Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tech Question: Can travel be reduced on dual position Rockshox Pikes
  • Paceman
    Free Member

Quick tech question:

Can travel be reduced on dual position RS Pikes?

E.g. Change a DPA 150-120mm fork to 140-110mm for example.

Thanks

Paceman

chiefgrooveguru

Yes, just needs a new air shaft, or the current one machining down (much cheaper). Happy New Year Sir!

Bolt

If its just a case of shortening the air shaft I have used a hacksaw and file to remove 10mm.
    I would check the threads are deep enough first.

RickDraper
    Free Member

You don’t want to go cutting and shortening a DPA shaft with a hacksaw!

Paceman
    Free Member

Hmmm… so can it be done with a new shorter air shaft?

nickdavies

Not that simple on dual positions. The air shaft is different to solo airs and rockshox don’t make an air shaft for shorter than 150mm max travel as far as I know. It’s not on the tech manual or the parts catalogue.

Just shortening it might not work as shortening the air shaft just essentially pulls the lowers up the stanchion, this might cause problems with the piston as there’s obviously more in that leg than just air on the solo position model. Drop tf tuned a mail if I were you.

Edit: Given that on solo air each wheel size up drops 10mm on the same damper, in theory fitting the 150 27.5mm dpa full assembly might do the job but no idea if it would work, rockshox don’t list it as compatible like they do with the single position parts. Rs part no is 11.4018.010.114

scotroutes

Is it worth it for 10mm?

Remember that forks of the same travel don’t all have the same A2C anyway.

Paceman
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

My frame has a warranty limit of 140mm, hence the query. I was actually looking for some 130mm or 140mm RS Pike Solo Airs but have seen a good deal on some dual position ones.

I might drop a quick email to TF-Tuned as suggested.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tech Question: Can travel be reduced on dual position Rockshox Pikes’ is closed to new replies.