Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tech folk: which Android phone (to be used with Google Glass)?
  • saxabar
    Free Member

I have some Glassware coming my way and am looking to upgrade my phone. Having been an iPhone user for some years I fancy a change to Android, not least because Glass will work better with it. Any thoughts on which handset? I’d like something that fits in my pocket, can take a knock (in a backpack), is future-proof for the next couple of years, and ideally not exorbitantly expensive as I’ll be looking to buy outright. (There’s room for movement on the latter if the phone really is ‘all that’). 🙂

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

future-proof for the next couple of years, and ideally not exorbitantly expensive

moon on a stick right there

somouk
    Free Member

You’re asking too much, especially with the current trend in phones to be bettered every year and also having large screens.

My best bet would be the S5 Mini to meet as many of those requirements as possible.

Or if you want full size look at the S5 or LG G3.

andyl
    Free Member

For future proof, especially with google glass I would say it has to be a nexus 5 as it will get all the updates as soon as they come out.

The nexus 4 is still way ahead of most other makes in terms of updates but will start to lag behind now I fear.

Just get a decent case to protect it.

thehustler
    Free Member

I am wondering about whether to invest in a glass (re other thread), I have an S5 which should work fine with it

sharkbait
    Free Member

I am wondering about whether to invest in a glass

If you know what “investment” means you’ll be fully aware that spending £1k on Google Glass isn’t one!

thehustler
    Free Member

If you know what “investment” means you’ll be fully aware that spending £1k on Google Glass isn’t one!

When you work in the industry and you can write it off against tax to try to increase future profit it is called investmet………..

jimoiseau
    Free Member

+1 for the Nexus 5, pretty much best bang for buck there is on android in terms of computing power and google support. Google will be fairly sure to make certain updates to android don’t cripple it for the next couple of years so good marks for future proofing too.

That said, they’ll probably bring out a new Nexus around November time. Could be worth getting a second hand android to make sure you like it/can live with it, and sell it on to get the newer Nexus once you’re sure.

To what extent is glass integrated with android handsets at this stage? As it’s all beta, does it really matter if you’re using an iphone alongside? And if you can afford glass, you can afford a shiny new S5, Shirley?

andyl
    Free Member

Is there a developer glass + Nexus 5 + SDK pack?

thehustler
    Free Member

I have a few vids showing the google glass in action, unfortunately i have no way of hosting them online atm, (hoping to get a unprotected version to go on our website/facebook soon), will post it up when available

iolo
    Free Member

S4 will be cheaper than an S5 and there’s not much in them really.

saxabar
    Free Member

Work are paying for the Glass, but yeah – if need be I can splash out.. I did wonder about the Nexus phone and the S5 mini. My iPhone is about 4 years old now and still going strong (and will run OS7 needed for Glass), but I understand that Android complements the Glass better in teems of messaging and functionality (plus my partner is keen on having my iPhone!).

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

S4 will be cheaper than an S5 and there’s not much in them really

The S5 will most likely get updates for an extra year over the S4.

But technically, no, not much between them.

muggomagic

Yep nexus 5 is the best bet. Plus you’ll be able to load the android L onto it which will be of use if you’re developing apps etc.

brassneck

Nexus 5 everytime.

saxabar
    Free Member

Hmm, would be sold on the Nexus if it wasn’t for the battery issue. My existing iPhone still goes days without a charge (I’m careful with recharging cycles).

thehustler
    Free Member

if its charge then S5 in low power mode when you dont need all the gubbins working all the time will win every time

saxabar
    Free Member

Useful, thanks. I’m looking forward to life beyond the gated walls of Apple!

cranberry
    Free Member

If you are worried about battery life for a Nexus 5 think about a wireless charging pad. I have one at home and at work – no need to plug the phone in at all and it is always charged.

muggomagic

You could most likely get a couple of days out of a nexus 5 if you turn off all the Google now features etc. Apparently android L beta users are seeing 36% better battery life.

thebunk

LG G2 has a better spec and is cheaper than the Nexus 5. Big battery too. Nexus 5 gets the updates early though.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tech folk: which Android phone (to be used with Google Glass)?’ is closed to new replies.