Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Teaching a child with no balance…
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

to ride a bike.

My daughter picked up riding a bike like er… riding a bike. It took her a few goes and she was off at the ripe old age of 3.5. I have been entrusted with the task of teaching the GF’s son. Let just say he is not going to be naturally sporty. He is 4.5 and has not got any sense of balance what so ever.

Would removing the pedals to let him get used to scooting along and get a feel for the bike be a good idea.?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

get him a scooter to learn balance on. My daughter spent ages struggling, but after a single afternoon with a scooter she learned the trick and was able to ride her bike too :o)

carlphillips
    Free Member

yeah good idea to remove the pedals, he’ll have it in no time..

bland

big hill & no brakes

MoreCashThanDash

Same boat here – getting a bike that fits my lad better this weekend and the pedals will be off straight away to see if it works.

jfeb
    Free Member

Balance bikes are great (similar to bike with no pedals). Make sure the bike isn’t too big and also that the saddle isn’t too low – both will cause balance issues.

Getting them to learn to use a scooter is a good suggestion too.

With my boy it just clicked one day. Lots of encouragement etc etc

steve_b77
    Free Member

I was exactly the same as a little’un.

My dad was teaching me to ride my bike (I think I was about 4 or 5) took the stabilizers off I stood back and looked a bit worried (apparently) and my littel sister – who’s 19 months younger than me – ditched her trike and buggered off down the road on my bike never having ridden one like it before!!

I do think that girls tend to be better balanced than boys at that age, but it all goes out of the window once teenage years kick in.

He’ll get the hang of it, don’t worry. As for the non-sporting future, i did pretty well, HIgh School colours for Rugby, Football, Cricket & athletics, county school of excellence @ footy, & always well placed in county XC as a kid

ski
    Free Member

There all different, they learn at different ages. He will ride when he is ready.

BTW, mine was nearly six before her stabilizers were off.

drew

Agree that taking the pedals off is a good idea. Take him to a gentle hill and let him ride down slowly & repeat. This will allow him to get used to balancing on the bike without him having to worry about pedalling at the same time. Worked for both of mine.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Have a look at http://www.bikeability.org.uk and the Level 1 manual. Or ring your council and get their pro trainer to do it FOC. Failing either – get in touch via email.
    BTW I wouldn’t remove the pedals. No need.

watly_biker
    Free Member

Balance bike / no pedals / easily get feet onto the floor / slight downhill slope.. and make sure you can run alongside !!
    My daughter also benfitted from a tag along to get the idea of pedalling – she did pedal backwards for the first mile but did evntually get the hang of it.

zaskar
    Free Member

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

“level 1 manual”…!

Steady on. I’m 30 and cant manual. 😉

Hairychested
    Free Member

You’re an old git! I’m only 35 so what do I know?

MOJOK
    Free Member

Is he clever? Maybe he can sit behind a computer and surf the forums and act like he rides a bike. He can pretend he’s tops. It’s what I do.

zaskar
    Free Member

Tell him he’s a girl as your daughter rides by.

Then watch the news in 20yrs time as she shoots everyone in site at the local Uni…

Everyone learns differently and at a diffent pace. Give him time then use the whip.

Maybe it’s you… “He’s not going to be naturally sporty” well you pretty much labelled him…

aracer
    Free Member

He is 4.5 and has not got any sense of balance what so ever.

I’d suggest that’s the more fundamental issue than him not being able to ride a bike. he needs to get out on a scooter, do walking along planks (ie Tumble Tots or something similar) etc. I’m not convinced that any relatively normal child can’t learn to have half decent balance (enough to pick up riding a bike), but they won’t get it unless they practice it.

I have really good balance (do a lot of balance sports – chicken/egg?), but wasn’t what you’d call naturally sporty at school – that’s more down to ability to kick a ball which I don’t have!

antigee

3.5 is pretty early so may not be a good starting place
    our oldest rode without stabilisers at that age but she also qualified for the city gymnastics squad
    youngest at 6 can ski, skateboard and walk a gym beam with hands in pockets but has refused to consistently ride a bike without stabilisers – on sunday as i was riding home from the peak got a message from her to say i owed her a BMX as she’d just rode her mates jump bike round the park!

aracer
    Free Member

Oh, I should point out that I wouldn’t worry too much about him not doing it yet at 4.5. Little boy a few doors down is getting on for 5 and really sporty, yet still has the stabilisers on – don’t think that’s particularly abnormal for kids without cycling parents. Meanwhile little girl next door who’s just 4 had her pedals and stabilisers taken off today having had a few goes on mini-aracer’s Rothan and pestering Mum and Dad that she wanted a balance bike too (they were planning on it anyway, but it’s got brought forward a bit – peer pressure from a 2 year old!) She’s looking pretty good already, despite not being the most obviously sporty child, and I reckon she’ll be riding within weeks.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Teaching a child with no balance…’ is closed to new replies.