Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 207 total)
  • TdF Stage 21 – Around The Arc-de-Triomphe [Spoilers]
  • RealMan
    Free Member

It’s the final day, and it’s going to be incomparable in the strictest sense because we really wanted to pay full tribute at the end of this 100th edition. From the sporting perspective, there shouldn’t be too many surprises: it’s difficult to imagine the sprinters missing out! And if that sprinter happens, for the fifth consecutive occasion, to be called Mark Cavendish, then that really would be an extraordinary exploit. From the celebratory point of view, we have an unforgettable route, which will start in the gardens of the Palace of Versailles, pass the monument to Jacques Anquetil, then go through the courtyard of the Louvre, before turning not in front of but around the Arc de Triomphe. The finish will be at dusk, at around 9.45pm. It will be magical…

Well Froome did go big, but then thought, “**** it, I’ve already won” and cruised the last few k, giving Quintana a huge win. He’s definitely one to watch in the future. Rodriguez also one to watch at the Vuelta (assuming he’s racing it). A lovely ride from Jens in what will most likely be his final tour, he held on for 32nd on the stage as well, beating Rolland by nearly 2 minutes..

[video]http://vimeo.com/70704873[/video]

Photos from Stage 20

It has to be Cavendish – right?

Remember it’s a late stage, probably best to start watching around 7pm – 8pm.

A few useful links

Live Cycling News Text Updates
    Steephill
    Official Tour Live Feed App
    Classifications
    Withdrawals
    Fantasy League Standings
    Loser League Standings

In the fantasy league The Blackest Rats by HitamTikus takes a massive leap forward to take 1st place by quite a margin, knocking Ro5ey’s Roulers by andy rose into joint 2nd with The Hounds of Zaroff by Ceri. The loser league is pretty much all over, thanks to Contador’s performance Time to do some crashing still sits smugly on the bottom, and surely only Goss winning in Paris can change that. Might as well start celebrating now…

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-no-vuelta-a-espana-title-defence

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome-tour-de-france-has-been-an-amazing-journey

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/quintana-overjoyed-with-first-tour-de-france-stage-win

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/becca-offers-frank-schleck-a-way-back

http://www.itv.com/tourdefrance/news/100th-tour-de-france-in-quotes/

Rolland blocking Anton

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCUD0CPKJSM[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFkjPgccHto[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go0rtUrD8C4[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbOqrqjXw2o[/video]

RustyMac

First things first.
    Huge thanks to Realman for putting these posts together each day. Not a single stage missed, setting a high bar for yourself next year.

Looking forward to tonight’s stage, hopping and crossing my fingers for a 5th win for Cav however it is a tough one to call. I think Kittel may take it.

theotherjonv

I know Cav’s been beatable this year, but often because his lead out hasn’t been there to set him up properly. Should be no excuse for them not being there today, and if they are and set him up straight I still can’t see anyone taking it off him on a wide straight sprint unless someone goes dirty again.

jekkyl

I love this one, all the riders kick back and chat all the way round, like a great big social ride.

crazy-legs

+1 on the thanks to RealMan. 🙂 Great that everyone understands it as well, we’ve done away with the situation a few years ago where there were dozens of TdF threads every day (and a few spoilers). Top work sir!

Hmm, tonight – Cav will be SO fired up tonight and when he is that’s usually when he wins. The stage where he was beaten by Kittel was totally unexpected for him, the look of disbelief he gave as a rider came from behind him to beat him said it all – that’s never happened before. This time he’ll know what he’s up against and be ready for it, no-one knows the Champs-Elysees sprint lines and timing better than Cav.

Shame I’m not in London, I reckon the place to watch this will be either Look Mum No Hands or the Rapha Shop on Brewer Street, the atmosphere in both will be amazing!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cav owns the Champs, it has to be him!

Froome, epic achievement and done in style (both on and off the bike.) I hope he gets the recognition he deserves. Chapeau!

RealMan, many thanks for kicking these off each day, great threads.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Thanks for the threads RealMan. I know you were looking for a topless photo of Froome for man crush assessment, so if it hasn’t been posted already, here you go:

mugsys_m8

Real Man. Thanks.
    The threads have been a very useful quick find reference as I juggle working from a hotel room in Azerbaijan and keeping up with le tour each day.Thank you. I really mean it.

YellowBelly
    Free Member

Many thanks Realman. Great posts.
    It’s been a magical few weeks. Great too see another Sky/ ‘British winner’. Froome’s dominant display on Ax 3 domaines was similar to last year at Planches des belles filles where they destroyed everyone early doors and then held on to the jersey for the remainder of the race.
    Was great to have 5 stage wins by Brits this year.
    We want six.
    We want six.
    We want six.
    (Don’t even care if stannard/ millar/ thomas/ kenneugh gets it in a break).

Junkyard
    Free Member

If we get any more bromance for you RM we will ask for one of you topless 😀

Chapeau and whats more this year you got them all out before the stage actually started 😉

Its good to follow the tour on here with an informed audience and it helps signify the Summer so top show
    Cracking tour and some of the big mountain days were awesome
    Agree Quintanna got be a player at GC level an one would assume Vueletta first given the climbs there?

Cav hopefully but this is the first Paris stage where i have not been confident for him

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

+1 on the thanks to RealMan. Great that everyone understands it as well, we’ve done away with the situation a few years ago where there were dozens of TdF threads every day (and a few spoilers). Top work sir!

Agreed in full!

It has to be Cav, doesn’t it? Surely…..Surely!

yossarian
    Free Member

Thanks realman. I’ve headed here every day for my morning tour digest. Good work.

I think today will tell us just how much of threat Kittel really is to Cav.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Cheers for all the threads Realman, you have without a shadow of a doubt increased my enjoyment of the tour this year. It was a joy reading ’em everyday.

Come on Cav!!!

Frankers
    Free Member

Can someone please tell me when the TV coverage starts today, I’m abroad at the mo and struggling to work out the UK time

reggiegasket
    Free Member

but why do they still pin numbers on their jerseys?

All this money thrown at R&D and aero benefits and marginal gains and trick team buses and they can’t print up some jerseys with a number on the back. Not even on the time trial kit… is there a rule that says the white number patches have to be stuck in the 70s?

SamB
    Free Member

So this is a thing that happened – not sure which stage it was on though! Recreating Watson’s jump over the TdF 10 years on 🙂

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/323396/

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Top Top posting Realman… Many thanks

I’m feeling a bit like Contador this morn in the velogames ….The Blackest Cats have done a great impression of JRod and have put in a great last effort…. well played

A Sagan win this eve would help the Fantasy Team, as he doesn’t feature in The Blackest Cats… But c’mon some things are far more important….

GO CAV

In the road.cc league its super close at the top there as well… but gotta feeling I’m gonna be the bridesmaid in that one as well.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll join in in the RealMan luv in, superb effort Sir.

Tonight will be hilarious, Golden Fleece?? Uber bling init.

Proper TdF, proper.

speckledbob
    Free Member

I think Kittel is faster. Cav has loads of experience and huge skill and excellent judgement. But this is not a finish for winging it. Teams need to be slick and well organised and this is the problem. It’s an easy one to balls up. 5 wins in a row would be amazing but Argos are strong. ,

But what an amazing tour. Froome was really impressive and fully deserves the win. Although I think he sometimes needs to calm down and let others do the chasing. Some amazing victories. Particularly enjoyed Bakelants’ win.

Well done Realman.

Allez Cav. Today he needs Renshaw.

butcher

I know Cav’s been beatable this year, but often because his lead out hasn’t been there to set him up properly. Should be no excuse for them not being there today, and if they are and set him up straight I still can’t see anyone taking it off him on a wide straight sprint unless someone goes dirty again.

You missed the one where Kittel jumped out from behind Cav in full flight and claimed the stage then?

It’ll be an interesting one if all goes to script.

I predict a big crash (probably caused by Sagan doing a wheelie), and Tommy Voeckler gurning his way through the bodies to take the stage win.

headfirst
    Free Member

You’ve done a first class job RealMan, chapeau to you sir.

Hoping for a Cav win but not 100% confident, but unpredictability and surprises are what have made this a properly exciting, cracking tour.

Vive le Tour!

headfirst
    Free Member

@butcher: I think Cav was complacent that day and eased off just before the line, presuming everyone else was at least a bike length behind. Hence the sideways look of shock. If he’d kept going full gas he would’ve won. That’s not to say Kittel hasn’t got a very good kick!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sat in parc moncleu about to head down to the champs for a wander aboit and watch the bankers ridiing up and down pretending to be the peloton ……

Junkyard
    Free Member

Can someone please tell me when the TV coverage starts today, I’m abroad at the mo and struggling to work out the UK time

5:15 eurosport

4:30 ITV

Both BST

mrblobby
    Free Member

Splendid, can watch the intro on ITV then switch to Eurosport for the proper coverage avoiding those two buffoons on ITV.

soobalias
    Free Member

standing ovation for realman, good work sir.

loving the late finish, ride this afternoon and back in time to watch…..

c’mon cav

mrblobby
    Free Member

Whilst we’re doing a bit of back slapping, congrats to (mostly) all the posters too for helping to avoid descending each thread into the usual pointless debate about doping. Or for that matter debating whether Froome is somehow “not properly British” (FFS!) For that I am grateful.

Now lets get on with the racing… come on Cav 🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

+1 for mrblobby.

I’ve been impressed both by the daily round up (thanks realman) and by the lack of derailment of these threads.

Has STW finally grown up? :mrgreen:

Now let me see that golden tunic!

brakes
    Free Member

Recreating Watson’s jump over the TdF 10 years on

wow! was that 10 years ago? did he crash like Dave Watson though?

thanks to RealMan for these threads

really really really hope Cav wins.

fathomer

Thanks Realman, top threads.

Quick question, anyone know what time , roughly, the finish time is?

Oh and come on Cav!!

ctk
    Free Member

Finish at 9.45 approx

Jamie
    Free Member

ITV4 Now.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ctk that finish estimate is French time

@realman – many thanks

Cav’s looked a little off from his best, inc on the intermediate sprint yesterday. Its going to be interesting.

Massive respect for Froome and the way he’s won it. Next year is going to be very interesting. What will Wiggins do ?

Bit of a crime as I’m in paris but cannot make the Champs Elysee tonight 🙁

crazy-legs

Cav’s looked a little off from his best, inc on the intermediate sprint yesterday. Its going to be interesting.

Cav was ill early on in the Alps, hope he’s recovered OK. And that final intermediate sprint, they were just messing around cos everyone knew Sagan has it won.

Right, let’s get this show on the road! ITV4 now then I’ll switch to EuroSport later. 🙂

ell_tell
    Free Member

Just to add to the thanks to RealMan, chapeau sir.

I’m going to stick my neck on the line and plump for a Cav victory as I reckon he’ll have come out of the mountains with more energy than Kittel and has just that bit more experience on the champs elysees.

I’ve also noticed in the velogames league headfirst and I appear to share the same thoughts regarding team jersey and name. I’ve finished very far down though 🙂

headfirst
    Free Member

Ell tell, great minds think alike 😉 Although my team was clearly greater than yours 😆

crazy-legs

Ooh, Sean Yates is commentating on EuroSport 2.
    He sounds a bit drunk! 🙂

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Is it me or is Cav looking a bit portly round the waist!? (For a pro cyclist coming off the toughest race of the season)

psling
    Free Member

Be good to see Cav maintain his run of wins in Paris and he has the experience albeit with a different lead out this year but he knows where he needs to be coming round the final bend; other teams will have studied the line into that bend but Cav will want his train to be there first.

Cheers for another excellent effort this year RealMan. Same time, same place next year? 8)

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Sagan’s beard? 😯

And thanks realman!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 207 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 21 – Around The Arc-de-Triomphe [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.