Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Teenage daughter-track world – car insurance
  • charliemort

shopping around for insurance adding our daughter on a provisional license

now – what to look out for? I suspect the cheapest (£450 ish on a Peugeot 206 1.1) may well crank the premium right up when she passes her test. I tried changing her license from provisional to full on gocompare and the cheapest with provisional didn’t even show up in the results

any advice?

thanks

charlie

simmy
    Free Member

Is this adding her to an existing policy, your car, or getting her the Peugeot or simular for herself to learn in and eventually insure as her own ?

If it’s her car, she will have to be the policyholder. That doesn’t matter if she is a provisional or full licence holder.

charliemort

quoted over £1000 to add her to existing policy (with 7 months to run) so thinking of taking out a new policy with me as owner and adding her as additional driver initially on provisional license

Suggsey
    Free Member

I insured my daughters as main driver and policyholder on Their own cars as soon as the provisional licences arrived to increase their building up of no claims bonus faster. With the wife and me on as named drivers it made for reasonable premiums. The cars were a VW Polo 1.0l and a Peugeot 106 1.0l. On both occasions once they had passed and we contacted the insurers to notify them ie update their licences to full licence holders they loaded the premiums but the plain fact is by then they were six months ahead of all their friends on earning their first years no claims which in the long run has paid for itself as and when they left home and were self financing their cars.
    It’s so often false long term economy for parents to insure the cars in their names and add the provisional licence holder as a named driver as so few companies give full years no claims bonus when they do fly the next/self finance their cars.

simmy
    Free Member

Be careful as that can be seen as ” fronting ” by insurances.

They have clamped down big style on young drivers going as named drivers on parents policies. The problems start if anything happens and they come out and see a, for example, Yaris or Clio with pink fluffy seatbelt covers girlie air freshener etc and the policyholder is a middle age married man 😉

They then figure out that it’s the girls car. Might be OK whilst she is learning, but be carefull when she passes.

It’s been discussed on here before.

cookeaa

quoted over £1000 to add her to existing policy (with 7 months to run) so thinking of taking out a new policy with me as owner and adding her as additional driver initially on provisional license

Is the car going to be primarily driven by her? If so then I’m sure the insurance company will happily take your money, and should she have a bump they will wriggle like buggery to get out of paying, best to just put it in her name from the outset, swallow the high initial costs and get her no claims building up ASAP…

falkirk-mark

Try temp learner only car insurance (can be bought monthly) its what I used for my lad for a month before he sat his test. Pretty sure it was these folk

https://www.collingwoodlearners.co.uk/

Tracey

If you have more than one car then give Admiral a ring and talk to them about multicar policies. Most of us at work have had the same problem and they have come out by far the cheapest when all the cars are with them. Latest colleague did it last week for his seventeen year old daughter. We will be adding Abigale to ours soon as she has just started learning. Katie has been on it a couple of years and now has her own car. Admiral did say that they can build up their no claims bonus whilst been on another policy with them and it will be taken into account when they get their own car.

br
    Free Member

shopping around for insurance adding our daughter on a provisional license

tbh We didn’t for our elder two nor will the younger one be going on, use the cash for lessons and once they are passed work out what to do.

Sandwich

Like Tracey I recommend Admiral for multi-car policies with the parents named on the off-spring insurance to reduce the cost.

Sandwich Jr failed his first test and one month extra learner driving on his own policy reduced the premium uplift by £300 when he passed and went solo. He also did Pass Plus afterwards and had a further reduction. (He was out all day and came home, to sleep at 5pm, his brain was fried from the concentration and long hours driving).

Scapegoat

Just going through it all with twins….. Daughter on a provisional only policy with me as named driver and her as registered keeper on her late grandmother’s Fiesta, £450 with Adrian Flux.
    Son had a similar policy on his cheap old Jimny, then passed and has to finish off a partial payment, but now has his Jimny insured with me as named driver on a Tesco black box policy (limited mileage of 8000 per year, but can earn extra insured miles or buy them if he needs to ) for £1999 comprehensive.

As a rule of thumb, don’t renew with the same insurer once they pass. The provisional-only policies can be had surprisingly cheap, but their young driver policies are punitive. You have to cancel a provisional-only as soon as they pass, but you don’t have to stay with the same insurers.

Marmalade are worth a google if you want to put a provisional driver on your own car.

DO NOT front them as named drivers on their own car.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Teenage daughter-track world – car insurance’ is closed to new replies.