Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • TdF Stage 18 – A Launch Pad [Spoilers]
  • RealMan
    Free Member

At 145.5 km, this stage is also quite short. Compared with the previous one, riders will probably see it as an opportunity to catch their breath. True, the elimination time will be more generous. Yet they would do well not to underestimate the stage. First of all, they will have to climb the Col du Tourmalet, always a challenge. Next up, the final climb up Hautacam, which has earned a hallowed place in the history of the Tour. We hope the Tourmalet is used as a launch pad for attacks and does not go to waste. If so, pretenders to a podium spot or even the overall win could use it to claw back some time.

Great riding from all, especially Pinot, Majka, and of course, Nibali. Fantastic racing, was quite interesting to see Valverde yoyo off the back and then finish ahead of Pinot.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjJ6heif33M[/video]

What a rider for the future.

Photos from stage 17.

Well today’s the day for Peraud – can he continue to perform so well? If so, it will be a good day for him. The final really important stage for Nibali, once he’s through today, he just has to stay on his bike (and not suck horrendously in the TT). I’d personally like to see Nibali and Majka hit the climb together, drop everyone else, and battle it out for the stage win.

A few useful links

Live Cycling News Text Updates
    Steephill
    Official Tour Live Feed App
    Classifications
    Withdrawals
    Fantasy League Standings
    Loser League Standings

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brailsford-hints-that-froome-could-ride-the-vuelta-a-espana

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali-in-a-race-of-his-own-at-the-tour-de-francecan say that again

http://road.cc/content/news/124730-michael-albasini-insists-he%E2%80%99s-not-racist-apologises-europcar%E2%80%99s-k%C3%A9vin-r%C3%A9zareally hoping this isn’t true

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcvgGnMFcT8[/video]

P.S. sorry it was a bit late today!

Chew
    Free Member

P.S. sorry it was a bit late today!

Don’t worry. These threads are ace, so a big thanks for going through the effort to post them 😀

Tom-B
    Free Member

What is the crack with the guy bringing the OGE rider down?! wtf is he doing in the middle of the bunch ffs!

RealMan
    Free Member

What is the crack with the guy bringing the OGE rider down?! wtf is he doing in the middle of the bunch ffs!

Handing bottles to movistar, couldn’t get out of the way in time I guess? Handing out bottles is actually a pretty tricky job, just made a mistake I guess. The OGE rider talks about it in backstage pass video up there ^.

RealMan
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cycling/28445685

This article deserves a read too, Bradley Wiggins on wishing he’d never won the tour.

atlaz
    Free Member

I forgot Orica had re-hired Matt White. Oh, and Julian Dean the man who didn’t see any doping at US Postal. Makes me think a little less of them. Interesting how the MPCC doesn’t have any stipulations on suspending team staff involved in doping. I guess that’d eliminate some of their teams.

soobalias
    Free Member

gotta be my two favourite climbs, the ones that really mean the TdF to me.
    i would even be tempted into lycra to ride them myself one day.

best skive off early today to watch some.

RealMan
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOcu-mN3mCE[/video]

blanklook

^^^seat belt under the arm-pit…Cav did not look too comfortable…been there…
    These are great updates – thks RealMan

mrblobby
    Free Member

I do like the way Rui Costa says aerodynamics. Makes me smile every time I hear it 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

The UCI works in mysterious ways: After Majka’s moto slingshot and several winks, UCI bans all winking inside final 10km of mountain stages.

😉

wonnyj
    Free Member

Valverde is flying!

RealMan
    Free Member

Potentially a very very good move..

crazy-legs

That descent off the Tourmalet looks good, Valverde is properly caning it!

I won a place on this year’s Etape du Tour which used that stage – unfortunately work commitments and the very short notice meant I couldn’t take it. 🙁 However I cheered up a lot when I discovered that the Etape was run off in mostly heavy rain and people were having to stop on the descent as they couldn’t feel their hands in the cold…

rusty90
    Free Member

I do like the way Rui Costa says aerodynamics.

More steeefness 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Can anyone deny Nibali if he wants the stage win? Looks like he wants it.

andyfla
    Free Member

Etape was run off in mostly heavy rain and people were having to stop on the descent as they couldn’t feel their hands in the cold…

Bloody wimps – did the same etape back in 08 – 4 degrees on the top, wondered if people had looked at the weather forecast – me in my winter kit nice and toast warm, 98% of the rest in shirt and shorts & bloody cold.

2 most impressive things were the guy who rode 150K with no seat as it broke and the frenchman with a bottle of wine and baguette in his back pocket.

llama

oh go on vincenzo, let someone else have a go

llama

he actually looks like he is putting in some effort there

rusty90
    Free Member

He’s flying ! Bye bye Nieve 😥

llama

the speed he went past nieve!

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s like watching lance.

mudshark
    Free Member

Bloody wimps

Odd comment. Maybe they didn’t plan properly – though I’m told the forecast was for it to be a lot warmer than it was.

jambalaya
    Free Member

it’s like watching lance.

Hard to avoid those thoughts creeping in really 😥

TV isn’t even showing Nibali, they’ve decided GC doesn’t matter as it’s a done deal.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I’m avoiding them.

Go Pinot go…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Does look that way but the rest of the GC group are busy marking each other so a good time for Nibali to go.

wwaswas

No idea how to make this work but phone idiot gif here;

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/BtUWAJXCcAAn__4.mp4

mrblobby
    Free Member

Good to see Tejay back on form.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Back in the day, Bjarne Riis would have crossed the finish line by now 😆

atlaz
    Free Member

Really hope they’re about to ride Valverde off the podium. It’s unlikely but maybe they can get him off the 2nd step at least

chambord
    Free Member

C’mon Pinot

EDIT: Nice. Well done to Pinot great race

JCL
    Free Member

Congrats to Nibali.

I think he had a bad day on the Porte de Bales (as Lemond said) but he was flying today. Never seen him looking so thin.

The best GC rider in the race since stage 1.

I hope he wins Worlds.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well definitely sets it up nicely for the time trial. 15 seconds covering second, third and fourth. Wouldn’t discount Tejay or Mollema either if the other three get it wrong. Unfortunately I suspect Valverde will grab second, Peraud probably third, with Pinot missing out.

Stage tomorrow looks interesting. Probably one for the sprinters but it would be nice to see someone go on a raid on that last cat 4 with a nice run to the finish. Or could Cannondale blow the big sprinters out the back enough for Sagan to finally have his day?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

That’s a much better looking podium!

Imagine if Nibali had of been taken down by that daft bitch on her phone 😯 Seriously, why even bother going to the race.

I’m praying for wind tomorrow, some tasty crosswinds to mix it up before Paris!!

martinh
    Free Member

Everyone looked like it was hard work on the last climb. Everyone except Nibali. Does make you wonder, which is a shame ‘cos his ride over the cobbles was superb.

slackalice
    Free Member

His performances just make me think that he’s a man on top of his game. Well prepared and has peaked at exactly the right time. Together with his team, who have done an outstanding job for him on this tour, they are clearly, IMHO, head and shoulders above the rest with the exception of Saxo. Sky have crumbled and have been disappointing, their plan B was shakey at best, Porte always seems to have at least one bad day…

atlaz
    Free Member

head and shoulders above the rest with the exception of Saxo.

Saxo brought a couple of super domestiques with them who have done a great job. The rest of the team weren’t so sparkly partially down to earlier problems admittedly

jambalaya
    Free Member

Porte always seems to have at least one bad day…

He’s fifty minutes down, nearly an hour 🙁 all the talk of Sky’s number 2 man defending a podium place

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 18 – A Launch Pad [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.