Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Teflon Grease good for hubs/bearings or better with REAL grease?
  • GrahamS

So I’m rebuilding a Hope XC hub and I started wondering about my choice of grease (for pawls, bearings, etc)

I normally use Finish Line Teflon grease:

But thinking about it, Teflon-based dry lube doesn’t seem to last very long on my chain, especially if it rains.

So does this mean Teflon grease also has a short lifespan?

Would I be better off using a real (oil-based) grease to maximise the service interval? Or am I comparing apples and coconuts?

What sayeth the Mind?

robj20
    Free Member

I use CV grease for bearings, and copper grease for anti-seize applications. Each are about £5 for 500g and will last a lifetime on a MTB.
    I dont buy into all this over priced MTB specific stuff.

GrahamS

Isn’t the idea of bike-specific stuff that it can (and should) be a fair bit lighter than grease used on cars etc cos it isn’t subject to the same forces and has to work at a much lower temperature?

A 100g tub of Teflon grease is only £9 and I’ve had the same one for over a decade, so yeah it is more pricey but hardly breaks the bank!

trail_rat
    Free Member

my experiance of the grease you posted above is that it pretty much evaporates seconds after fitting 😉

when i need low friction (tt and road race wheels) ill oil the bearings …. on my MTB im happy to live with a bit of friction in exchange for a life span of more than 10 minutes

* edit – just take a look at the grease that comes stock in shimano hubs and bearings – its a fair bit thicker than that teflon stuff you have.

fwiw i use jet lube ep73 red grease.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I use the Rock and roll greases

Super slick in the forks, super web in bearings and super coat on press fit stuff

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Teflon Grease good for hubs/bearings or better with REAL grease?’ is closed to new replies.