Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tech: way to back up a memory card without a computer?
  • walla24
    Free Member

eg when travelling, need to empty my Sony memory card without having a computer straight onto some sort of storage…..anyone know if this is doable?

cheers

CountZero

Not sure, you can copy all the photos onto a tablet, and by using something like AirDrive or something like that, it could well be possible to take other content and put it into Dropbox. I’ve never done that, I only have SD cards with photos on, no other content. I’m sure other more tech competent souls will be able to help.

geoffj
    hilldodger
    Free Member

Unless you can copy to phone or tablet a spare card may be the best option?

mogrim

I’d be looking into cybercafes and Dropbox / Google Drive – yes, there’s a computer involved, but it’ll provide the backup you want and should be fairly easy to sort out in most countries.

walla24
    Free Member

ah fair enough was just interested if anyone had developed this, seems like a good idea….but at that price I’l just buy a few more memory cards! 😆

Olly
    Free Member

you could make a Raspberry Pi do it without too much issue i reckon. Little project box with a couple of buttons running preset scripts.

Insert memory card
    power up and wait for “ready” LED
    press a button to upload to skydrive or similar
    second LED confirms success or failure.

Still a computer, but they dont come any smaller and you could run it off batteries. (internet still involved to get it onto Skydrive though, and you might need a monitor to be able to connect up to your local wifi Source….)

ask1974
    Free Member

Several years ago I used an Epson P-2000 which did the trick, slow but it provided a useful back up. Discontinued now but a quick scan of the web brought this to the surface…

hyperdrive

… Pretty much the same but reinvented for the iPad generation so you can view photos on a large third party screen. However I think these devices are a bit of a waste now, they date very fast and become another battery concern on long trips. SD cards are so cheap now all you need to do is work out how many shots you may take, double it and buy cards to suit. They’re small, light, aren’t damaged by water and will take a hit – by far the most cost efficient means of carrying lots of photos.

Olly
    Free Member

although in all honesty, by the time youve cocked about with all that, you might as well splash out on a stack of memory cards! And perhaps a “usb reader stick” so you can upload them when in a cafe?

nickjb
    Free Member

I use a micro SD card in an adapter in my camera. I can plug that into my phone or tablet to copy files. Can then copy them to another card. Its a better screen to delete the duff ones and share the good ones too.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was going to say – any solution would cost far more than a load of memory cards. Especially if using SD.

nickdavies

How much space and how big are the cards? Wolverine flashpac used to do that old tech now but can probably be picked up on ebay cheaply second hand, iirc 120gb was max storage and didn’t support sdhc so may not be useful. If it works I can’t see them being more than 20 quid or so these days!

CountZero

Just read through the comments, and as it seems you’re just talking about photos, then buy a bunch of cards. I bought four 8Gb cards from 7dayshop.com, cost about twenty quid, and when they fill up I put them to one side and start a new one. I copy all the photos onto my iPad first, then I delete the poor ones. I then have all my photos still on the cards as a back-up. Just started the last one, as it happens, so I must get some more soon.
    Cards are so cheap now, it’s rather pointless wiping them, and they get cheaper as time goes on.
    http://www.7dayshop.com/kingston-sdhc-memory-card-8gb-class-4-3-pack-bundle?backUrl=L21lbW9yeS1jYXJkcy1hbmQtdXNiLWZsYXNoLWRyaXZlcz9jYXQ9MTY=

walla24
    Free Member

ah gay its a sony only pro duo thing anyways but the idea of using a micro in an adapter then viewing on a phone etc is brilliant.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tech: way to back up a memory card without a computer?’ is closed to new replies.