Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • TDF Stage 19 – SPOILER!!
  • tankslapper
    Free Member

I think he's 25 points back – green jersey gone. But come on 5 stage wins , 9 in total he's the highest ever British stage winner in tdf! Gents, we've just witnessed a little bit of history *sheds a small tear….sniff!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

great stuff. that one really hurt him and his post win interview was definitely the meekest yet

mrmo
    Free Member

25 points, unless hushvod crashes out it should be too much. Maybe it'll teach him to keep his mouth shut?

gnarlynath
    Free Member

That is the best news I've had all day – terrrrrrific result and to pull that off after that climb is just great. I'm off to ride a hill and sprint 300 meters in his honour.

Smee
    Free Member

Not sure I'd describe it as meek, humble would be more apt.

tankslapper
    Free Member

michael – most sprinters seem to be screaming girly prima donas don't you think?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

goes with the job

tankslapper
    Free Member

Gotta be said – that was my favourite Cav win (Team Columbia HTC)

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yup, completely un-expected as well. i was about to go shopping but thought i'll just catch the last 10km (i'd not bothered watching it in the office) and lo and behold theres the Columbia Train in action 😀

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

almost makes up for the complete let down in Beijing

tankslapper
    Free Member

that fromsport link is rather good – Ozzie?

oldgit
    Free Member

Shame the official killed the green jersey competition days ago.

uplink
    Free Member

Shame the official killed the green jersey competition days ago.

I subscribe to the opinion the Columbia HTC killed it off

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

hmm armstong got another 4 sec on wiggo

was that as a result of that last roundabout?

it was cav that killed it not the officials, a learning experience i hope

oldgit
    Free Member

'I subscribe to the opinion the Columbia HTC killed it off'

Well there is that arguement 😐

BigJohn

I like the way one of the riders bunny hopped first onto then off the roundabout and made up places. I can't tell if it was deliberate or he drifted wide, but it was impressive about 2k from the end.

Oh, and Cav wasn't the let-down in Beijing. Wiggo had been over-used and couldn't keep up in the Madison.

tails
    Free Member

i don't really follow road riding but a quick look at the results seems a bit unfair that you can win 5 races and the competitor wins 1 yet he wins the competition. surely there should be a bigger emphasis on winning such as in football.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

BigJohn – both a let down, both looked dog tired and in my eyes cav looked worse off.

AndyP
    Free Member

what mmw said. Cav was equally ****, only Wiggins didn't start pointing the finger.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

cav had time to recover for his ONE event. In fairness i think too much was asked of him last year by BC, he clearly didn't want to be there.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

plus wiggo did a yeti impression for his official photo:

AND he got arrested for jumping over car bonnets 😆

sq225917
    Free Member

Cav was robbed of the points the other day, he just held his line ti was the barriers that closed up on Thor not Cav, watch the helicoptor footage.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

if you look at the way cav moves and where he is looking it is clear to me (and obviously to the officials) that he shut Thor off not necessarily to win the sprint, he could have just ridden up the road like he normally does, but to slow the whole lot down.

Either way he's young and i'm sure there are plenty of green jerseys for him to come 🙂

tankslapper
    Free Member

I take Phil Liggets' point on this one – Cav transgressed, there was no doubt in that, but to rob him of all points was disgraceful IMHO

tails
    Free Member

even if ya lad did cut him off, its a race any tactics short of booting the opponent off there bike should be game. is the tour run by UCI? also why the **** does such a small sport cycling seem to have the worst organisers. The UCI should do one and let say red bull take over, they always put on a good show.

lister-hooded
    Free Member

Another AWESOME day from Columbia HTC,

Finished off in fine fashion by CAV.

In answer to some peeps on here … I just wish I was as rubbish as Cav at riding a bike up a hill 😉

lister-hooded
    Free Member

P.S

I may be wrong but don't

ASO

run Le Tour not the UCI ?

anagallis_arvensis

almost makes up for the complete let down in Beijing
    [/quote

That is so wrong its almost comical.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

please do explain

tails
    Free Member

P.S

I may be wrong but don't

ASO

run Le Tour not the UCI ?

yeah your probably right but they seem equally as inept as UCI. Anyone read about the fiasco over in US nationals? Any official cycling body seems unable to do a proper job.

apidya
    Free Member

sq225917
    Cav was robbed of the points the other day, he just held his line ti was the barriers that closed up on Thor not Cav, watch the helicoptor footage.

tails
    even if ya lad did cut him off, its a race any tactics short of booting the opponent off there bike should be game.

While I agree that I think Cav held his line and it was bad barrier design (covering road furniture?) that didn't help matters. I think the point of the UCI rules are to try and avoid things like the Abdoujaparov crash in 1991 (skip to 1:20 if you're hurried):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nt4x3nuzfQ

When the lead guys came through 5 mins before the bunch (Hincapie etc.) I saw the barriers and thought it was a fairly rubbish idea.

That said, there are plenty of other UCI rules that are crazy, and I think at at worst Cav and Thor's placings should have been reversed. That would have kept the competition alive rather that effectively killing it there and then.

anagallis_arvensis

please do explain

Track riding is a snall niche of a much bigger sport, any cyclist would want a tour stage rather than an olympic track medal. As for Cva's achievements well melan san remo all those tour stages… its no contest. Cav was pissed off as he sacrificed tour stages and potential Paris win in order to ride the olympics (a much smaller event in cycling) out of loyalty to British Cycling and they **** him over by not giving him a fresh partner.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

so in what way does that not make his performance a let down?

we'd been led to believe that he was the all conquering sprinter (not least by him) and what we got was a disinterested dog tired looking performance.

I felt let down, the cyclists i was with felt let down, and the other British fans i was sat with trackside felt let down. Of course we had other things to celebrate 😀

crikey
    Free Member

Yeh, Cavendish could have got that lucrative Bran Flakes advert….

uplink
    Free Member

The Bran Flake brand has been devalued now 😉

tankslapper
    Free Member

This just in on twatter!

lancearmstrong"Surprise" antidoping control here @ the hotel. #11 for this Tour. I'll consider it my appetizer b4 dinner.

This is taking the p**s surely? 🙄

uplink
    Free Member

This is taking the p**s surely?

into a little vial I think 😉

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Nope Cav reckons he got tested in excess of 60 odd times last year! Now that is pretty stringent testing and good IME.

anagallis_arvensis

so in what way does that not make his performance a let down?

Thats not what you said "it almost makes up for the let down" which is bollocks it exceeds it by miles.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘TDF Stage 19 – SPOILER!!’ is closed to new replies.