Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 182 total)
  • Teachers overpaid?
  • bwaarp
    Free Member

I think not. 6th best education system – not bad considering our place in the world and no thanks to the Tories. We’ll start to reap the rewards for this in 10 years time when Late 90’s to Mid 2000’s lot start innovating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-

The success of Asian countries in these rankings reflects the high value attached to education and the expectations of parents. This can continue to be a factor when families migrate to other countries, says the report accompanying the rankings.

That’s exactly what I said in the last overpaid teachers thread when certain individuals were blaming teachers not parents for worsening standards.

aracer
    Free Member

Whoever taught you how to put links in posts clearly was 😉

bwaarp
    Free Member
    cranberry
    Free Member

It all falls apart here:

The rankings combine international test results and data such as graduation rates between 2006 and 2010.

So the more people who graduate, the better the edjukation sistem. *

* dont go marking me down for bad speeling it is meen.

EDITED to remove the apostrophe, I dont want to seem like I learned proper english.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Great stuff, now following the private sector model I should be looking forward to some per prance related pay, and a bonus this Christmas.

Oh wit a moment, no it will be yet another year, the 5th in a row where pay has fallen in real terms. Just the way to attract smart new graduates into the profession. Oh how I laugh as they continue to choose accountancy, law, medicine et al!!

Our 6th place will be 10th next time this report is published and will fall more.

jota180
    Free Member

Oh wit a moment, no it will be yet another year, the 5th in a row where pay has fallen in real terms.

Pretty much the same for most people I know TBH public or private sector.

Drac

Suppose we were due another private sector Vs public sector argument.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

yep, five years and counting where i used to work– 20% cut effectively, put me on same remuneration as state benefits, without hot dinners for the kids 😡

br
    Free Member

Coppers are overpaid too:-)

totalshell

is that the same country that is replacing or rebuilding every school in the country.. no cant be surely.. tories what have they ever done for us after they were democractically elected..

duckman

And lets not forget the next pension raid planed for 2014/15. Oh, and despite offering to discuss terms with the unions to halt last years industrial action, the Government has yet to agree even a date for these discussions to take place,yet in the meantime announcing various other cuts;no chartered,probationer hours increased,length of service increased. All while increasing the workload by introducing half-baked new qualifications that we are supposed to iron out for them.

is that the same country that is replacing or rebuilding every school in the country.. no cant be surely..

You are right,it isn’t; they are being built by private equity firms. Only link the present Government have is that some Tory MP’s will be directors of them.

scuzz
    Free Member

What’s that got to do with salary?
    Average teacher salary for Scotland & England: 40846.17 USD (ranked 6th in Table)
    Average teacher salary for Finland: 37925.44 USD (ranked 1st in Table)
    😉

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Our school has been told that we will not be getting a new school, or any major renovations.this is despite sroutine repairs being halted for 6 years in our Victorian build school because we would get a new build. So no, they aren’t all getting rebuilt.

davidjones15
    Free Member

I’ve never understood these arguments as I’m sure there are lazy or greedy people in both sectors, folks that work extremely hard in both sectors too and people who are out for themselves.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Never trust any league table, or anyone who produces it.

That said, it is nice to see teaching getting some positive headlines for once.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Bwaarp. This is very early for what is little more than a troll. The article suggests that the reasons behind their definition of performance are multi-faceted and few if any overall conclusions can be drawn re pay, structure, or level of independence. Let’s hope that Pearson (did you note the authors…not exactly igrf slagging off his potential customers on STW are they) publish more informative text books. Their paper generally has better quality fortunately ( based on the article).

Steve – are you a dance teacher then? Never heard of prance related pay? 😉

Edit: agree that teachers are not overpaid BTW. I wonder why the Beeb have decided to demote the importance of the article this morning below the report that Ofsted is about to report a widening standards gap or that a (RW) broadsheet prefers to report St Andrews Uni’s attack on misguided entry policies?

aracer
    Free Member

“The rankings show that there is no clear link between higher relative pay and higher performance.”

Edric64
    Free Member

Schools dont need rebuilding .Some of the best private schools in the country are housed in some very old buildings and their results seem ok 😆

Kryton57

Steve, not all private sector bonus’s are what you think they are. I shall be taking home about 85% of my salary/job’s role average pay this year, will you? Oh, and my pension will be outperformed by yours, massively so.

However my view is, pay good teachers as much as we can can. They are educating my kids and our future generation, I’d like the Teachers doing so to be incentivised to do that to the best of thier ability, and with my gratitude.

miketually
    Free Member

Let’s hope that Pearson (did you note the authors…not exactly igrf slagging off his potential customers on STW are they) publish more informative text books.

Pearson also own Edexcel, one of the biggest exam boards.

anagallis_arvensis

How does private sector teachers pay compare? I was shocked to find out that private teachers can get the same pension.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oh heck, a mixed portfolio then! Still the point stands even more – their target market audience is?

A_A, that second sentence is a gem in so many ways!

loum
    Free Member

CaptJon – Member
    Never trust any league table, or anyone who produces it.
    That said, it is nice to see teaching getting some positive headlines for once.

In this case , a London based education business has applied a few select bodge factors to the internationally recognised PISA (Programme for International Student Assessment) educational assessments, and managed to bump up their home market to 6th in their own new table that ignores the PISA winners. And the BBC reports it as glorious news.

You couldn’t make it up (unless, of course, you work for the BBC/Pearson PLC.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_for_International_Student_Assessment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17585201

Edukator
    Free Member

Well what do expect of a ranking produced by Pearson education (about as nonobjective and biased as you’ll find) that doesn’t even include the best country, China.

Something a little more objective from the OECD

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

At least with modern history teaching, loum, students will immediately know how to treat sources appropriately!

miketually
    Free Member

I like the Telegraph coverage of a study that found that a good teacher can add half a GCSE grade to a student. Their headline changed from “Good teachers add half a GCSE grade” to “Bad teachers lose half a GCSE grade” over the course of the day 🙂

sbob
    Free Member

We’ll start to reap the rewards for this in 10 years time when Late 90’s to Mid 2000’s lot start innovating.

😆
    Pull your head out the clouds son.
    I work with teachers every week and I’m just glad I don’t have children.

konabunny
    Free Member

How does private sector teachers pay compare? I was shocked to find out that private teachers can get the same pension.

How would a private sector teacher get a state teacher pension?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Oh wit a moment, no it will be yet another year, the 5th in a row where pay has fallen in real terms.

As others have said, no different for Private sector.

*Other jobs are available…

duckman

I’d like the Teachers doing so to be incentivised to do that to the best of thier ability, and with my gratitude.

Thats a great idea,and one as a teacher I would love to see…But it has been mothballed as the number of teacher hitting targets for “Accredited Teacher Status” would cost them more than they were willing to pay….After they shut the chartered teaching scheme because it was….ach; you get the picture.
    We have an agreement that we will undertake a certain amount of work over and above our agreed hours.This can be developing courses, running teams,study support,school trips etc. When the Scottish Government looked to define what they would use as the benchmark for Accreditation…they found over 95% of teachers would fall into the bracket for enhanced salary. And of the 5% who wouldn’t, two thirds of them were within 10years of retirement.(source EIS)But yes,we are overpaid 🙄

loum
    Free Member

At least with modern history teaching, loum, students will immediately know how to treat sources appropriately!

Agreed, it’s not all bad.
    It’s just a shame that the science courses don’t seem to include this skill. 😉

bwaarp
    Free Member

Well what do expect of a ranking produced by Pearson education (about as nonobjective and biased as you’ll find) that doesn’t even include the best country, China.

Something a little more objective from the OECD

Just took a look at the OECD rankings….wow, that’s pretty bad even for the beeb.

It seems that some of the UN HID scores and TIMSS scores are better than the ranks given by the OECD though.

Edukator
    Free Member

I assume you mean the UN HDI index in which Britain ranks 28th. TIMSS is a bit limited and doesn’t even include France.

Junkyard
    Free Member

is that the same country that is replacing or rebuilding every school in the country.. no cant be surely.. tories what have they ever done for us after they were democractically elected..

What country is replacing or rebuilding every school?
    last I heard was
    Gove cancelled Labour’s £55bn school building programme, suspending projects for 715 new schools as part of the coalition’s latest tranche of spending cuts

When did the Tories get democratically elected ? Last time I counted they did not have a majority and we had a coalition govt

bwaarp
    Free Member

I assume you mean the UN HDI index in which Britain ranks 28th. TIMSS is a bit limited and doesn’t even include France.

Where can I find the specific education index ranking not the overall human development? Can’t find it, I’ve read a few articles that seem to state we are much higher up the ranking in terms of education than 28th on the HDI education index.

CaptJon
    Free Member

The education index from the HDI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_Index

totalshell

in one of the very poor parts of rochdale today.. standing out is the brand new primary school.. looks excellent loads of play gear big fences etc etc//
    HUGE carpark.. one porche 911, a merc, a big chelsea tractor thing and more minis than a mary quant fashion show. clearly thier owners are doing okay.. fell for the others one of whom was making do with a bicycle.

totalshell

in one of the very poor parts of rochdale today.. standing out is the brand new primary school.. looks excellent loads of play gear big fences etc etc//
    HUGE carpark.. one porche 911, a merc, a big chelsea tractor thing and more minis than a mary quant fashion show. clearly thier owners are doing okay.. felt for the others one of whom was making do with a bicycle.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I guess the owner can at least spell Porsche. Might be why he/she is driving one.

As for performance related pay, just how would you benchmark this?

Most teachers I work with go above and beyond and would earn significantly more if liked to performance.

Besides its not about big pay rises, just keeping up with inflation, that includes them robbing our pensions.

colournoise

sbob – Member
    I work with teachers every week and I’m just glad I don’t have children.

Generalising much? 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘Teachers overpaid?’ is closed to new replies.