Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)
  • teach kids pounds and oz in school
  • gwaelod
    Free Member

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/30/david-cameron-schools-should-teach-mainly-in-imperial-measurements

Mad as a **** badger. Possibly the stupidest little Englander bollocks ever.

wilburt
    Free Member

I would avoid any kind of news until the election, it’ll be even more bollocks than usual.

wwaswas

Here’s a map of all the countries not using the Metric system.

I’d say Imperial’s moment has passed.

bencooper
    Free Member

That’s really going to help with science education, FFS.

molgrips
    Free Member

The useful thing about Imperial is that it teaches mental arithmetic quite nicely. But then, so do other things 🙂

kimbers

How utterly depressing

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and even the ones using it are not using the same version….

but yes UKIP appeasement tiem

br
    Free Member

Appealing to the Tories natural voters, Pensioners?

gwaelod
    Free Member

Yep.parties are prostrating themselves at the feet of the grey vote.

Kids in this country are fecked…they need an exit plan abroad or a revolution.

wwaswas

.they need an exit plan abroad or a revolution.

or to get off their arses and bloody vote!

ahwiles
    Free Member

even if they did, we’ve got an aging population; the kids are out-numbered!

boxelder

‘Ours’ isn’t even the same as the good ol USofA

They’ll be suggesting we should all employ a flag waver to walk in front of our motor cars to improve road safety next.

Drac

They’d be far better teaching how to post in the right forum. 😆

ninfan
    Free Member

The useful thing about Imperial is that it teaches mental arithmetic quite nicely.

True, if we continue down this pointless line of metrication, kids will no longer have any reason to know their twelve times table!

kimbers

the metric imperial mashup on bike standards really pisses me off too

tomd
    Free Member

Shameless, idiotic nonsense to appeal to the older voters. Metric just works a lot more easily especially in science and engineering.

In fact, I’ve noticed some of the more recent American engineering standards have been converted to metric.

wwaswas

the metric imperial mashup on bike standards really pisses me off too

Manufacturers seem to go the extra mile 1.609344km to perpetuate them.

Klunk
    Free Member
    bruneep

Why are road distances still in miles? Me being an old far I was taught metres and km at skool.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cost of changing signs would be huge – and of little benefit.

We need to teach kids imperial measurements because once Brave Dave leads us out of the EU we will be able revert to pounds shillings and pence.

It all makes sense.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Nobody reads signs.

I suspect it might be dangerous…imagine if you replaced all the Mph Max Speed signs overnight with their Kph equivalents…there’d be cars in hedgerows and front rooms all over the country within minutes

shifter
    Free Member

There’s more than one type of measurement in the world, it would be great if kids new this.

nealglover
    Free Member

I can’t see any harm in knowing both and knowing how to convert when the need arises.

It’s a bit like knowing more than one language.

ninfan
    Free Member

Me being an old far I was taught metres and km at skool.

Grew up with Metres and Miles – don’t really have any problem using that combination either, does anyone?

wwaswas

It’s a bit like knowing more than one language.

There’s no point teaching children a virtually dead language and the same applies to teach them about using imperial measurements for weight, volume and small distances in the uk.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

If you saw News Night last night… you’d have seen Dave give a tongue in cheek answer to that first question about measurements and school…

A pretty passionate answer to the second, gay kiss, question…

And a sit on the fence Politian’s answer the third question.

Actually there is no news here

But if that is all the Tory destractors have to moan about this morn.

Reckon the Cons are pretty happy about that

spawnofyorkshire

I’m early thirties and have never used imperial for anything other than road distance. Even then I know think in KM’s and have to mentally convert to miles

footflaps

It’s just a broadside at UKIP – become more UKIP than UKIP before the election.

I’m surprised he’s not advocating bring back the Birch….

There’s no point teaching children a virtually dead language

Steady on, I expect Dave wants them all to learn Latin as well. Or at least all the ones who aren’t oiks.

wwaswas

far from it 🙂

Chris Grayling’s just giving people *loads* of things to detract with his prisons speech at the conference…

hot_fiat

The Newsnight interview

Imperial anything is pointless, unscientific nonsense.

richmars

Slightly selective post. In the same article he also says that he’s ok with two men kissing in public, which isn’t likely to appeal to many tory voters, but don’t let that get in the way of bashing politicians you don’t like.

kimbers

this is an amusing sidenote to highlight camerons desperate ukip pandering

see loddricks ‘same old tories’ thread for a better whinge

In the same article he also says that he’s ok with two men kissing in public, which isn’t likely to appeal to many tory voters,

damn right you should see the core tory voters on the telegraph talkback shitting the bed over the lefty bbc gay agenda ramed down our throats on newsnight last night

GrahamS

I think knowing about the other systems is useful.

As long as they approach it in the same way I was taught Religious Education:

e.g. “Looks kids, here is the absolute madness that some strange people in other countries believe in. Bonkers eh? Now, back to our gigametres and microcandela..”

grum
    Free Member

I refuse to use anything other than biblical units of measurement.

Slightly selective post. In the same article he also says that he’s ok with two men kissing in public, which isn’t likely to appeal to many tory voters, but don’t let that get in the way of bashing politicians you don’t like.

Whataboutery in it’s most basic form.

wwaswas

biblical units of measurement

1 King James = 2.5 Gideons?

but don’t let that get in the way of bashing politicians you don’t like.

You sound like Dave Cameron’s mum.

Cougar

I think GS just hit the nail on the head. It should be taught, but for legacy / historical reasons. Imperial measures do still crop up occasionally, road signs being the obvious one, and pints in a pub, so it’s a “nice to have” in the same way as, oh I don’t know, a smattering of Latin perhaps. I’m struggling to see any compelling reason to teach it as a primary system of measurement.

There’s not a lot of UK Imperial measurements left in common usage. Road signage is the obvious one. I’d still describe my height and weight in feet and stones, but there’s no real need for that other than habit and it’ll die out of its own accord as my generation, well, die out.

I started school in the 70s in the wake of the metric system being introduced so have the dubious benefit of using both systems fairly interchangeably (and sometimes simultaneously – I’m quite happy to measure something as “eighteen inches and 5mm”). CMD is 47, I can only assume that he was originally taught Imperial and then Metric later as it was phased in. It seems… weird to me to be seriously suggesting it in schools, maybe he is just on the wrong side of being too old to have fully adopted it?

gobuchul
    Free Member

I agree with Cougar.

I use both systems, sometimes Imperial just seems to work better, mpg, food potions, height and weight etc.

However, for engineering Imperial is useless. Just this morning I got some specs for some machinery from our US warehouse, hopeless, weight in lbs, footprint in inches. Very clumsy. Had to convert it all before passing to a Dutch colleague.

I’m quite happy to measure something as “eighteen inches and 5mm”).

I really hope your’re not involved in any “critical” engineering! 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘teach kids pounds and oz in school’ is closed to new replies.