Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • TdF stage 19 (spoiler)
  • 69er
    Free Member

Alberto Contadors reaction to his 'win' says it all. He is forever tainted. You let the road decide, not see your sole opponent get into mechanical difficulty and hare off.

The reaction of the crowd also spoke volumes. The TT today would have been the most exciting finish in history if he had done the decent thing. Contador robbed us of that, the same as he robbed Schleck. I hope he's happy.

Chapeau Andy, great tour.

mogrim

Time they scrapped this etiquette crap, one thing is headbutting an opponent, another thing altogether what happened with Schleck and Contador. It's not like it's always been this way, 40 years ago it certainly wasn't. Chain fell off, tough. A spectator brings you down, tough. It's a race, FFS.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Sigh.

headfirst
    Free Member

This thread reminds of the jeremy vine show on radio 2: "get me the most opinionated least informed person now!"

Junkyard
    Free Member

I'm still trying to work out how you can be attacking and looking over your shoulder at the same time. He did slow down and wait for Schleck to get running again. He stopped the attack. More of this is being made than should, IMHO, of course.

we were watching different races he cycles past during the incident as Shleck was attacking him to wait means to either sit up[pedal slowish] or stop and wait till he regrains the group then start racing again Again we were watching a different race if you think this occured.
    nic he was not changing gear his chain slipped like syaing he ought to avoid getting a puncture.
    Think of it as kicking the ball out when a player is injured in footy and then the team getting the ball back. You could play on but it is not considered sporting to do so though nothing in the rules precludes this or requires you to kick the ball out.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I know that the rear disc wheels on the TT bikes have less drag once up to speed, so why don't they use one on the front as well? Is it to limit the effects of any crosswinds?

Edric64
    Free Member

I think they may be banned they are in British tts.Even wheels like spinergys are crap in a side wind

donsimon
    Free Member

we were watching different races he cycles past during the incident as Shleck was attacking him to wait means to either sit up[pedal slowish] or stop and wait till he regrains the group then start racing again Again we were watching a different race if you think this occured.

As I look at the video again I see that Contador passes Schleck as something happens. Schleck has attacked and Contador is slow to react. As Contador arrives and passes, Schleck has slowed down but not stopped. Foot slipped out of the pedal? Chain slipped? But nothing to warrant stopping and waiting. Also he was in n ar5eup head down attack, did he see?

A couple of seconds later Contador is looking over his shoulder. Attack over.

This obviously is going to run and run. Taking the football analogy, people still consider Arsenal to be a good team, don't they?

hora
    Free Member

Wonder when he'll be caught (if ever) over his doping. Spanish authorities have sat on that one haven't they?

Saying that they are all smackheads. Then when they are caught they whine and bleat or write for a newspaper/books and claim to be holier than though.

the-muffin-man

I'm curious as to why they don't 'race' on the last day? 39 seconds is probably too much to claw back on a flat 100km stage, but if it was only 8 or 10 seconds then surely it would be worth risking a well planned attack to try and win overall.

Or is there another unwritten rule that says whoever leads before the final stage wins regardless?

clubber
    Free Member

Pretty much but really it's just not practical. You can't break away from the bunch on a flat stage without being caught if they don't want you to get away.

Contador apologised for his attack after Schleck's mechanical and said it wasn't right. That counts for infinitely more than a load of poorly informed mtbers' opinions.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A couple of seconds later Contador is looking over his shoulder. Attack over.

he did wellto gain 39s without attacking and while being chased 🙄

hora
    Free Member

…and people complain about team orders in F1.

and said it wasn't right

Didn't seem him drop himself back 30seconds the next day though to undo the wrong. Only the boo'ing sunk in eventually.

theotherjonv

Can I end this now.

There is an etiquette in road racing and that is to not attack the race leader when he has mechanicals, crashed, etc. YOU may not like it or agree with it but that's the fact.

Contador attacked when he should't have. He's admitted it through his apology. That's another fact.

Scleck was originally pissed off but he's now moved on and forgiven. Christ, any more man-loving up the Tourmalet and they'd have needed a mattress in the broom wagon. It might still rankle inside but he has accepted his fate now, and has even suggested that continuing to boo Contador disrespects the race.

All that said; if he can let it lie why now can't the rest of us?

And I really wanted him to tear Bertie a new arsehole on Thursday too, but he couldn't, so that's that.

hora
    Free Member

Key: Contador disrespected the yellow jersey? The wearer is immaterial.

igm

don simon – As I look at the video again I see that Contador passes Schleck as something happens. Schleck has attacked and Contador is slow to react. As Contador arrives and passes, Schleck has slowed down but not stopped.

I think you mean Vinokourov – Contador is a bit further back.

anc
    Free Member

Its all very well using the etiquette card when its in you favour, but Andy and Co didn't wait for Chavanel when he had 2 punctures on the pave did they… oh and let's remember AS didn't have a mechanical he just fluffed a gear change and actually lost the majority of the time on the descent. Nearly every single ex-pro has come out and said what happened that day is fine including AS's team manager Mr 60% himself :mrgreen:

cynic-al
    Free Member

Crashes and bunch splits in the early stages of the race are entirly diferently and if you can't see why you should give up now.

myheadsashed

What nobodys mentioned is how close Menchov and Sanchez would have been if Contador would have stopped – dislike Contador but he could have throw the tour away at that point.

Also Schlecks teams antics have cost Hushovd the green jersey.

Schecks time over Contador was gained after Contador crashed.

I hope Scheck wins next year though after that TT

The RTTC state wheels must have an open area of 45% (I think) this is to do with wind effect and getting blow into traffic/handling

hels
    Free Member

So, what would happen if two riders did have the very same finish time, to the second, it could happen with a TT as the 2nd last stage ? Do they go to hundredths of seconds ? That might make the Commissaires' jobs on the Champs Elysees a bit interesting.

anc
    Free Member

Whatever cynic-al

clubber
    Free Member

Hels. It'd go down to 100th on the tts. All riders in a group get the same time on road stages like today.

hora
    Free Member

Girlfriend: Tour de France Looks really dull/boring
    Me: Its partly down to the politics/team tactics/saving energy in reserve etc etc.
    Girlfriend: So its about fixing results and its not really a sport?
    Me: Hmmmm.

Notice how Frenchmen were winning this year?

hels
    Free Member

Hi – yes thanks for that clubber – I know they get the same time in a bunch finish not a total amateur !! BUT if there was enough of a split in the bunch today (and they don't all get the same time) e.g. even one second and somebody was on the wrong side of it ? Wouldn't want to call/judge that time split. And it was only hundredths of seconds between them ? I am sure the ASO will find a rule for that.

The French press are claiming that their riders are doing better as the drugs are being phased out of the sport, and their riders are clean.

clubber
    Free Member

Road stages are timed to the nearest second iirc so it's pretty easy to judge. As I said, effectively the tts would decide it if they were tied on time otherwise and so any split in the peloton would make the difference. And splits tend to be at least 3 seconds unless the riders come in one by one which is unlikely on the last stage.

clubber
    Free Member

And on the doping front, Vaughters twittered this link

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2010/07/power-from-tourmalet-6wkg-anyone.html

MartinGT
    Free Member

igm – Member
    don simon – As I look at the video again I see that Contador passes Schleck as something happens. Schleck has attacked and Contador is slow to react. As Contador arrives and passes, Schleck has slowed down but not stopped.

Ive spoken to a lot of people and they all say it was Contador. It shows how many none cycling fans have been taken on by this amazing Tour.

It was Vino that was first to react and thats why it was a harder pill to swallow when Contador said he didnt know he had a problem, even though he had a good look at it.

Now, its passed, Contador has won. I have no doubt Schleck will win the yellow multiple times in the future.

theotherjonv

That's an interesting link, and gives me a lot of heart. In every sphere of sport people are getting faster, jumping higher…., etc. But here riders are on better equipment and yet are 5-10% slower / lower power than their equivalents from 10 and 20 years ago…..

Does make you wonder.

donsimon
    Free Member

I meant the second Astana rider who went charging past, if that was Vino then forgive me.

Junkyard
    Free Member

A couple of seconds later Contador is looking over his shoulder. Attack over

yes we watched a different race Schlecks rear wheel literally comes off the ground and to end the attack means to stop and let Schleck regain the group. Given contador gained 39 secs and schleck never re-joined the group I have no idea why you say what you say.
    He may have not realised this – I dispute this BTW -but I think we can be certain he was told via the radio in his ear.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘TdF stage 19 (spoiler)’ is closed to new replies.