• This topic has 30 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by benji.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • TdF whiners wibblers & dribblers
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

On another thread was a link to Hebden Bridge online (i think) where people were queuing up to moan about the TdF. Ive found other places & people online who appear to be moaning themselves into some sort of masturbatory frenzy, yet in real life i haven’t met one single person who isn’t at least slightly enthused by the event.
    I rode up Cragg Vale last night & noted the beaming smiles and cheery hello’s from the people walking around looking at the decorations etc, anyone actually met one of these wibblers in the flesh?

scuttler

You won’t see them because they don’t actually go out despite their prime objection being captive in their own homes, unable to drive out to get a paper and scared shitless that if they have a heart attack the ambulance won’t get through.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That thought had occurred to me!

johndoh
    Free Member

This one has been simmering away for the last two months. And local (I am from Harrogate) Facebook groups are awash with people moaning about it.

Such a shame that so many people are so narrow-minded.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That Harrogate one is a scream!

cbike
    Free Member

“Petty Whin (e?) Close”!!! That’s amazing if its not made up!

gwaelod
    Free Member

The whole ambulance wont get through thing is madness, although to be fair it’s a symptom of how poor communication can be between “the authorities” and the public.

Emergency services have been planning their response to this for at least 18 months…response by all blue lights to an incident close to the route will be much faster than standard ambulance response times. I

hjghg5
    Free Member

My boss was one til about Tuesday but I have (finally!) won her over.

mintimperial

I saw one woman the other day complaining that she wouldn’t be able to walk her dogs due to her road being closed. How does the miserable cow normally walk them, I wondered, does she drive along with the leads hanging out of the car door or something?

I hate to say it but I am actually going to be glad once it’s over, I am thoroughly sick of all the moaning idiots who absolutely positively have to go shopping for tat THIS SUNDAY, no, one of the other 364 days this year will not do, no I can’t go to a different town in the other direction WAA WAA WAA oh do **** off.

Northwind

I couldn’t care less about the tour but I’d still be quite happy to do a lap of these people’s houses and give them all a long hard stare, what defective human beings they are. Shame really.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

They ought to have their bare buttocks whipped with a dead eel 😈

dazh

Here you go… http://www.hebdenbridge.co.uk/forum/2014/055.html

It’s incredible really. Most French towns or villages would kill to have the tour pass through and use it as an opportunity to have a big party, yet here people (thankfully a minority) are moaning cos they won’t be able to drive to the shop in the morning.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I have the ironman Wales bike leg come through my village every year.. we always head out for an hour or 2 of roadside cheering, clapping and shouting banter at the competitors. It’s great… A whole day without cars on the road as the village is shut down to traffic. Then you also get the grumpy dicks throwing tacks on the road.

blondy
    Free Member

😮 😀 @cheekyboy,i have that image in my head now..

cheekyboy
    Free Member

blondy – Member

@cheekyboy,i have that image in my head now..

My work is done 😈

blondy
    Free Member

made me laugh after a v long shitty day at work that…

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

They ought to have their bare buttocks testicles whipped with a dead live electric eel

IMO

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some places make an effort and get on board.
    IoM End to End, locals come out and cheer, some of the farmers had trays of sweets and water set up loads of people were there cheering from their gardens etc.
    Mega Avalanche, riding through an alpine meadow on a stupidly heavy dh bike stuck in top gear drowning in a FF lid was made much better by the local kids cheering on and families on the hill side watching.
    Local races over here in Oz had the locals turn up to do the lunches, buttie vans and BBQ’s really happy to have an event in their local place.
    UK bunch of loud mouthed NIMBY’s that have nothing better to do than complain on behalf of people they don’t know. As most start their rants it’s not about them but all the other people.

hora
    Free Member

Where we live in Manchester- during summer there are loads of events on where the roads close for most of Sundays.

Not a problem.

One day in 365. Are they the mental fringes of society? Yep

This tdf is a GREAT boost for cyclings image here in the UK. Far far bigger than a velodrome race. Build up in Hudds last night was brilliant.

simmy
    Free Member

Ironman UK passes within 1/2 mile of me and it’s always a pantomime with motorists kicking off about not being able to get through and being delayed.

They don’t see the massive yellow signs that are up for weeks before warning them.

One old girl I was trying to help with directions a couple of years ago asked me ” who’s going to pay for the extra petrol I use going all that way round ” and honestly sat there thinking I was going to hand her some money.

One guy kicked off on me when I was giving him directions. I was only trying to help and it was obvious I was nothing to do with the event, so I’m not speaking to anyone this year 😀

hora
    Free Member

simmy just be incredibly sarcastic. ‘go to specsavers as your glasses dont allow you to see the prominent signs’….

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

That Harrogate lot make me laugh. A spa town that has reinvented itself as a centre for trade shows and conferences. On a normal weekday you can’t move for white middle class blokes in suits looking lost whilst carrying their exciting ‘delegate packs’ around in plastic bags. It’s hardly a tight knit rural enclave!

BillMC

That’s a very ironic but real address. I wonder if we’ll hear from anyone in Melancholy Way?

hora
    Free Member

In my years out on the bike I’ve only ever come across any idiots except for two…one tried running me over in his 4×4 then hit reverse, jumped out and squared upto me. When I took him apart verbally he jabbed his finger repeatdly against his watch and said ‘I’m busy/I don’t need this’.

The other physically shoved me on a cheeky trail at 9am on a Sunday morning even though I’d slowed, pulled over and out of the way for him to pass. I had to ask him repeatdly to stop shoving me.

Both were in Hebden bridge.

ninfan
    Free Member

Having spent 12 years living in Harrogate, one has to comment that the Tour is there for one weekend in a lifetime – the F***ing chaos brought about by the Yorkshire show is every year!

RustySpanner

Just like the World Cup. 🙂
    Ironically for this place.

The vast majority will see the positives & enjoy it.
    Small minded tossers will moan and make themselves miserable.
    Because they like to.

Local pubs have been packed for the footy – it’s been a great tournament.
    The TdF is going to be amazing.

Don’t give the whiners a second thought.

grahamh
    Free Member

They don’t see the massive yellow signs that are up for weeks before warning them.

Had quit a bit of this in 94 when marshalling one of the uk stages of the tour. People arriving quite surprised at the road block, and claiming not to have seen any of the A3 size yellow signs warning of the road closure ahead.

langylad
    Free Member

Seem to remember quite a few whingings of a similar style on here a couple of years ago about another fairly prominent sporting event.

benji
    Free Member

I saw one woman the other day complaining that she wouldn’t be able to walk her dogs due to her road being closed.

Probably walking them to the local B&Q.

Guys at work didn’t even know it was on, let alone in the neighbouring county. Did enjoy a customer today who start berating all cyclists as he had just come back from Yorkshire, telling me what a bunch of expletives all cyclists were, faster back pedalling than a pedal back brake user, when I thanked him for his opinion on myself and friends.

grahamh
    Free Member

Guys at work didn’t even know it was on, let alone in the neighbouring county

FFS have they been living in a cave for the last 2 years????????

benji
    Free Member

FFS have they been living in a cave for the last 2 years????????

Cave far too modern for them 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘TdF whiners wibblers & dribblers’ is closed to new replies.