Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Tedious post I know but….what road bike for a grand?
  • indiajazz
    Free Member

Really sorry for this, but I’ve got a friend looking to buy a road bike for around a £1,000,he generally wants it for pottering around The Chilterns etc,I’ve told him to get a mountain bike but he just won’t listen!……thanks in advance x

andyruss
    Free Member

Boardman team £999.99 or team carbon £1299.99 good starting point

indiajazz
    Free Member

He has mentioned a Boardman,I’ve always had a steel mtb frame but would you recommend one for a road bike?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

CAAD10 105 for £1250 in the sales. Or a boardman. Or whatever headline grabbing bike planet-x have, usualy a banner allong these lines;

“complete planet-x pro carbon with SRAM Red* for £999”

*cables, actual spec is apex.

He has mentioned a Boardman,I’ve always had a steel mtb frame but would you recommend one for a road bike?

No reason why not, except they’re usualy heavier and worse spec than their carbon counterparts, just like MTB’s (why buy a 456 when a c456 is £150 more) 🙂 Genesis and the PX kaffenback are the only ones that spring to mind in that price range.

I’d probably get something with guards and toruing wheels if he’s no intention of going quickly. Which would tip me towards the kaffenback.
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXKAFFDISC/planet_x_kaffenback_sram_force_disc
    + some 32c conti ultra sports (far cheeper than GP4seasons)
    + SKS chromoplastics.

chakaping
    Free Member

Boardman road bikes are excellent.

I’ve got the Team Carbon and it’s very light, fast and comfy.

andyruss
    Free Member

Read the reviews on the board mans. Giant defy are good frames but slightly down on spec or the cube peloton

indiajazz
    Free Member

This is really helpful thanks.

Crag
    Free Member
    Leku
    Free Member

RustySpanner

What about a touring/cross-ish bike?
    Makes the most sense for the most people.

Long Haul Truckers are lovely things.

bails

I’d agree with the idea of a roadified CX bike, if it can take guards and has brakes that work in the wet (discs) then it’ll be better for year round use.

Otherwise, Canyon?

indiajazz
    Free Member

I’ve got a Soul,so I’ve pointed him in the Cotic direction but I’m trying not to be too forceful !!

grum
    Free Member

Cube Agree GTC is slightly over budget but looks great, in a somewhat flashy kind of way. 🙂

A touring/cross type bike is much more sensible though. I love my Kaffenback.

chakaping
    Free Member

Your mate should probably try to get a go on a racey road bike and a more relaxed one – and maybe a steel niche-wagon too if he’s seriously considering one.

My thinking when I got a road bike was that I wanted to go as fast as possible to make it fun. If your friend is only interested in bimbling then a racey bike might not be the best choice – but he might find he gets seduced by the handling.

mike_p
    Free Member

I did this back in the summer and went for a Giant Defy 1. No regrets, it’s excellent. I found the Boardmans heavy and too long in the TT.

coopersport1
    Free Member

GENESIS VOLANT Use spare cash for lights, kit etc

dizcostix
    Free Member

canyon roadlite – good value for money.

use competitive cyclist.com bicycle fit calcultor then look at the geoms for guidance on sizing

turbo1397
    Free Member

Giant defy 1.. 😆

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

canyon roadlite – good value for money

canyon roadlite 7 is AMAZING VFM (full Ultegra, carbon forks) and Canyon know how to build and design a road bike (Gilbert won classics on their Ultimate Al frame stickered up to look like the higher end carbon offering). Nothing comes close IMHO.

If direct/foreign marketing is a no-no, a reduced Cannondale-even full rrp their Caad ally bikes are good value and all their road bikes are well regarded.

Will he be using C2W? This is the price cap so loads of competition at this price point and some nice bikes out there. The Cube is lovely but comes with a triple which is an abomination on a road bike.

I was in the market ~18 months ago and got an Orbea Aqua 105, last years model, with wheels upgraded to Aksiums for £1000 from Epic Cycles.

makeitorange
    Free Member

Another vote for a cross bike, I recently brought one of these 2012 Kona Jakes that have been reduced at Evans to £750, excellent value. http://www.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/650/a12/039/69618/large/kona-jake-2012-cyclocross-bike.jpg[img]http://www.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/650/a12/039/69618/large/kona-jake-2012-cyclocross-bike.jpg[/img]

bones76
    Free Member

I have a Planet x SL Pro carbon and payed a £1000 four years ago and the bike has been perfect for everything i have thrown at it!! So my advice would be a Planet x

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Trek 2.1/2.3 brill.

johnny63

Shameless hijack I know (hangs head) but he could have this one:-

2011 54cm Cannondale Supersix in Team colours –

http://s1342.beta.photobucket.com/user/JohnnyBo-/library/

with this spec:-

Cannondale C2 stems, bars & seatpost

Carbon FSA SLK Light BB30 chainset (52/36)
    Fizik Arione carbon braided saddle
    Mavic Aksium Race wheelset
    Brakes – TRP
    Rear mech – Ultegra SL
    Front mech & shifters – 105

Bought tail end of last year and only used it for racing this year so probably about 750 miles use

for £ 1350.00

or with a brand new FSA Gossamer BB30 34/50 compact chainset for £1300.00

Awesome value 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Shameless hijack I know (hangs head) but he could have this one:-

2011 54cm Cannondale Supersix in Team colours –

http://s1342.beta.photobucket.com/user/JohnnyBo-/library/

with this spec:-

Cannondale C2 stems, bars & seatpost

Carbon FSA SLK Light BB30 chainset (52/36)
    Fizik Arione carbon braided saddle
    Mavic Aksium Race wheelset
    Brakes – TRP
    Rear mech – Ultegra SL
    Front mech & shifters – 105

Bought tail end of last year and only used it for racing this year so probably about 750 miles use

for £ 1350.00

or with a brand new FSA Gossamer BB30 34/50 compact chainset for £1300.00

Awesome value

Or he could have a brand new one for a couple of hundred quid less?

johnny63

Aha, I know but that would be with Apex whereas this has an SLK light carbon chainset, carbon railed saddle, an Ultegra rear mech and TRP brakes

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Tedious post I know but….what road bike for a grand?’ is closed to new replies.