Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tell a lazy chap about DT Swiss wheels.
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s always easier to ask on here and there are so many wheels on their website that I’m struggling to work out what’s what – E, XM, 1700, 1501 and all that 🙂

I’m picking up from other thread that DT Swiss are on their game at the moment for wheels, and I’ve also picked up that 350 hubs are decent and 240s are maybe great. What’s not obvious , to me anyway, is which of their factory wheels are for what, and which hubs the different models use.

Can anyone summarise for me 🙂 ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

generally round and the hubs are more whirry than hope clicky

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

What size? 26/650b/29?

wrecker
    Free Member

I know that the 1501’s have 240s hubs (or near as dammit)
    XR = cross country
    XM = Trail
    EX = Enduro
    FR = Freeride/DH
    I think that the numbers (1501 etc) is weight related?

hatter

X/XR/XRC = Cross Country
    M/XM/XMC = Trail
    E/EX = Enduro
    FR = Downhill
    BR – Fat Bike

More letters = More posh, ‘C’ = Carbon.

The numbers generally relate to weight and as a rule the lower the number the posher the wheel.

i.e. XMC 1200 = Super posh carbon trail wheel
    M 1900 = Entry level trail wheel

thegreatape
    Free Member

Splendid, thanks. Looking at 29″.

Nice to see someone else at my level mikewsmith 🙂

Northwind

Totally confusing range tbh but they’ve made some of the best hubs for years (240), now they make affordable hubs that are damn nearly as good (350), their spokes are ace and their new rims seem to be Incredibly Awesome. They’re not cheap but you can’t go far wrong with em IMO

I think I’d still be tempted to track down some used 240s and custom build, just because it’d be cheaper and I could use proper j-pulls. But still.

wrecker
    Free Member

^^ what northwind said. Brilliant products.

stevied
    Free Member

I was looking at some factory wheels but ended up going with a custom built set. I chose all DT parts, laced them myself then had the LBS tension/true.

Worked out much cheaper than buying a set.

350 Straight pull hubs
    EX471 rims
    AeroComp spokes.

Very good quality, rims are light but super-tough and hubs are quiet/smooth.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I had a set of M1700 Spline Two wheels and really liked them – they were a big step up in terms of stiffness compared to the RF Turbines that they replaced. They were a piece of cake to set up tubeless too.

They were one of the few factory built wheels that I didn’t manage to ding – my Easton’s and Turbines had plenty of dings that had to be straightened out.

matther01
    Free Member

Think the 1501s have 240 internals but are even lighter due to the machining process or something. I was going to get the older style 1501s but they only came in 28 spoke and 23″ (ish) internal width. Went with 240hubs, rev spokes and 27.5 easton arc rims. 1643g for the pair and very very nice. There’s a Polish eBay bike shop that sells good priced DT hubs

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cheers. Would definitely prefer normal spokes, are the factory sets all straight pull?

matther01
    Free Member

I think the splines are

benpinnick

All the X, M and E series at all levels are Straight pull.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ok thanks

Goldigger
    Free Member

New 1501 Spline One Wheels from DT

Got my eye on these when they get released.. XM or EX not sure what’s best 25 or 30mm…25 is equal to a flow ex..

Edit: more info

tom200

I’ve got some M1700 spline 2 29ers and they are great. Freehub can be serviced in 5min with no tools, setup tubeless first go with a track pump, despite continental tyres. My only crtisism is they are a bit too quite!

Goldigger
    Free Member
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tell a lazy chap about DT Swiss wheels.’ is closed to new replies.