Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Techy question on groupset & brakes
  • Doubleyouess
    Free Member

I am running an 05/06 enduro s works with xtr groupset & hope mono 6 & 4 brakes.

I am thinking it is time to either sell the bike or invest in a new groupset & brakes.

I was looking at this years shimano xt groupset 2×10 speed £350 or with brakes around £540.

1) Will the groupset be too much of a downgrade, will i really notice the weight difference? Can i run a 10sp cassette on my hope pro2 hub?

2) I love doing downhill as fast as gravity allows, will the xt brakes be good enough. I trust my current monos with my life but one of the levers is a bit threaded..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

bol

No, you won’t notice new XT being heavier or worse than 2006 vintage XTR. Yes, the cassette will fit, and yes the brakes will be excellent for the equivalent sized rotor. At that sort of price XT has got to be a good option. Personally, I’d go for X9/X0, but it’s only a matter of taste. Oh, and don’t go for the black XT chainset unless you’re pidgeon toed.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’m a fan of Shimano brakes but if you like your Hopes why not fix them? You can get most parts as spares.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cp

You’ll prob find new xt feels bettee than your current xtr simply as its new. The current xt works amazingly well, even under xc racing loads.

Doubleyouess
    Free Member

Thanks for your help guys! Bol by pigeon toed do you mean narrow footed? does the black finish on the cranks rub off??

njee20
    Free Member

Narrow footed? What’s that!

Pigeon toed means your toes point inwards, thus your heels out so you will avoid scuffing the cranks as you say.

IMO even the silver ones scuff badly, if you’re worried about it put helicopter tape or similar on them.

alfabus
    Free Member

FYI, the XT groupset with brakes is £550 at merlin, and they give you an extra 10% off at checkout.

Dave

Leku
    Free Member

New XT gears and send your brakes back to Hope for a refurb?

They did my 7 year old Mono’s and they came back better than new.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Techy question on groupset & brakes’ is closed to new replies.