Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 343 total)
  • TdF Stage 5 – A Stage Riddled With Dangers [Spoilers]
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Will the teams use a different tyre for wet or cobbled stages?

Yeah usually, probably see a fair amount of 25mm tyres around, and ones with a bit more tread.

If Froome’s wrist is bad I bet Brailsford wishes he could sub in Wiggins. He could have put mins into Contador on a day like today.

What? How?

nemesis
    Free Member

The GQ boys may just agree to just get through it and elt others race as that makes sense for them all

GQ?

Anyway, I can’t see it – Nibali will fancy anything remotely technical I reckon as his best chance of gaining time over AC or CF. Truces only work if everyone agrees to them and history says that it’s unlikely that their interests align enough here for that to happen.

At least once GC contender’s chances to be over after today I reckon. Who is the real question.

BTW, they’re on 28-30mm tyres these days for PR and that’s what they’ll be using today – they’re basically on full PR setups.

Lifer
    Free Member

RealMan – Member

“If Froome’s wrist is bad I bet Brailsford wishes he could sub in Wiggins. He could have put mins into Contador on a day like today.”

What? How?

Because he’s Lord Wiggo of bikes!

eddie11
    Free Member

Will people stop going on about wiggins as a plan B!!

i really think brailsford would love a guy who needs a flatish parcours and has no form on the team right now!

I would love wiggins to have ridden as a thakyou and goodbye for the british stages but if froome goes out brailsford will turn to Porte, or thomas etc. etc.

Junkyard
    Free Member

they may have a pop at him but they run the risk of crashing themselves if they go for it

Lifer
    Free Member

They just need to get the Sky Train rolling to get into the sections first, hold a line and make others try and overtake. I say that with vast* experience of racing and cobbles.

*zero, except for watching…

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Suspect we’ll see the GC teams at the front controlling the pace and trying to keep their boys out of trouble. Will be tricky to pull for the whole race given how many teams will wan to do that and how narrow a lot of the roads are.

Breakaway(s) with the classics boys to win? Spartacus, Vanmarcke, Chavanel, one of the OMQS riders? With the peloton a few minutes down keeping themselves safe?

Klunk
    Free Member

Chaos and mayhem here we come – question today is not if you crash- the question is only how often and how hard you crash. Gladiators.

Jens twitter 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Surely the charge for Arenberg will be on, GC or not, its just safer at the front

Lifer
    Free Member

Crosswinds on the first 50km or so before they get to the cobbles could play a massive part too.

llama

Contador surprised everyone last time by being OK on the cobbles (OK it was dry)

Froome probably rode surfaces worse and for longer in his youth.

Nibbles has a dropper post (!)

I don’t reckon in an uneventful trip over the cobbles any of those are going to loose much on any of the others.

However, the randomness factor is key. If someone is unlucky with a tyre/mechanical/painful wrist/crash and the others see a chance, it’s going to be pain time.

Anyway Sparticus ftw

Lifer
    Free Member

Froome has ridden P-R too, but 7/8 years ago (IIRC) and pulled out after crashing into the back of a commissaire’s car.

llama

and Frank Schleck to fall off and abandon

Klunk
    Free Member

I somehow have the feeling I’m about to be part of something epic and historical. A day I might never forget. Better make it a good memory!

Koen de Kort twitter

brakes
    Free Member

is their any eventuality that hasn’t been covered above?

RealMan
    Free Member

is their any eventuality that hasn’t been covered above?

We haven’t actually talked about the possibility of Kittel winning (again).

It is flat enough..

Klunk
    Free Member
    jfletch
    Free Member

Will the teams use a different tyre for wet or cobbled stages?

Yeah usually, probably see a fair amount of 25mm tyres around, and ones with a bit more tread.[/quote]

Most of the peleton are actually on 25mm tyres for every stage now. More aero and less rolling resistance. For cobbles they will be on 28/30mm and 75PSI ish.

If Froome’s wrist is bad I bet Brailsford wishes he could sub in Wiggins. He could have put mins into Contador on a day like today.

What? How? [/quote]

Well obviously the how is impossible hence the “wishes” part of the statement.

But Brailsfords unflinching attitude that maxmising the probability of plan A suceeding is the best route to sucess is all very sound logic. He explained it very well on the latest Cycling Podcast. But it is only sound logic up until the point plan A goes up shit creek and the probablity of sucess drops to zero.

So before the tour Chris Froome’s (and therefore Team Sky’s) probability of winning the tour is increased if Wiggins isn’t in the team so he isn’t in the team. But right now, if Froome has broken his wrist and can’t ride the cobbles properly then Team Sky’s probablity of winning the tour would be higher if BW was in the race. Someone who was Top 10 in Roubaix could put mins into a skinny climber on wet cobbles.

And BW not being in form is a red herring. If he was selected for the tour he would have been on form.

So leaving him out may have been the right choice 5 days ago when the decision had to be made but if Brailsfor knew then that CF would fall off on stage 4 he might have made a different decision.

mudshark
    Free Member

We haven’t actually talked about the possibility of Kittel winning (again).

Hope not, swapped him out for Spartacus in my Road CC team.

Klunk
    Free Member

“There are four possibilities on this stage,” says two-time Tour de France winner Alberto Contador. “Either nothing happens, or you lose time, or your rivals lose time, or you go home in a crash.”

The Spaniard adds: “I’m not scared, but I have a lot of respect for the pave.”

VanHalen

Not really. If Froome is crocked then this may be the opertunity for Nibbles or Contador to put some time into him.

one can only assume contador is baby jake and froome is a hamsternaut

theredsnapper
    Free Member

RealMan, loving your posts….this is my essential TdF reading..cheers fella!

🙂 😆 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Martin has got himself in the break… Perhaps to set up Terpstra?

Klunk
    Free Member

sagan for yellow

speckledbob
    Free Member

Cancellara is the obvious choice for this so i’ll go for him. By the end of the day I’m putting Sagan in Yellow and Nibali to gain time over the other gc contenders. But anything could happen. Looking forward to it. Hope I get to see it.

cloudnine
    Free Member

contador is baby jake and froome is a hamster nautical

Goggi gi yaa!

RealMan
    Free Member

Froome crashed…

Klunk
    Free Member

froome down again !!!! they seem to have the hammer down very early

everyone
    Free Member

Some guys there testing the tarmac again.

theotherjonv

From the BBC website:

“Earlier chatted to Eddy Merckx, who basically said cobbles are part of riding and that the peloton should just get on with it.”

That’s them told then.

Klunk
    Free Member

taking the piss a bit running right behind the team car

cheers_drive

Tony Martin for the win. Solo break.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looks a grim old day out here. Froome is keeping those Rapha tailors busy.

RealMan
    Free Member

Holy s**t this is with 50m to go!

RealMan
    Free Member

And Martin has crashed too…

Klunk
    Free Member

sky boys look well nervy out there bringing Froome back

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Well I will be very surprised if Froome doesn’t come off again on the Pave, this turning into a right calamity!

RealMan
    Free Member

Froome back in the peloton, the break down to 6 riders.. Not sure if the break is going to get caught, or if they’re just going to crash/have a mechanical one by one until there’s no one left?

rOcKeTdOg
    Junkyard
    Free Member

the entire peleton or just the breakaway …signing out this is turning into one stage to watch when I get in

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 343 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 5 – A Stage Riddled With Dangers [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.