Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • tedious washing machine and tumble dryer purchase questions
  • spawnofyorkshire

sorry

for the first time in my life I’m going to buy a washing machine and tumble dryer (condensing) rather than just inherit a dead relatives old one (no one’s died recently, but my washing machine is about to).

Can you buy reasonable ones that aren’t too noisy for £200 each? If so where’s a good place to buy them / anyone seen any good deals recently?

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Just before Christmas I had buy my son one of each as theirs had died and they have a new baby and no money!

Zanussi washing machine £250, Indesit dryer £150. Both from Currys, and got cashback from TopCashBack.

Both seem to do the job nicely for them and within your budget.

jam-bo

This is STW.

You need to be spending five times that on hand built appliances to get approval.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

We went for a Hotpoint with Comet 🙂 But this time went for a large load one, brilliant, wish we’d done it years ago.

As for the Dryer, big one two.

Just choose a ‘name’, and get a basic one.

lasty
    Free Member

Zanussi for the washer – avoid beko, quality has dropped lately..

Best Dryer ?? Probably Hotpoint but its a lottery these days !

toys19
    Free Member

Dunno about 5 times as much, but as a landlord of student properties, my limited experience (13 years renting out three houses), tells me that Bosch kit is excellent and really reliable. I know its more expensive but they just work and last well.

piemonster

Bosch, with few features

Repair geezer (for a now dead Hotpoint)who came round advised against Hotpoint/Indesit. Could be a double bluff of course. he has the motive.

ross980
    Free Member

If your budget will stretch I’d recommend a basic Bosch too. All our Hotpoint appliances have had faults with 2 years and the 5 year warranty only covers parts. Bosch costs more (just over £300 for my washing machine bought a few weeks ago) but parts are kept available for at least 10 years. Our last Bosch washing machine lasted 9 years (daily use) until I accidently killed it (the new one only cost about £30 more too)

FuzzyWuzzy

Get a decent washer dryer for £400 instead? My first one was a Zanussi that lasted for 10 years (bought it because it was cheap + good features rather than brand rep) so replaced it with another Zanussi and that’s been going fine for 5 years. I’m single though so only gets used a couple of times a week, I guess wouldn’t last as long for a family!

GrahamS

Dryer: we recently went for a Beko DPU 8360.

http://www.beko.co.uk/Item/DPU8360

Expensive up front (£337 from appliances online) but it uses a heat pump to give it A+++ energy rating which means it works out cheaper in the long run (I calculated it would pay for itself in 3 years at our current usage and energy prices)

The reviews at revoo let you compare energy usage directly:
    http://www.reevoo.com/browse/product_type/tumble-dryers/product_brand/Beko

It also has a few nice features: big drum, big door, sensor drying, interior light, anti-crease, time delay, time till finish, and it can be plumbed in to save emptying the condenser all the time

T1000
    Free Member

assuming you’ve got an outside wall I’d recomend a White Knight GAS tumble dryer really fast v cheap to run

Don’t think anyone on the high street sells them so not very common ….not the preetiest machine but excellent

about 250 + 280 (+ you’d need a gas conection last time that cost us £50

spawnofyorkshire

thanks for all the advice folks. As usual STW is a great source of info 🙂

Not sure if my budget will stretch far enough for the bosch stuff but i’ll have a look to see if i can go that way.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What the difference between hot fil and cold fill washing machines, just wondering as our current one is cold fill and I’ve a spare one that’s hot fill, is it just an extra pipe or will the hot fill only have a small heating element?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Get a decent washer dryer for £400 instead?

You can not get a decent washer/dryer for £400. Separates of both cheaper to run and better.

Beko win all the Which tests etc (at the budget end). We just bought a new washing machine and went for a best buy Bosch at £430. Beko was the next at some thing like £240. Just google it.

piemonster

I’d recomend a White Knight GAS tumble dryer

Spotted one of these at the skip when dropping the Hotpoint off.

Burned out, I noted the brand and thought no thanks.

On the washer dryer front, the Oracle that was the repair geezer advised to steer clear of them.

piemonster

What the difference between hot fil and cold fill washing machines

Yep just an extra pipe. Into your hot water funnily enough

I think they’ve pretty much been phased out of production these days and it’s mostly cold fill

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Seems silly given gas costs about half electricity to heat the water. Figures though as the installed one is fairly new (in an all electric flat) and the spare I swapped for some of those old halogen smart bike lights (well i got it free and noticed he still used them for commuting so gave mine as spares).

GrahamS

AFAIK hot fill is useful in that it can take in hot water that has already been heated by your boiler.

Potentially a good thing IF your boiler is more efficient at heating water than your washing machine.

lasty
    Free Member

Problem with the large capacity jobs is the majority still run the same size bearings as the smaller 6kg units making them a tad fragile if theyre stuffed regularly – replaced the bearings in quite a few new-ish machines but scrapped dozens because the tubs are sealed and bearing cant be replaced.
    Avoid washer-dryers, uneconomical and tempremental.
    If you can run to a bosch do it, go for a basic non-digital unit and youll never regret it. Failing Bosch, next option would be Zanussi.
    Dryer ?? Again basic and non-digital. Hotpoint were taken over by Indesit and instead of indesit raising their game to Hotpoint standards they dragged Hotpoint down to the Indesit level of operating.
    Many on here will scoff but the older stuff is often more reliable than the latest wizz-bang digital rubbish…..
    Having to repair these i can assure you new isnt always best … 😉

GrahamS

Many on here will scoff but the older stuff is often more reliable than the latest wizz-bang digital rubbish…..

Yep. We just gave away our old tumble dryer – it was still functioning perfectly.

Very basic venting model and the only control was a mechanical dial for the time. Was my mum’s before I received it – probably been in use for 15 odd years now.

Simple and user servicable. Though the only thing I can ever remember doing to it was changing the belt.

If we had somewhere to vent it to I’d have kept it for another 15 years 😀

spawnofyorkshire

i need a cold fill as i’m in a rented flat with an immersion heater for hot water.

cheers for the advice lasty, gonna try and get bosch if i can and zanussi as a fall back. Been doing the maths and think i can stretch a little further, cash flow wouldn’t have been a problem if i hadn’t just dropped a load of new bits on my bike!

SD-253
    Free Member

Bought a Miele 7 years ago shouldn’t have, as I live alone I will probably have to leave it in my will to one of my daughters which will just course arguements. Buy Miele if you are going to get use out of it IE you got 10 kids.
    serious consideration to a spinner. This is a device for removing some extra water from your clothes before drying them. They spin at 2700rpm and take half wash load. Roughly it will take an extra pint out of each half load. Cost about 80 pound from Asda. Look around 2nd hand a lot of people buy and don’t use them…lazy sods. Either way should get your money back.
    PS bought a 2nd hand one for 30 pound but bought it for making cider. Spin speed is so high it takes out more juice than a press.
    PPS bought a 2nd hand garden shreeder for choping up the apples.
    PPS Never used either for what they are made for!

toys19
    Free Member

Cold fill is more efficient in the vast majority of applications.

Numbers plucked from air:

15 metre pipe run from boiler to machine = 2.7 litre of water
    Boiler outputs about 15 litres a min. If it is a combi then it will take 20 secs to warm up.
    Machine onlyntakes 14 litres anyway.

So the initial fill takes water at half temp. Leaves three litres of hot water cooling in the pipe, and the boiler pump runs for 5 mins dumping heat into the radiators…
    Better to heat it in the machine and onoy heat exactly what you need.

GrahamS

Makes sense toys.

Though you also need to account for cost: gas boiler versus electric element in washing machine. Plus when our heating is on the hot water is so hot that I suspect for a 40° wash the machine only take 5 litres hot and the rest cold!

lasty
    Free Member

^^^^ as above – no point in having hot fill these days – Toys, im with you on that fact – by the time any useful hot water has got to the machine its cold. Youll find most machines do 3 or 4 shot fills anyway 😆

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘tedious washing machine and tumble dryer purchase questions’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts