Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tech wizzards advice please. (Spotify content).
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

So, I’ve “downloaded” a load of tunes from Spotify. So a friend has sent a music file that I’ve downloaded on to my mobile.

Using “My Files”, I can see the music file from my friend, but the Spotify tunes that (I assume) I’ve “downloaded” on to my mobile, can’t be seen!

What am I doing wrong/not getting?

wwaswas

you can only play ‘available offline’ spotify stuff via spotify – is the downloaded music still visible in there and available when you’re not connected to a network?

the-muffin-man

Spotify is a closed system and files downloaded for offline use only work within Spotify.

Spotify files won’t appear in your My Files folder.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The downloaded file is visible when I’m not connected to a network. It’s there on my machine.

So I suppose my question is – where, physically, are the tunes files that I’ve “downloaded” from Spotify?

wwaswas

try googling:

“where does spotify mobile store offline files”

and remove the ‘mobile’ bit for your desktop.

Lots of answers.

the-muffin-man

So I suppose my question is – where, physically, are the tunes files that I’ve “downloaded” from Spotify?

You won’t find them as they are hidden/encrypted within the Spotify app. They aren’t yours and if you end your sub they will disappear.

If you do find them, the whole world would like know how to get at them!

jam1e
    Free Member

The files will be stored within secure folders which you don’t have access to unless your phone is rooted.

Even if you do have access the files are encrypted and can only be played through Spotify (and probably only playable by you)

I know this because I have tried to access the files before!!

toby1

The point being you have paid to stream the files, and may have them stored for use offline under licence from Spotify, however, you have not purchased and do not own the files.

Cougar

What am I doing wrong/

Trying to use Spotify as a generic music player, by the sounds of things. Spotify plays Spotify, that’s it, you can’t start loading it up with mp3s.

You almost certainly already have some other audio player installed, use that. Or download Poweramp and try that instead, it’s the best one I’ve found.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

You won’t find them as they are hidden/encrypted within the Spotify app.

I suspected something like that. Thanks, hivemind.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Actually Cougar – Spotify will play local files too.

doris5000

Trying to use Spotify as a generic music player, by the sounds of things. Spotify plays Spotify, that’s it, you can’t start loading it up with mp3s.

Well actually….

You can play your own MP3s with Spotify quite happily. Put them on the relevant device and it will read them, no prob.

But it doesn’t work the other way; you can’t take ‘Spotify mp3s’ off the device and use them elsewhere. As pointed out above, they’re encrypted and locked and blah blah.

EDIT – too slow…

Cougar

Ah, right, is that new? It must’ve changed since I last used it (or I just never noticed).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tech wizzards advice please. (Spotify content).’ is closed to new replies.