Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Technical question – mixing shimano shifters and derailleurs
  • adamthekiwi
    Free Member

Hi All,

I’ve got a Salsa Fargo that is my commuter/tourer and I’ve recently put drop bars with Shimano 105 brifters (5703). These were mixing with the old Deore 9-speed derailleurs and getting along moderately well, although indexing wasn’t great. It got worse and worse (I think this was my error – I failed to put outer endstops at the shifter end and the cables were getting jammed) and I convinced myself that what I needed were new 10-speed derailleurs (Deore – RD-M610GS and FD-M611).

As I understand it, these should be compatible in terms of cable pull, yet the right shifter appears to be only pulling about 7 gears worth. This time I’ve definitely installed the cables correctly and they’re pulling smoothly. Can anyone help (or point me elsewhere)?

I’ve not checked the hanger alignment, but I don’t think this could make this much difference, could it? The top and bottom stop screws are correctly set, as is the B-tension screw, and manually pulling the cable will get the derailleur to shift correctly through all the gears.

coatesy
    Free Member

MTB 10sp mechs/shifters have a different pull ratio, your 10sp road shifters pull the same as 9sp (or less) MTB shifters, so need that type of mech to work.

adamthekiwi
    Free Member

Thanks coatesy. And, @rse.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Technical question – mixing shimano shifters and derailleurs’ is closed to new replies.