Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Technical Q for Light and Motion and Niterider owners (or geeks)
  • DrRSwank
    Free Member

OK, so two questions really.

I'm in the US on a prolonged business trip and have, today, happened upon a MASSIVE sports shop selling all sorts of tat, including biking gear.

Most is tat – but they have an impressive selection of lights and they are cheap!

They have the Light and Motion Dual (300) for about 30% cheaper then the UK and the NiteRider Pro 600 at the same.

So the first question. If I buy them here will they charge back home with a plug adaptor? This isn't as stupid as it sounds as I have a few re-chargeable items (oooh-errr) which won't charge in the US. For instance my electric toothbrush will not charge, so I have to have a US brought one for travelling here (I'm here alot).

Whilst I appreciate a toothbrush and a bike light are different (although I have not tried riding with my toothbrush strapped to my handlebars) I do worry that the lights may suffer the same fate and the chargers will not be compatible with UK leccy.

And question 2. I am in my hotel room researching prices of bits so I can go back tomorrow and buy more! I have two bottles of Corona and one Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

They are all warm, but I want one now. I have a bucket of ice to chill them, but I WANT ONE NOW!!!! Is it acceptable to drink one warm beer?

DrRSwank
    Free Member

No! Not anyone!

LOL!

At least I would have thought someone would have offered an opinion, which would then have been immediately rubbished by the next poster…..

😉

I guess I'll give them a miss until I can work it out for myself…..

ojom
    Free Member

Bear in mind any warranty claim will have to go through the original US retailer. This WILL be a pain in the onions.

rockfield
    Free Member

I have a light & motion arc which I bought in USA. It works fine with an adaptor on the plug. I think the L&M charger can cope with the difference in voltage (Dont know if the lightset you are looking at uses the same charger as mine though?) Have a look at the light & motion site – they seem pretty helpful and I guess you could always ring them & ask?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

i had a US-bought nite rider years ago that needed a proper adaptor (ie. voltage transformer) not just a pins adaptor. More modern NR chargers may be able to adapt for voltage, but either way it should charge with the correct adaptor (think I paid 15 quid from RS or maplin for a 110v US pin-220v UK pin adaptor?). Your toothbrush would charge with the right sort of adaptor, too.

Is 30% worth what will effectively be a lack of warranty? Unless you travel there so often you can take it back? I never had cause to need my NR warranty, as it worked flawlessly for 10yrs until I neglected the NiCd battery to the extent it discharged and reversed polarity but I wouldnt be too hopeful with Eu-US claims.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Ta all, I've given up on the idea. Having done some more homework it does look like the Niteriders would be OK, but as has been pointed out, it's a lot of dosh to have no warranty.

I am here about once a month mind……

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Technical Q for Light and Motion and Niterider owners (or geeks)’ is closed to new replies.