Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Teaching 3 yr old to pedal
  • M6TTF
    Free Member

He's had a coaster bike and now a pedal bike with the pedals off. He can coast along feet up no problem – seems more than ready. Put the pedals on but he doesn't have a clue…. Knees seem to come up fairly high but I don't want to put the seat up until he's got the idea – do I bung stabilizers on so he can work out how to pedal?

badnewz
    Free Member

My nephew started uses a pedal bike with stabalizers when he was about three. He's still using them now at five, not sure what age you can take them off.

M6TTF
    Free Member

whenever they can balance and pedal at the same time I guess. As I say, the balance is sorted, he just has no idea how to pedal

PTR
    Free Member

Do you have a turbo trainer? Best thing that I ever used mine for!

allthepies
    Free Member

Fixie + zip ties on shoes/pedals + hill = solution 😉

pedalhead
    Free Member

Our little girl learned balance on a balance bike, and pedalling on a trike. She took to a "proper" pedal bike almost immediately (10 minutes!). Do you have access to a trike of some sort so he can learn pedalling without also worrying about staying upright?

brant
    Free Member

He's only three! Will work it out himself in about 10mins. If he can balance that's the hard bit.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Just keep on lettuing him sit on it. He'll get frustrated and then one day it will just come to him. Brennan had a pedal bike from 3 and a half, but couldn't ride the thing until just after his 4th birthday.

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Our 4 yr old is similar, just pedals backwards – again after using a balance bike. Neighbours gave us a smaller kids bike with stabalisers & fixed gear – she got on and surprisingly just pedalled away (forwards!). She's getting there on the proper bike but now just prefers to dap about on the bike with stabalisers all the time.

dans160
    Free Member

My three year can balance quite happily on her balance bike but was not so keen on her new pedal bike. I've put the stabilisers on until she gets 'pedaling'. She will get there in her own time, it's not a race and I don't want to rush so she ends up getting frustrated and hating it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Teaching 3 yr old to pedal’ is closed to new replies.