big difference between a wide 25c and a narrow 23c. Personally, I think 32 and above would be overkill.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Depends entirely on the tyres IMO

The Vittoria Hyper’s currently cheap from On-one are very fast (they actually seem to be 622-37 – 700*35mm). They are very similar to a race tyre, just in a much larger size.

Something like a heavy puncture proof touring tyre is likely to be a lot slower.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about 37mm road tyres Please’ is closed to new replies.