Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tell me about 10 speed chains
  • RealMan
    Free Member

I have a few questions regarding 10 speed chains.

I've always been a fan of wippermann connex chains, and have been using their 908 chains for a while now. The quick links are fantastic, much better then that sram rubbish.

However, the 10 speed connex range is different from the 9 speed.

Can anyone tell me what's the 10 speed equivalent of the 908?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/search/cycle/7/?Wd=10%20speed%20connex

Also, anyone know a cheaper place to buy these?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Wippermann_Connex_Chain_Link_%2810_Speed%29/5360012648/

£6.64 for a quick link!

And breaking and joining 10 speed chains, is it pretty much the same as 9 speed? Or do you have to do it differently?

RealMan
    Free Member

Really? No one?

bassspine
    Free Member

IME there are lots of subtle compatibility problems with 10 speed chains. Shimano chains don't play well with FSA or SRAM components.

no idea whatsoever on your questions about 908s or quicklinks.

joining 10speed seems much more difficult – SRAM/sachs use one shot links that aren't supposed to be reuseable (but may actually work if reused). I suspect the tolerances are so small that it amplifies any problems.

mooman
    Free Member

i have used the sram 10speed powerlink connector.
    Its the same the split the chain as a 9speed. Though found the powerlinks very very tight to connect.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I like KMC 10sp chains and the connectors are easy enough to use. I also bought some from Decathlon for a sensible price – they're repackaged KMC IIRC.

mooman
    Free Member

i have used the sram 10speed powerlink connector.
    Its the same the split the chain as a 9speed. Though found the powerlinks very very tight to connect.

ando227
    Free Member

loving the simplicity and reliability of my 8 speed twin ring set up ta very much. plenty enough gears for an old cronk like me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about 10 speed chains’ is closed to new replies.