Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Team Sky kit
  • discoduck
    Free Member

I’m a nob and I regularly keep up with the Roadies in full Lycra whilst riding to & from my local riding spot, how this is possible I have no idea ? I’ve been told Lycra is better because it doesent flap about in the wind like my baggy top and baggy shorts thus making the rider more comfy and streamlined.

Where as I am relying on a good pair lungs and a strong pair of legs to see me through maybe I should just shell out for a Team top then I will be as fast as old Bradders.

It doesent help that a Team Sky rider lives in the same village as me, it’s like having a Spice Girl living round the corner.
    Some people have No shame.

atlaz
    Free Member

cookeaa

I’m a nob and I regularly keep up with the Roadies in full Lycra whilst riding to & from my local riding spot, how this is possible I have no idea ? I’ve been told Lycra is better because it doesent flap about in the wind like my baggy top and baggy shorts thus making the rider more comfy and streamlined.

Where as I am relying on a good pair lungs and a strong pair of legs to see me through maybe I should just shell out for a Team top then I will be as fast as old Bradders.

Although I doubt they were all that bothered that some fat bluffer on a MTB with a point to prove, hung on the back of their group for a couple of miles….

It’s all about perspective. If you think your a God, and they’re all jealous of you, then good for you fella…

discoduck
    Free Member

I wasnt hanging on the back, once id passed them i actually got to the front, it was the Fat MAMIL’S that were hanging on at the back,

As you say it is all about perspective, if you leave the house in Full on Lycra you wouldnt want a Fat Bluffer on a MTB passing you would you ?
    Or maybe you would, or maybe you even have ? i dont think i’m a God but i can ride a bike, as for being jealous i’m not sure they were and i certainly am not jealous of wearing Lycra and riding a road bike.

Ive been there and done that. Its boring. and the worst part is that to be accepted you all think its right that Lycra is cool.
    8)

Its not,

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Not sure I’ve got enough swoon left in me for this thread.

jam-bo

there used to be a small, wiry very very fast lad round my way that trained in full team sky kit.

doesn’t anymore as I think they took it all back…

WackoAK
    Free Member

discoduck – Member
    I’m a nob

You peaked at that statement.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’m a nob and I regularly keep up with the Roadies in full Lycra whilst riding to & from my local riding spot, how this is possible I have no idea ?

obviously having engaged them in conversation you were aware they were at the end of a century, or doing a zone 1 recovery ride, or on their first ride back from a serious injury, or just enjoying a pootle and fresh air?

I caught and passed a roadie on a carbon/titanium wonderbike whilst on my 36lb super-tacky equipped Alpine 160. My thoughts were “ooh nice bike”.

there used to be a small, wiry very very fast lad round my way that trained in full team sky kit.

doesn’t anymore as I think they took it all back…

😀

JAG

I think this thread is done. Put your awesomeness away and everyone else put your handbags down 😀

Thanks to all for the advice. Despite the discount I’ve decided not to buy the Sky jersey.

ninfan
    Free Member

people wearing sky kit are just wearing the kit of a team they like,

Yes, but there’s a difference between

i) Wearing a football/rugby shirt to the pub

ii) Turning up to a kickaround in the park with your mates wearing full manchester united team kit with matching jersey, shorts, socks, shin pads and boots, a team kit bag, MUFC water bottles and signed football 😀

The only team jersey it is acceptable to wear is old long gone teams like Z, TVM or Wonder that serve to scream to one and all that ‘I was into cycling before it got cool’

MrSmith
    Free Member

Ive been there and done that. Its boring. and the worst part is that to be accepted you all think its right that Lycra is cool.

Its not,

you think MTB’s are cool?

😆

soobalias
    Free Member

saturday i witnessed a guy with a sky top, riding an oldish spesh epic with skinny slick tyres. Clearly he hadnt ridden a bike since it was new. Maybe the new sky top was a present that forced him to try riding again. From the look of him the spesh will be back in the garage for the next ten years.

On my way home i sometimes pass a roadie going up the hill in king of the mountains top – i always think “hardly king of the mountains given the struggle up there, are you?”

but then im a tosser.

citizenlee
    Free Member

Despite the discount I don’t intend to but the Sky kit anymore.

In that case I think we can all congratulate ourselves on a job well done 😀

cookeaa

As you say it is all about perspective, if you leave the house in Full on Lycra you wouldnt want a Fat Bluffer on a MTB passing you would you ?

Depends if I’d still got 80 miles to go, I’m not going to waste time “Racing” some stranger with an obvious case of wee man syndrome… If it’s a short ride and my ego’s in charge maybe I’ll play…

and the worst part is that to be accepted you all think its right that Lycra is cool.

Nobody thinks Lycra is “Cool” let’s be honest, whatever the particular sub-niche you’re still a grown man/woman riding a bicycle, only other cyclists might think you look cool, the majority of society will take the piss whatever you wear… Lycra is simply appropriate Road/CX/XC cycling attire, just like most people don’t play tennis in rigger’s boots, you wear the clothing that best suits what you are doing, if I’m on my MTB I’ll wear flappy non aero clothing that suits what I’m doing…

Its generally considered a wee bit sad within some of the cliques to wear certain team replica kits, but I wouldn’t be rude to someone IRL just because they wore a sky top, it’s just clothing, everyone on a bike gets a nod and a smile from me…

As for your stunning sporting achievement, have you told anyone else? you know off the interwebz, I’m sure they’ll all be impressed,

Women must beg to bear your children all the time, do young boys reverently tug at your sleeve and ask for you autograph?
    I bet you don’t have to buy your own drinks at the boozer do you?

Are you sponsored yet?

No what am I saying, you’re obviously far too modest for all that nonsense…

But in a similar vein I overtook a Porche the other day in my crappy old estate car, The driver might have simply been Cruising along without feeling the need to race, but I’m choosing to believe He’s a great big fanny and I’m the lord of Awesome, So I’ll be punting my CV off to McLaren later today…

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have more issues with Rapha-wearing wannabes to be honest!

Really, if you’ve got issues with what other people wear then you’re the one with problems.

discoduck
    Free Member

My nob confession was in response to Sancho’s nob & tossers post for MTB’s keeping up with roadies, its funny how when you wear Lycra you suddenly become elitist, and when you cant ride everyone else becomes a nob & a tosser.

And as for being in a Zone 1 recovery phase of a ride, it is true then that ALL Lycra wearing wanabeees are infact Pro athletes at the Peak of Physical fitness. Recovering from Injury or just finished a grand tour.

Its pathetic, but keep pretending its real.

I’m off to dig out my Team GB medals for posterity.

mooman
    Free Member

On the Mtb rider passing the roadie on a climb theme:

Whilst I believe most stories on here are just that, stories/fantasies.
    I recently found out that lots of the local climbs that roadies pay lots of attention to on Strava, have been getting demolished by a guy on a Mtb …

He does not wear Sky kit either.

wait4me

Thanks to this thread I finally gave in to the Rapha sale, cheers guys. Think you’ll need to be a real kit fascist to spot my Team Sky buff though. And looking forward to filling my new shoulder man bag with cheese and pickle sandwiches and jazz mags.

skellnonch
    Free Member

Sky kit: its so last year

cookeaa

Was that a flounce DD?

iainc

I want one of the little black essentials bags but they are all sold out….

dunno why I want a purse, but I just do ! 🙂

TiRed

I have more issues with Rapha-wearing wannabes to be honest!

Really, if you’ve got issues with what other people wear then you’re the one with problems.

It’s a relative thing. The increment on no issues is small 😉 . And what do fast Rapha wearers wear? Their club kit, of course!

Gary_M
    Free Member

If you really must buy that rapha sky jersey then here’s an extra 10% off sale stuff with this code – SUMMERSALE10

Probably applies to any product on the site too.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I briefly had a Rapha shirt. Fit was bloody awful. I also have a Lusso shirt. Fit is great. Don’t wear that as its purple.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve got a few bit of rapha kit, fit has always been spot on. I guess you must be oddly shaped.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Team Sky kit’ is closed to new replies.