Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • ‘Technical’ riding near Winchester?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Hi people, for various reasons I am moving to Winchester soon. I have been living in Southampton and have really enjoyed cycling round Lordswood – compact, but lots of twisty rooty tracks (plus jumps and mini-downhills if your balls are big enough). I was just wondering if there was anything like this in the vicinity of Winchester? I have done some riding from there before, but mainly bridleways and XC type stuff, which is good in a healthy outdoors way, but you tend to be riding in a straight line for most of the time. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Also, I seem to remember that there might be weekly bike rides organised by Hargroves bike shop in Winchester, does anyone know if this is true? If so, does anyone have an idea of the type and pace of riding, and whether the group welcomes new riders?

Thanks ion advance for any help!

P.S I have had a pootle rouund Farley mount before, seemed quite good but quite small also.I found it difficult to construct a decent loop, but maybe that’s just down to lack of knowledge?!

soma_rich
    Free Member

Farely mount is where you want to explore similar to Lordswood. New Force do rides from Winchester and know the best bits. Get in touch with them.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Hi Poppa, Farley Mount is at present a work in progress, and if you go to the H2o Mud n snow website, there is a facebook page for those interested in helping in building some trails there. Hopefully this will be starting ( as in digging trails) later this year. The Hargroves ride is on still I think, but from what I hear, they’ll blow your legs off. Loads of bridleway riding to be had, and some great singletrack, but not that close together. Lordswood is not far away to get your twisty fix until our West Wood project takes off.

poppa
    Free Member

Cheers for the speedy replies! I will have a thorough explore of the Farley mount area when I move then. I did have a cycle through West Wood, but only found fire roads at the time – I did see one or two small tracks snaking into the woods, but they quickly became unrideable if you followed them.

Andy – sounds interesting, any idea when (i.e. what month) the trail building will commence?

jimmers
    Free Member

Hi Poppa,
    Try out New Force MTB club

We have two groups going from Winchester on a Thursday. We have named them after the strength of curry dishes.

Tikka Masala: they leave at around 6:30pm from various pubs in the local area and ride for 15miles they are usually back for 9pm. A friendly bunch of riders.

Madras: we usually leave from the Queen Inn on Kingsgates St at 7pm. We usually cover 25-30 miles (20 in winter) and aim to get back to the pub for last orders. The pace is steady but not lightening fast. we have seen the Hargroves lot out and they fly by but then they don’t drink beer at the end of their ride, we do!

If you’re interested post a message on the New Force board or just turn up.

James

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘‘Technical’ riding near Winchester?’ is closed to new replies.