Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • TdF Stage 7 – Two Big Climbs [Spoilers]
  • RealMan
    Free Member

It is not just the 234.5 km distance which will make this stage hard to control. There will be two tough climbs in the run-up to the finish. The gradient on one of them, five kilometres from the line, hits 8%. With this course, will the sprinters’ team take the reins of the race and risk seeing their leaders blow up on the last slopes? It remains to be seen. With two weeks of racing left, some teams may have started dosing their efforts by the time we reach this point. All in all, I expect to see quite a tactical stage culminating in a thrilling finale. The peloton should reach Nancy in pieces.

I’m not a huge fan of Greipel (probably due to him being Cav’s and Sagan’s main rival in the past), but he’s a good rider, and has had a terrible time so far in the tour, hardly even being seen, so it’s great that he’s got a win.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOaS-8G5uE8[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kraUlCIx_Iw[/video]

Couldn’t find a picture of Tony dribbling unfortunately – Martin suffering is simply the best thing ever.

Photos from stage 6.

Today is a tricky one – I’d like to see Sagan do it (obviously), especially as he hasn’t had a win so far. Pretty tough climb with a descent to the finish, could suit Nibali as well if he wants to take some more time. Maybe Contador might fancy something too. Should be good to watch, no matter what. Break might even stay away.

A few useful links

Live Cycling News Text Updates
    Steephill
    Official Tour Live Feed App
    Classifications
    Withdrawals
    Fantasy League Standings
    Loser League Standings

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert-millar/robert-millar-team-sky-must-get-their-confidence-back

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/porte-ready-for-tour-de-france-leadership-role-at-team-sky

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tour-de-france-tech-special-gear-for-the-cobbles-of-stage-5back to cables for Garmin

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-horror-day-for-fdj

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/vincenzo-nibalis-power-output-tour-de-france-cobbles-129915everytime you mention doping just because someone rode well, a carbon frame somewhere snaps

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th9ivq2ph-I[/video]

Also here’s Simon Yates bike, he’s rocking the drop.

Lifer
    Free Member

I reckon Lotto will be trying to get Greipel another win today, he can get over the punchy climbs when on form. Depends what happens on the first climb.

brakes
    Free Member

what is going on with Lotto’s aero helmet? are the teams in a competition to see who can have the worst design?

Lifer
    Free Member

OGE definitely win on that front.

atlaz
    Free Member

Every time I see an OGE rider in an aero helmet I think of this little feller…

It is PISSING it down around here so I think they’re going to have an awful day packed with more crashes.

Lifer
    Free Member

Not good, been an absolute massacre so far.

Danny79
    Free Member

G’s video blog if you’ve not see it, talking with Porte about today:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RpJOHFoCjU&list=UUjvv0ciZyPnVsdWzoZLDDJA[/video]

jfletch
    Free Member

I’d put my money on a breakaway suceeding today.

I can’t see Kittel getting over the climbs after his performance yesterday. He looks ****ed. So his team won’t ride on the front all day. Astana won’t mind loaning yellow out for a few days so won’t be that keen to control things enless the gap gets silly. Lotto might do some work as Greipel can climb and Canondale might try to set it up for Sagan but I still fancy the break.

Unless it’s small and crap again. 6 guys and they have a chance.

RealMan
    Free Member

The break has already gone, and is exactly 6 guys. Doubt they’ll do it though.

speckledbob
    Free Member

I wonder if the the GC boys will keep their heads down today and rest up for the weekend. May be an opportunity for Nibali to get rid of the yellow jersey before the big stuff.

This has got to be Sagan’s. Short punchy climbs, descent then slightly uphill finish. Cannondale will control an early break. Sagan will attack with Nibali on the last climb, smash the descent, Sagan sprinting to glorious victory.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Can’t see that break making it.

Oh dear, Andy Schleck…

After pulling out of the race, Schleck travelled to Basle, Switzerland. An MRI scan and test revealed the full extent to his damaged knee with a rupture of both the collateral and cruciate ligaments plus a tear in the meniscus and bruising.
    On top of that was damage to the cartilage behind the knee cap. Schleck underwent surgery almost immediately but understands that he faces another long road back to full fitness.

warton
    Free Member

I think Gerrans for today…

RealMan
    Free Member

Astana won’t mind loaning yellow out for a few days

May be an opportunity for Nibali to get rid of the yellow jersey before the big stuff.

😕

I think Gerrans for today…

It did sound like OGE are planning something, but I’m not sure what sort of form he’s in.

anagallis_arvensis

After pulling out of the race, Schleck travelled to Basle, Switzerland. An MRI scan and test revealed the full extent to his damaged knee with a rupture of both the collateral and cruciate ligaments plus a tear in the meniscus and bruising.

i did that at bikepark Wales!! Not had me cruciate done yet though.. need Shlecks health insurance!!

RealMan
    Free Member

With Cannondale in control 4 minutes back..

Lifer
    Free Member

Yeah can’t see why Nibali would want to give any time away.

jfletch
    Free Member

Crappy break and Cannondale look like they want to control things. Looks like they will get caught after all unless the peleton make a mistake.

jfletch
    Free Member

Yeah can’t see why Nibali would want to give any time away.

He won’t want to give time to any of his rivals but if someone who can’t climb but was well placed had gone up the road then that would have suited Astana as it could have removed their obigation to control the peleton for a few days.

As it is it seems Cannondale are willing to do the work so they will be happy either way.

Cannondale and Astana are very chummy both being based in Italy and their goals are alligned over the next few stages so I can see Cannondale doing a lot of work over the coming days.

atlaz
    Free Member

Don’t forget that Nibali and Sagan are mates (at least racing mates) after their years as team mates. There’s no sprint threat to Sagan at Astana and no GC threat to Nibali at Cannondale so why not make a super team

RealMan
    Free Member

Clement abandons, looks nasty.

jfletch
    Free Member

Don’t forget that Nibali and Sagan are mates (at least racing mates) after their years as team mates. There’s no sprint threat to Sagan at Astana and no GC threat to Nibali at Cannondale so why not make a super team

Yep and if Cannondale merge with Garmin then a lot of Cannondale riders will be looking for a job and Astana is an obvious choice for that.

MrOvershoot

Great work as usual Realman, must take a chunk of time each day to put it together.

Though I’m not sure that is much of a drop from the saddle to the bars on Simon Yates bike as you think, the stem does have quite a drop but the back wheel is off the deck on a stand making it look bigger, it’s probably because it’s such a tiny frame.

Some of the taller riders do have a huge saddle to bars drop, I’m 6’3″ and my road bikes have about 3”-4” drop and would have more if my gut didn’t get in the way 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

Drops pretty much on level with the tyre = winning IMO 🙂

llama

Porte’s body language looks like he so does not want to be in this situation. Maybe it’s just being in the spotlight?

MrOvershoot

RealMan – Member

Drops pretty much on level with the tyre = winning IMO

Do that with a 60cm frame & I would be impressed :p

mrblobby
    Free Member

That does look a small frame, google tells me he’s tiddler at 5’8″. Good drop though and a nice old school bend.

Edit… google also tossed up this photo of Yates… the bars are down there somewhere!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not much going on today. Cannondale keeping the break on a tight leash.

scaredypants

Edit… google also tossed up this photo of Yates… the bars are down there somewhere!

on a track, mind (it looks like)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Eurosport commentators are now talking about jam making 🙂

ScottChegg
    Free Member

They aspire to be a bikey version of Test Match Special, dear old thing.

But are not; by a significant margin.

mattjg
    Free Member

there ought to be some nice off-roading in those hills

rusty90
    Free Member

They aspire to be a bikey version of Test Match Special

“And Sagan is determined to be the first to enter Nancy” (smirk, snigger) ?

Northwind

mrblobby – Member

Eurosport commentators are now talking about jam making

They should get Terry Wogan to present it, to take us on a gentle meander through his brain every time it gets boring

atlaz
    Free Member

there ought to be some nice off-roading in those hills

There is. The whole area is pretty good, more XC oriented natural trails than anything built tho

jambalaya
    Free Member

@atlas can you be more specific (towns will do I’ll look at IGN), need to find some reasonably accessible riding for when I’m in Paris.

So, Team SKY, I just don’t see them. Are they playing a smart tactical game, staying in the peleton, doing no work and waiting for the mountains ? Or are they really in some trouble decimated by crashes and just hanging on ?

mogrim

Nice looking area, but god this is a dull stage!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Oh dear, Van Garderen down.

Lifer
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    So, Team SKY, I just don’t see them. Are they playing a smart tactical game, staying in the peleton, doing no work and waiting for the mountains ? Or are they really in some trouble decimated by crashes and just hanging on ?

Porte’s in a pretty good position, no need for heroics today. I think they’ll be shadowing Saxo in the mountains as Bertie needs to work a lot more than Porte does.

soobalias
    Free Member

commentators blaming the movistar rider for that crash, dont think he knew much about about it, TJ was forced over by a team mate.

Lifer
    Free Member

Saxo, Katusha, BMC, Belkin, Trek all 1 rider down. Sky with 2 so ‘decimated’ is a bit strong too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 7 – Two Big Climbs [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.