Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Telford MTB Nationals 1987
  • andylitespeed
    Free Member

Does anyone remember this? Trying to recreate the route of the Saturday ride before the race on Sunday for a 30th aniversary ride with some mates.

Friend of mine has been in touch with Jeremy Tor the organiser but he does not have the route.

It started at Telford train station and possbly headed over to the Wrekin and ended at Iron Bridge.

I understand there is a Sus Trans from Iron Bridge so we could use that. Any route suggestions from the train station to Wrekin then Iron Bridge would be appreciated!

cheers
    Andy

Garry_Lager

I’ve ridden the Wrekin to ironbridge a few times – it’s not exciting mountain biking, just linking up paths and BWs, but it’s nice enough. Usually come back on the fp through limekiln wood to limekiln lane, then BW / fp through short wood and across Lawley to the ironbridge way. You could take this all the way down (very poorly signposted these days), but I prefer to get off it round lightmoor and take the discrete fp off crackshall lane down through Vane coppice. Cross the railway line on a footbridge and you’re in the woods behind rough park, loads of paths to go up and over to IBridge.

Simpler route would be just head down Buildwas la at little wenlock and you can take a lengthy descent on a rough farm track all the way to the Severn. You could then cross the river on the main road and pick up the BW behind the power station, pushing up to the top of Benthall edge woods. You’re then at the top of the gorge on the other side and have some altitude at your disposal to drop down through the woods [although only one BW there].

Doubt that has anything to do with the MTB nationals 1987, but might give you some ideas.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My old stomping ground Ironbridge.. road and mtb… can’t help with the route from 87′, can’t say I even remember any MTB racing there at all.. but I was doing A levels at the time..

But Gary’s routes I know very well indeed.

Do you still ride there Garry??

andylitespeed
    Free Member

Excellent, just the job thanks Garry!

I seem to remember a longish ride on the Saturday with some technical descents, one of the newspapers turned up (Independant?) and did a group picture.

Race was on the Sunday and was basically a short circular route round a field, small grassy hill and wooden section.

Anyway, thanks again!

Garry_Lager

ikebouy – Member

My old stomping ground Ironbridge.. road and mtb… can’t help with the route from 87′, can’t say I even remember any MTB racing there at all.. but I was doing A levels at the time..

But Gary’s routes I know very well indeed.

Do you still ride there Garry?? Not local myself, but my wife’s from Ironbridge, so I ride there a couple of times a year visiting the inlaws.
    I enjoy riding round there – Telford’s not known as an area of outstanding natural beauty, but it has some nice parts and is full of paths to link stuff together. Plus the Wrekin and Ercall are obv quality riding spots.

National clarion Autumn meet is there this year that I’d like to attend for some road riding, but have to see how it fits in with the CX.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nice!

I used to ride the old railway track from the Bridge all the way down to Bridgnorth, it was a lovely route back then. Also the woods behind the Powerstation were a favourite. A long time ago there was a few quarry’s, one at the top of Church Hill (out of Ironbridge) on the left above the woods.. all as you’ve described really..

Oh, memories.

Edit.. looks like that old railway track is now NCN 45 !!

brant
    Free Member

I got lost with Tim Flooks and John Stevenson on the ride coming into Ironbridge.

My dad didn’t. I’ll ask him if he remembers.

muddyfoxcourier
    Free Member

Who IS this Andy litespeed character….

Yea. Thanks guys.
    I’m ” organising ” a ride over that way , that, up to now , has consisted of me doing a bit of online mapping , emailing the local club , and as Andy said , emailing the original organiser, Jeremy , whom I have bounced some correspondence to over the years.

Plans for the 2017 edition are for it to be relatively easy ” rolling ” spin.
    Nothing to do with the fact that Andy and I are 30yrs older.

Any info that anyone could throw our way would be gratefully received.
    Looking to do a circuit of sorts, either starting in or around Ironbridge or Telford , but either way , visiting both, and definitely taking in The Wrekin .

As Andy said , the original was in Telford Park , near the Stirchley Chimney.
    The original ride was a friendly inclusive thing , but I do remember some sketchy bits , and a spate of pinch flats , that I would like to recreate as closely as possible.
    Later on, we were refused a table in a gastropub ( before the phrase was even coined !) because of a mates skinhead haircut , so if any of you know any maitre d’s in the area , who have a pervasive dislike of 80s U.S hardcore punk , that would also be a big help.

Seriously though , any help on the route would be good.
    And a decent pub.

Tim

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Telford MTB Nationals 1987’ is closed to new replies.