Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tech advice, how to tell pro11 and pro11 evo apart
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Hi all,

Quick question, how do I tell if my pro11 rear hub is an evo or not?

It’s currently 135mm qr and I’m looking at new frame options. Want to know if I can change the bearings etc for a 142mm bolt through?

Any help much appreciated.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Evos generally have Evo written on them

vincienup
    Free Member

^ isn’t just being sarcastic. The Evo logo is so big it’s unmissable.

The Front is basically no change, but rear has a completely different axle.

AFAIK the Evo will let you swap between 135QR and 142×12 simply by swapping end caps. The Pro2 will also let you run either, but you need to replace the entire axle so might as well change the bearings while in there. The axle and bearing kit is much more expensive than the end caps as you might expect. TBH, there’s probably enough difference there to be worth selling the old hub and putting the extra to a newer one and getting advantage of the newer 40T free hub too

docrobster
    Free Member

The difference is internal so it is possible to have a hub marked evo with non evo axle. This is what I have as the body has been replaced but the axle is original.
    It is perfectly possible to swap a non evo to evo spec just costs more as you would need a new free hub as well as the axle.
    http://www.hopetech.com/product-documents/hubs/#pro-2-evo-rear-hub

chilled76
    Free Member

Thanks guys so we are 100% I can swap it to 142 regardless of if it is an evo… just might need an axle and bearings to do it.

100% ?

nuke

100%

Yes….Standard (non Evo) – New axle + end caps, Evo – New end caps

(I re-used bearings when I converted my standard ProII from 135 QR to 142)

chilled76
    Free Member

Thanks folks appreciate that. Opens up new frame options

andyl
    Free Member

Pro II can do 12mm axle but the aluminium one tends to snap as the walls are too thin. They did do a steel axle but not sure if they are still available.

the end caps are different so if trying to identify one then take a look at the pro 2 and pro 2 evo end caps and play spot the difference.

Only change with the front hub is the Evo graphics and the stainless bearings.

Rear hub got bigger bearings for the bigger axle and can be converted as the hub shell is the same, the bearings are just lower profile. There is also an Evo with a 40T ratchet ring and this says 40T just under the Evo marking.

teethgrinder

ProII steel 142x12mm axle is still available – Hope sent me one under warranty 2 weeks ago when my alloy one snapped.

swanny853

If you’re going to do it it’s probably worth changing to evo spec. I’m not sure the main hub bearings are actually any different though- think i thought that and they turned out to be the same. Would have to check

andyl
    Free Member

yeah to convert to Evo you need new bearings and a new axle. Possibly also a new freehub unless you can just change the bearing in that.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Pop the drive side adaptor off and measure the axle diameter. The pro 2 is 15mm, the EVO is 17mm.

To convert to EVO you need the 2 main bearings, axle, end caps and freehub.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

^ Which is so expensive, you might as well get a replacement Evo hub and sell your old one…

Or chance it with the impossibly thin Pro II conversion axle.

I know which option I’m going for 😉

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve broken rear axles in the past. I didn’t break the 142mm-converted pro2. YMMV for obvious reasons but the through axle is pretty cheap. It’ll probably be fine, but if it breaks, then upgrade to the beefier version at that stage? That’s what I’d do.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

^ Which is so expensive, you might as well get a replacement Evo hub and sell your old one…

Does really depend on what wheels it’s in the middle of and if your paying for a wheel build in there too

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tech advice, how to tell pro11 and pro11 evo apart’ is closed to new replies.