Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 159 total)
  • TdF Stage 20 – The Alpe d'Huez
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

And to day is the penultimate stage, the iconic Alpe d’Huez. A stage littered with words, blood, sweat and very often tears.

I have no predictions other than I shall be glued to the telly box with some popcorn and a grin.

There will be many tired legs, think about the Sprinters, think about these guys that have hacked along the bumps all day often coming in an hour after the leader, often very cold and bored, annoyed and inevitably pissed off that another hairpin only leads to another and another and another…
    All this for tomorrow.. the glamour of Paris.

This stage for me is dedicated to the likes of Cav. 😀

The short, sharp final mountain stage has become common in the Tour de France in the last few years. The organisers have correctly reasoned that the best way of guaranteeing excitement towards the end of the Tour, when all the riders are at the limits of fatigue, is to shorten the distance covered, while not compromising on the mountains. This experiment was first conducted in 2011, on the same route as this stage, and it was so successful, it has become a regular feature.

The route, on paper, is a classic one, but suffered a late change due to a closed tunnel alongside th Chabron lake and risk of a major landslide. ASO has confirmed that the stage will cover the same distance but climb the col de la Crox-de-Fer instead of the Galibier.

The Alpe is by far the most-visited finishing climb at the Tour, and it attracts huge crowds. Its 21 hairpin bends, each bearing a plaque with the name of a previous Alpe stage winner, are as integral a part of the Tour as the Champs Elysées, the yellow jersey and sun-drenched fields of sunflowers.

The profile of stage 20 of the 2015 Tour de France
    http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2015/06/25/1/profil_670.jpgTactical explainer

The 2011 stage on this route was hugely exciting, helped by the compression of the action into just a few hours, rather than over five or six. After a 25km shallow descent down the Maurienne valley, the route starts climbing the Col de la Croix-de-Fer. It is a grinding 29km long, with the steepest parts near the bottom before a easier middle section and a gradual kick up to the summit. The descent is testing before hitting the Bourg valley in Allemont, which leads to Bourg d’Oisans at the base of Alpe d’Huez. The Alpe is, along with Plateau de Beille, one of the two hardest summit finishes in this year’s Tour.

In 2011, the GC riders were split up by pressure from Alberto Contador, forcing a spectacular series of pursuits and fragmented groups up the Galibier. It was hugely exciting. But the only problem with this particular route was revealed on the descent of the Lautaret, where a headwind blew – the groups got organised and slowly pulled back Contador and the small handful of rivals who’d followed. The race detonated again on the Alpe, but the actual result was less exciting than the racing which produced it. Depending on which way the wind blows this time, the 2015 Tour could yet be decided on this final day in the mountains.

Stats & Facts

Alpe d’Huez has hosted 28 previous stage finishes, more than any other summit climb.
    The man in yellow after the Alpe d’Huez stage often goes on to win the Tour. It’s happened 22 times, against six against. That number will rise to 23 this year.
    However, the Alpe stage winner has only ever gone on to win the Tour two times, against 24 who have not. (Lance Armstrong did do it twice before being stripped of his yellow jerseys.

Swelper
    Free Member

Excellent write up, cheers

I too will be plugged into the sofa, there’s going to be many attacks and races within the race for top 10 positions

It’s gonna be a good un today for sure

colournoise

bikebouy
    Free Member

Cheers dude.

I’m rubbish at importing pics.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

a word from Cav, i think he’s fed up,

Bertie to win today, Sagan tomorrow,

senorj

I have just negotiated with the missus to watch it live. Hurrah .
    What odds on Nairo breaking Froome’s heart?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well for a punt for a winner today it really could be Quinty or Froomie.. I have no bias towards either, but would really love to see both ride each other to the point of total exhaustion at the line, then fall off the bike.
    Whilst this sounds awful, theres nothing more embedded in cycling than man on man competition until one falls off having given everything.

As is.. I think it’ll be Bardet or Cigar boy for today.

richen987
    Free Member

hopefully Valverde and Quintana will attack all afternoon with Sky crumbling.
    Bertie to sneak a cheeky win with a do or die break from the lower part of the Alpe

lemonysam
    Free Member

Looking forward to today. Feeling fairly broken from yesterday’s ride so no climbing today – just got to pop to the shops before I take root on the sofa for the day.

Prediction: sadly I think it might be dull from an overall GC perspective. I think Sky saved some energy yesterday and will be all out for the win today. Quintana to stay close but ultimately get dropped and Froome to win it by a minute.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d be looking for some sky formation today. One last push and I wonder if those who were dropped switched to conservation asap. Going to be a beauty though anyone know where it’s showing in Jakarta?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Movistar desperately (and pathetically) try to defend Valverde’s podium and lose it to Nibali. Froome for the stage win. The Yates’s to bounce off the front a few times but can’t quite make it stick.

lunge

Cracking thread starter.

I’m am heartbreakingly not going to be able to watch this and will be replying on this thread and Twitter to keep me updated.

Pinot for the win, Froome for overall but only after losing a chunk of time today, he’ll get it my under a minute I reckon.

MSP

I don’t see the classifications changing now, moviestar have been too cautious over the past couple of days, they should have used(sacrificed) Valverdie a bit more with some punchy attacks to try and break Froome, especially yesterday. I think sky might be a bit fresher today, the other teams put more effort in yesterday, but they rode mainly at pace, that was never going to break Froome.

Looking forward to it, I expect it will be another battle between Froome and Quintana at the end, do the other teams have a plan B to bring to the game? Maybe Bardet having a go as an outside bet.

MrSmith
    Free Member

The tour website is very confusing and I can’t find the schedule to work out roughly when it finishes, it’s a shorter stage, anyone know when it’s supposed to finish today?

Edit: found it, 3:20-3:40ish

lemonysam
    Free Member

edit: misread

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ALPE D’HUEZ 0.0 110.5 14h42 16h20 16h32 16h42
    ALPE D’HUEZ 0.0 110.5 14h42 16h20 16h32 16h42

Caravan, fast/med/well done all en france
    GBR FROOME Christopher 31 TEAM SKY 78h 37′ 34”
    2. COL QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander 51 MOVISTAR TEAM 78h 40′ 12” + 02′ 38”
    3. ESP VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro 59 MOVISTAR TEAM 78h 42′ 59” + 05′ 25”
    4. ITA NIBALI Vincenzo 1 ASTANA PRO TEAM 78h 44′ 18” + 06′ 44”
    5. ESP CONTADOR Alberto 41 TINKOFF-SAXO 78h 45′ 30” + 07′ 56”
    6. NED GESINK Robert 131 TEAM LOTTO NL – JUMBO 78h 46′ 29” + 08′ 55”
    7. SUI FRANK Mathias 181 IAM CYCLING 78h 50′ 13” + 12′ 39”
    8. NED MOLLEMA Bauke 141 TREK FACTORY RACING 78h 50′ 56” + 13′ 22”
    9. FRA BARDET Romain 12 AG2R LA MONDIALE 78h 51′ 42” + 14′ 08”
    10. FRA ROLLAND Pierre 121 TEAM EUROPCAR 78h 55′ 01” + 17′ 27”
    11. USA TALANSKY Andrew 161 TEAM CANNONDALE-GARMIN 78h 55′ 59” + 18′ 25”
    12. ESP SANCHEZ Samuel 66 BMC RACING TEAM 78h 57′ 01” + 19′ 27”
    13. BEL PAUWELS Serge 218 MTN-QHUBEKA 79h 04′ 22” + 26′ 48”
    14. FRA BARGUIL WARREN 82 TEAM GIANT-ALPECIN 79h 04′ 34” + 27′ 00”
    15. GBR THOMAS Geraint 39 TEAM SKY 79h 04′ 58” + 27′ 24”

brakes
    Free Member

I hope it finished on time. I have to leave the house at 4pm for a TT.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A view from inside Sky

In this year’s Tour, that means racing over the Col de la Croix de Fer, which was included in the route to replace the Col du Galibier that was recently cut out due to a nearby landslide.
    And on a stage that is only 110 kilometres long, the ingredients were all there for another brutal stage for us all, especially off the back of Friday’s 19th stage that went as hard and fast as we all suspected it would, even if I would have preferred that it did not.
    I’m so tired right now, like so many in the peloton, and now I feel a chest infection coming on. But with Froomey so close to clinching that second Tour title, it was not hard to find the motivation to draw whatever energy is left to try and make sure he goes all the way.
    But, to be honest, I have probably never looked so forward to reaching Paris than now as well.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/tour-de-france/tour-de-france-2015-taking-on-the-craziness-that-is-lalpe-dhuez-in-a-tour-de-france-20150725-gikfdm.html#ixzz3gtWPHJPI
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/tour-de-france/tour-de-france-2015-tempers-fray-as-exhausted-peloton-nears-paris-20150724-gijht9

speckledbob
    Free Member

Unfortunately there will be some who don’t make it today which is a real shame so near the end. Hope all the sprinters get over within time. It’s been a tough one this year.

Despite what been said about Froome having it in the bag two weeks ago that clearly isn’t the case. Sky look tired to me and so does Froome. Quintana is going to attack hard and looked good yesterday. However i don’t think he can look to Valverde for help as he will be desperately trying to hold off Nibali who looks to have finally, maybe, hit form. Contador will also be trying to salvage something from what has been a bad tour for him. Lots of teams will see this as the last chance for a stage win.

It’ll be a tough day for everyone. Massive respect to all the riders. What a race this is.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Here’s the thing though – the Croix de Fer is a far harder climb that the Alpe. I predict it all going off all over the place today. Can’t wait.

mrchrispy

I’m at a bloody wedding all day!
    dont get me wrong, I wish the bride and groom the very best but today of all days ffs!

Will be hunting a tellybox of walking around with a ear piece in secret service stylee. may even speak into my hand on occasion to complete the image
    🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

GT to sneak away unnoticed and make up 25+mins putting him in second.
    Froome to deliberately break everyone else and ultimately coast across the line with an early glass of champers.

nice for the cheating italian to give us something to dislike

MoreCashThanDash

I shall be dropping my darling children off at Peak 2015 this afternoon. I’m hoping to get back in time for the highlights show.

I’m hoping Sky were being cautious yesterday. Quintana looked to have worked hard yesterday at the end, they need to sacrifice Valverde to help him today, but I doubt he can catch Froome today, he isn’t 2.5 minutes quicker.

I’d love to see the Yates brothers have a proper crack at it today while the contenders pussy foot round each other

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

My dad loved this stage and had been on numerous occasions to watch . I’ll be watching it thinking of him , can’t wait.

Garry_Lager

Not normally a betting man, but just stuck a tenner on Froome @ 11/4 as I was walking past the bookies.

He did look tired yesterday, and Quintana is sure to throw in some hard digs. But Froome’s been ridiculed, pished and spat on this Tour – reckon he will lay it all out there and rage up the Alpe.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Think I got him at 4-1 early doors.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Geniez in the break!!!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Tarte Myrtille for lunch, it’s almost like being there…

jonnyrockymountain

Froome definitely deserves it he and sky have fantastic, but this is the hardest day for him, let’s hope he comes out on top, it would have been nice to See GT in top 5 as well but a bad day yesterday for him, it’s going to really exiting to watch!!!

slowoldman

I have just negotiated with the missus to watch it live.

Negotiated? I’m watching it WITH mine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anyone heading out and want to leave a Web Cam in front of the TV for me? Off to Google other feeds

lemonysam
    Free Member

Take a look here for feeds: http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/#live

wordnumb
    Free Member

ITV4 calling for vigilante action against aggressive spectators. I’m not going to argue with the principle but this might not end well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In Indonesia Sam…..

Who on itv4? Can’t imagine Sherigget can get beyond castles and mountain bikers

slowoldman

ITV4 calling for vigilante action against aggressive spectators.

Slightly silly thing to put out on TV. Mind you, they deserve it.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Those feeds might not be 100% legitimate so you should be able to get them

wordnumb
    Free Member

Don’t know the names of commentators but there was definitely a hint of find these people via social media. Vigilante is overstating it, obviously.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is it looking like a holding pattern up there? Itchy trigger fingers?

Gary_C

Did I hear right on the tv commentary that the spectators on ‘Dutch Corner’ were verbally abusing the Sky team support vehicles as they made their way up the alp?

Hope nothing untoward happens when the riders pass.

lemonysam
    Free Member

It’s kicking off…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 20 – The Alpe d'Huez’ is closed to new replies.