Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • TdF Stage 2 – Expect Some Real Damage [Spoilers]
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Initially, there will be plenty of hoopla around the yellow jersey: whether it’s Cavendish or Kittel, we should expect the race to unfold in exactly the same way, and the same goes if Sagan has it. That’s because this second stage is a real rollercoaster ride: the Col de la Serra and Col de Vizzavona, followed, at the end, by the Côte du Salario. If you ask me, this parcours is going to cause some real damage! The sprinters will bail out one after another. I even think a team leader who is not in the best of condition ? I’m thinking of how Evans was last year ? could see all of their hopes dashed on this stage, before sinking altogether on the stage that follows, on a course where it will be even harder to hide away…

Well yesterday was a mess… Crashes, buses, flying boats… Standard tour stuff really.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmEQgPcspQQ[/video]

Hopefully we will have less crashing today, although I wouldn’t bet on it. Sagan and Cav are my standard favourites (as always).

Photos from Stage 1

There was several crashes near the finish. This one was caused by Andre Greipel trying to squeeze through a small gap which derailed the Omega Pharma Quick Step team including Tony Martin (bloody, but calm in the middle) and Mark Cavendish. Tony Martin abandoned the race – not confirmed.

A few useful links

Live Cycling News Text Updates
    Steephill
    Official Tour Live Feed App
    Classifications
    Withdrawals
    Fantasy League Standings
    Loser League Standings

StefMcDef goes to the head of the field in the Fantasy league, with 4 people in joint first place in the loser league. Interestingly enough, Hoppy’s loser team has more points than StefMcDef’s winning team. Early days though..

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro-bike-peter-sagans-cannondale-supersix-evo-1

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert-millar/robert-millar-silence-wont-stop-the-doping-stories

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-blames-finish-line-changes-for-crash

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-crash-and-injury-update-after-stage-1

the_lecht_rocks

Indeed, one of the craziest stages I’ve seen yesterday. I wonder if the cat 2 will open out any advantages today…

stevious

Would have thought Sagan would be a favourite here, but I guess that depends on how he heals overnight.

Would love to see Argos-Shimano put up a big ol’ fight to keep yellow though.

rOcKeTdOg

Rider challenge: park team bus perpendicular to the inter sprint line, riders have to go over it #easy4sagan

mogrim

That’s a great looking stage, would love to have a ride of that…

Sagan does look good for this one, that last climb at 12km out seems designed for a break.

Bregante

[dont expect it to last] Yay team slug in 4th!!! [/don’t expect it to last/]

Stoner
    Free Member

Any more news on Martin. It would be really tragic if he did have to abandon.

beej

I’ll go for Degenkolb – he should be able to get over the climb OK, and he’s a pretty quick finisher too.

lunge

Looks like a stage for a breakaway win to me, enough lumps to break the sprinters and a downhill second half that won’t help the bunch chase. Lets be romantic and say David Millar to get into a big breakaway and to finish well.

sputnik
    Free Member

I would like to see Philippe Gilbert win this one!

headfirst
    Free Member

Still not too late for Cav to get yellow?? With the last summit 60k out from the finish and a flat final 5 I think it’s doable. What’s the smiley for “hopeful, fingers and toes crossed”?

stevious

Apparently Tony Martin has been given the OK to start today. Obviously hard as nails.

jonba
    Free Member

To me this has a breakaway win written all over it. Sprinters won’t be able to get back on even with their teams. A breakaway rider will need only a second to get the stage and yellow so I expect some suicidal attacks. Relatively unknown rider from a small team. Nothing to lose biggest career win the possibility.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I’m amazed that the bus driver didn’t kill anyone the way he reversed the bus back off the line. I can only presume they let Benny Hill take the wheel for the day..

speckledbob
    Free Member

Looks good today. I have no idea how to call it. That last lump may just be the decider. Could be anybodies. Hope Cav can hold on in the climbs but everyone going to think it’s their day.

cinnamon_girl

RealMan – thank you for doing a sterling job of posting the route map, links etc. 8) This is the go-to thread on STW. 🙂

llama

Difficult one to call

If the teams flex their muscles on the climbs then Sagan is going to have to work hard to get back to the front.

I’m going for a long shot: cuddles to win a bunch sprint

corroded
    Free Member

Looking forward to this, though it’s going to be another late night down under. I can’t see pure sprinters making it to the finish first, so I’m going to go for an all-rounder who’s a good descender and is no threat to the GC (which rules out Cadel): Sagan or Gilbert or a French chancer.

mugsys_m8

Anyone know any free live tv feeds? steephill tv now only listing the official ones. Thanks

scaredypants

ITV4 streams live, I think

jonba
    Free Member

proper cyclingfans would know where to go but I doubt it is fully legit

mugsys_m8

Thanks, am overseas though.

soobalias
    Free Member

firstrow

if you honestly cant find a useable language friendly stream from
    http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/#live

mugsys_m8

Cheers am listening to some euro cycling fans whilst watching TV

corroded
    Free Member

Interesting interview with Simon Gerrans who reckons it will be a bunch sprint: after the 2 cat climb the road is wide and not too twisty and the final climb is only 1km.

mugsys_m8

Gilbert not out as I feared there!

psling
    Free Member

Hope not though he wasn’t looking too happy; but then I was thinking that aboutG a short while ago and he’s ridden back into the peleton now.

corroded
    Free Member

Also, it’s a short stage at 150km so I might revise my opinion and go for Cav!

trail_rat
    Free Member

andre gets the intermediate – cav just limiting damage ? – doesnt seem to be hitting the famous cav after burners – or is sagan just upped his game this year…. gripel did make them look stupid though – you guys are racing but im just going to ride up the side of you guys.

headfirst
    Free Member

Go on Tommy!

mugsys_m8

June 30 important update: As of today, we will no longer link to unauthorized live video sources due to malicious popup advertising and potential copy infringements. After much thought I have made this decision to avoid confusion, because steephill.tv has nothing to do with these external sites.

I was hoping the cycling market would sort itself out by now and provide more viable options for internet users around the globe, but that’s not the case yet. Nonetheless, I believe its time for this site to only support authorized broadcasters.

In the directory below, you’ll see links to legitimate sources and their tv schedules in various countries, but there will be fewer unrestricted links going forward.

I’ll have more to say on this later. — Steve

DenDennis
    Free Member

i’ll love it if it ends a sprint but I doubt it on this one-
    interesting tweet from Cav earlier- any further comment on this?

Mark Cavendish ?@MarkCavendish 5h

I’d love an explanation from @UCI_cycling as to why time was neutralised on yesterday’s stage, but not points. Were only GC riders affected?

speckledbob
    Free Member

Real shame for Kadri.

rOcKeTdOg

Gilbert still there, like to see him battle Sagan for the stage

RealMan
    Free Member

Just got back from riding, don’t really have a clue what is going on, but saw Froome attack…

tinribz
    Free Member

that dog, ffs.

leffeboy

How fabulous was that ending 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

That was a fantastic win..

tinribz
    Free Member

Perfect timing.

mugsys_m8

enorme!!!!!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 2 – Expect Some Real Damage [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.