Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Technology trumps creation?
  • camo16
    Free Member

Fellow office workers are trouser-inflating over a re-run of the Apple show on their iMacs… 😯

…which made me wonder: does anyone really care what paint brushes Michelangelo used, what typewriter Ernest Hemingway wrote Old Man and the Sea on, or what movie cameras made Point Break? [All classics of their time].

Surely, it’s the end product – not the equipment – that really matters?

This new Vader Mac, no doubt, is pretty fine. But is it really exciting in its own right?

Make something über creative on it and colour me impressed.

Just saying, like.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Having read The Old Man and the Sea, I wish that the typewriter had been chucked overboard.

lemonysam
    Free Member

That’s a pretty solid contender for worst analogy of the week. I mean I realise it’s only tuesday but people are going to have to work hard to better it.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I don’t understand the obsession with everything Apple.

aracer
    Free Member

Personally I’m a big fan of evolution.

camo16
    Free Member

That’s a pretty solid contender for worst analogy of the week. I mean I realise it’s only tuesday but people are going to have to work hard to better it.

Hah! You’re probably right.

But the overall point remains: why the obsession with the means of creation, rather than the creation itself?

bikebouy
    Free Member

If you didn’t have the tech or the ability to use the tech, there would be no product would there?

molgrips
    Free Member

Why are the two things competitive?

A nicely designed computer or machine is a thing of wonder and beauty in its own way. As is a great novel or beautiful piece of music. There’s plenty of room in this world for appreciation of lots of different things 🙂 It’s not an either/or thing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Me to the Iphone 5 is awesome 😉

epicyclo

Some people just love well crafted tools.

BTW am I the only one who suspects the pics of the new Mac Pro with its case off looks suspiciously like the brain of one of those killer robots in early SciFi – maybe even a Dalek?

camo16
    Free Member

Yeah, I know I’m totally behind the times… my favourite computer is still my ancient G3 Pismo Powerbook and that’s because the bronzy transparent keys are really nice to type on… I hate wireless mice and don’t even own a mobile phone. 🙁

Maybe that’s why all the woo-hooing and hell yeahs from the Apple conference is getting to me.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Since the early 1980’s the media has been successfully “dumbing down” everything, removing those pesky long words with the “plain English” campaign, promoting moronic sheep like activity with the “Lad movement” and generally subtly indoctrinating people with the message that its happy to be dumb.

Intellectual growth or betterment tends to raise an unsettled eyebrow in the populace, original or creative activities tend to prompt unease now rather than intrigue or curiosity.

But it’s ok to consume, if you buy something creative then it makes you a creative type, how many of those folk gushing over the new black mac obviously try hard to buy into “the creative stereotype”?

We now live in a world where people consider themselves to be “a brand”, one that they align with products that reinforce their image and promote their placement in their target peer group.

tossers all of them.

Authors note: This post was brought to you by blue mountain coffee, gaccia classic, 17″ MacBook Pro, my sisters jeans & maxxis high rollers.

camo16
    Free Member

if you buy something creative then it makes you a creative type

That’s an interesting thought. I reckon there’s some truth here.

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh and I can’t wait for iOS7 on my iPhone5 because I NNED A PARALLAX SNOWGLOBE MOBILE PHONE!! like yesterday, like, y’know.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t agree, MrNutt. I think the internet has made it far easier for people to share their creativity, and they do.

MrNutt
    Free Member

and the new black mac looks like an upturned dustbin, but I want one I wonder what colour the led’s are?

camo16
    Free Member

I think the internet has made it far easier for people to share their creativity, and they do.

Totally. But the invention of the Internet and the release of a new computer are not the same thing.

wordnumb
    Free Member

I don’t understand the obsession with everything Apple.

Read Genesis.

Don’t read Genesis.

andytherocketeer

does taking a photo of everything, automatic instagram “effects”, and auto share to twitter count as “sharing creativity”?

Don’t know about anyone else but I desperately need to replace my shiny brushed aluminium box with something even more designer styled, to go in my study where only I can see it, just to get the feelgood factor while I hit refresh on STW and snowheads.

CaptJon
    Free Member

camo16 – Member
    Hah! You’re probably right.

But the overall point remains: why the obsession with the means of creation, rather than the creation itself?

Creative practice is just that, a process which embodies the materials and equipment you use. The computer is not just tool, it is also the medium.

Beside the postmodern artsy stuff, faster computers provide the potential for new and more productive ways of working.

badnewz
    Free Member

I’m with Mr Nutt on this one.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’m with Mr Nutt on this one.

What, ranting incoherently?

camo16
    Free Member

faster computers provide the potential for new and more productive ways of working.

I agree. Faster computers are useful. But ‘woo-hoo’ exciting?

I’m no Apple hater, BTW. The presence of iPhones in the world means that I can end my emails with ‘Sent from my iPhone’ and pretend that I’m out of the office, thus preventing overly keen clients from contacting me at inconvenient times.

badnewz
    Free Member

What, ranting incoherently?

His anger is righteous. He’s my righteous brother.

CaptJon
    Free Member

camo16 – Member
    I agree. Faster computers are useful. But ‘woo-hoo’ exciting?

Imagine you’ve invested thousands of pounds in Mac based equipment, software and training, plus spent years using all that stuff. Now imagine you’ve wanted/needed to upgrade your Mac Pros for years and the false dawn of the 2012 ‘refresh’ was disappointing. I can understand why people are excited.

molgrips
    Free Member

Totally. But the invention of the Internet and the release of a new computer are not the same thing.

Of course not.. I don’t really see your point. Lots of people like pretty shiny things, that’s not really new. I don’t see it as the same mental space as creating art though. They are separate things. It’s like comparing John Steinbeck and Raymond Blanc.

zilog6128

does anyone really care what paint brushes Michelangelo used, what typewriter Ernest Hemingway wrote Old Man and the Sea on, or what movie cameras made Point Break?

Probably not. I’m sure it mattered to Michelangelo, Hemingway and Bigelow though. (can you really mention those three in the same sentence?!)

aracer
    Free Member

I think the internet has made it far easier for people to share their creativity, and they do.

The world isn’t really ready for most people’s creativity. The internet hasn’t changed that.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

does anyone really care what paint brushes Michelangelo used

We don’t. But I bet Michelangelo did.

edit, beaten to it by zilog

miketually
    Free Member

Well, we know what notebook Hemmingway used, and what typewriter.

aracer
    Free Member

I think we have a contender:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/do-we-need-a-new-forum-section-road-bikes#post-5059048

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Technology trumps creation?’ is closed to new replies.