Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 124 total)
  • TdF Stage 13 – The Final Hour [Spoilers]
  • Danny79
    Free Member

That was impressive from Nibali.

Lifer
    Free Member

I can’t wait until Wiggins retires. The only thing more boring than watching him on a bike is people talking about him in regards to a race he isn’t even riding.

jfletch
    Free Member

Porte is naturally a Wiggins style climber but without the mechanical advantage of having very long legs!

Porte naturally a good No2 as he can do that job of pacing up a climb but this year he has been a shit no2 and a shit no1. Just hasn’t got it.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Blooming hell is Greg LeMond still on his racing diet, calorie wise

rusty90
    Free Member

General classification after stage 13

1 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 56:44:03
    2 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:03:37
    3 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:04:24
    4 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ.fr 0:04:40
    5 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:05:19
    6 Jean-Christophe Péraud (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:06:06
    7 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling 0:06:17
    8 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto-Belisol 0:06:27
    9 Leopold Konig (Cze) Team Netapp-Endura 0:08:36
    10 Laurens Ten Dam (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling 0:09:18

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I totally appreciate the Sky issues but at least with JTL and Henao they were pro-active. Compare that with the way Saxo treated the Kiserlovski issue. You have assumed I think Sky are totally clean because they have fallen back this year. That may be the case or it may be that the issues you highlight have led them to refrain from any regimes they were using before one their big boys gets popped.

Or it could be that everyone has just followed what Sky started 3-4 years ago in terms of marginal gains etc.

You can only speculate as much as I can but there’s been a pretty large shift in the balance of power this year. Valverde for example is quoted as saying he’s climbing quicker than he did when he was doping. Does that not worry you a bit?

jambalaya
    Free Member

8:50 🙁 I wonder what the story/spin will be

jfletch
    Free Member

Porte loses 8.48 and G even caught him up on the final climb. Nieve might be able to win a stage and salvage things for Sky. Otherwise I can see them going home empty handed.

And just for Lifer… Maybe the should have bought Wiggins, not for the win but to give them a chance of a consolation prize in the TT (although Martin looks awesome for that)

Lifer
    Free Member

Was definitely asking for that 🙂

But yeah Das Tony is much more fun.

jfletch
    Free Member

I totally appreciate the Sky issues but at least with JTL and Henao they were pro-active

Ehh? JTL was shit for a year so they didn’t pick him and then he got banned.

You can only speculate as much as I can but there’s been a pretty large shift in the balance of power this year. Valverde for example is quoted as saying he’s climbing quicker than he did when he was doping. Does that not worry you a bit?

I don’t really like Valverde and I don’t trust unrepentant dopers, but Movistar have famously taken a lot of the marginal gains philosphy from Sky and applied it in a more budget friendly way. And to accuse him of doping because he is fast would be hypocritical since I and many others last year were saying that Froome being fast and showing huge improvement since his first days at Sky wasn’t eveidence of doping.

And the shift in power hasn’t been from Sky to a single other team, it’s been from Sky to everyone else. Sky have dropped further than others have climbed.

AlexSimon

How can you say Sky have dropped in performance generally when their Plan A, B and C was Froome.
    We just don’t have the evidence.

However today marked the point where my particular threshold for ex-dopers and dodgy teams was exceeded and I don’t think I’ll watch any more. I have no enjoyment watching people who I don’t trust.

llama

nibbles could be on for the KOM jersey as well at this rate

JCL
    Free Member

With the couple of minutes he had I don’t Froome or Contador could have beaten Nibali. He’d have easily been able to hang on. He’s nearly in as good form as Worlds last year which he would have won on one leg without that crash.

He did that massive training block then went to Dauphine spent, had a week off and boom.

lunge

See, this talking of doping is a tad confusing. If Nibbles was destroying Bertie and Froome (the other 2 favourites before the tour started) then I think more questions were to be asked but he’s not. He’s blowing away the Sky #2, an ageing ex-doper and 2 French guys who’ve not performed brilliantly to date.

Porte has not had a great season and was never going to be a top 3 rider, much as I would like him to be. Saying that, Wiggo would have done no better IMO.

I would like to see Sky go after some stages wins with Nieve and G for the rest of the race, maybe cause a bit of havoc in a Garmin style.

mattjg
    Free Member

However today marked the point where my particular threshold for ex-dopers and dodgy teams was exceeded and I don’t think I’ll watch any more. I have no enjoyment watching people who I don’t trust.

I feel a bit this way too, the trust is gone, especially in someone riding exceptionally compared to the competition, but for a team that has employed ‘ex’ dopers in management and riding roles.

If I was proud of riding clean, I’d pick a different team.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Y’all not thought about taking your speculations and drug chats elsewhere ?

You might want to cos this is spoiling a thread about TdF stages 2014.

speckledbob
    Free Member

Well I’m pissed off. Everything today has put me back. Spent most of the day on the phone to customers who seem to just want to chat. So I’ve been behind all day. Needed to ride my bike this afternoon because I cant tomorrow. No problem, I’ll rewind on eurosport player when I get back. But no. It wasnt having it. I managed to see Nibali cross the line and ruined it for myself. And now they’re all dopers again.

So nothing important happened right?

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Perhaps I am niaeve but I am enjoying the way Nibali is riding, so much so i am watching the highlights having watched it live. He is earning his (probable) victory.

jfletch
    Free Member

Oh FFS.

Did you watch last year after Froome destroyed everyone on Ventoux?

crazy-legs

In many ways, this is Lance’s legacy. While personally I actually have no problem with LA (I mean we all enjoyed watching those 7 years), I think it’s lead to a prolonged period of mistrust where pretty much any performance is ranked and rated and endlessly speculated on.
    A good performance is held up as some sort of “proof” of clever doping, a bad one is speculated on that he hasn’t had his usual drugs that day. Talk about a lose-lose situation, that’s awfully negative… 🙁

Missed most of today, just watching it on ITV4 highlights now. The Ned Boulting / Chris Boardman double act is superb, they really need to do a DVD compilation of the whole 3 weeks of them. 🙂

And while they’re doing that, they need to take Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen out and shoot them.

Nibali is destroying this one – what do you reckon the odds are on him winning both yellow and polka dot?

RealMan
    Free Member

I can’t wait until Wiggins retires. The only thing more boring than watching him on a bike is people talking about him in regards to a race he isn’t even riding.

😀

In many ways, this is Lance’s legacy…..

It’s like Godwin’s Law, but with Armstrong instead.

Very gutted to see Porte have a day like that, but he is known to have bad days now and then. Huge shame. It’s hard to imagine anyone beating Nibali at the moment, unless something catastrophic happens.

hooja
    Free Member

Perhaps I am niaeve but I am enjoying the way Nibali is riding, so much so i am watching the highlights having watched it live. He is earning his (probable) victory.

+1
    Enough of all the nay saying about Wiggins this, Froome that, drug speculation the other….. Today, there was some bloody spectacular riding, in an amazing setting, whats not to love?

eddie11
    Free Member

Chapeau nibali
    Goodbye Ritchie
    Valverde rises to the top like a turd that won’t flush 😕

mattjg
    Free Member

Valverde rises to the top like a turd that won’t flush

common problem of yours?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’ve some doubts over Nibali – not so long ago he was riding like he was carrying a hod full of bricks….now he’s blowing people away & making it look easy…….

mudshark
    Free Member

I’m suspicious of anyone who’s got him in their fantasy team. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

he is he only decent one i have so dont be 😉

slowoldman

What is a decent gap between a rider and the rest so he doesn’t get accused of doping?

mefty
    Free Member

In 2012 with a course that was less favorable to Nibali’s characteristics he was four minutes ahead of his nearest rivals, the two people who beat him are not in the race. It is hardly a huge surprise that he is stronger than the rest of the remaining field – Contador against him with three minutes to make up was set up to be potentially the perfect race, but it was not to be.

Lifer
    Free Member

mrlebowski – Member
    I’ve some doubts over Nibali – not so long ago he was riding like he was carrying a hod full of bricks….now he’s blowing people away & making it look easy…….

When?

jfletch
    Free Member

In 2012 with a course that was less favorable to Nibali’s characteristics he was four minutes ahead of his nearest rivals, the two people who beat him are not in the race. It is hardly a huge surprise that he is stronger than the rest of the remaining field – Contador against him with three minutes to make up was set up to be potentially the perfect race, but it was not to be.

This.

Arguing that Nibali is suspicious because he is winning is ridiculous anyway but it’s even more so because his performance is not that remarkable.

On the final climb today there was quite a large group for a long time, the only notable person to get dropped early was Porte. And in the last few kms Nibali only beat Konig and Majka by 10s. His estimated power output was under 6 w/kg. Not only is that very believable but he would have been destroyed by Froome in Ventoux form from last year.

So if you are going to be suspicious due to performance, which is spurious anyway, at least understand what you are watching to understand if the performance is actually remarkable.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

This.

Arguing that Nibali is suspicious because he is winning is ridiculous anyway but it’s even more so because his performance is not that remarkable.

On the final climb today there was quite a large group for a long time, the only notable person to get dropped early was Porte. And in the last few kms Nibali only beat Konig and Majka by 10s. His estimated power output was under 6 w/kg. Not only is that very believable but he would have been destroyed by Froome in Ventoux form from last year.

So if you are going to be suspicious due to performance, which is spurious anyway, at least understand what you are watching to understand if the performance is actually remarkable.

My suspicion comes from the fact that he dropped the others & made it look easy, when not so long ago he was riding so badly even his team were questioning him.

The turn around in form must raise some questions at least. Its not his performance as such but his apparent increase in performance over a short time.

When?

I have to admit I can’t remember exactly where I heard it but I think it was Phil Liggett on the commentary..

rusty90
    Free Member

not so long ago he was riding so badly even his team were questioning him.

What, like last year when he won Giro d’Italia, Tirreno–Adriatico and Giro del Trentino, and came second in Vuelta a España ?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

What, like last year when he won Giro d’Italia, Tirreno–Adriatico and Giro del Trentino, and came second in Vuelta a España ?

It wasn’t me who said the team questioned him but Phil Liggett, now he maybe wrong but I’ve no reason to disbelief him either..

I am only remarking on what I heard.

mudshark
    Free Member

He wasn’t looking good in the Dauphine which is usually the big indicator of who’ll be going well in the Tour.

Junkyard
    Free Member

ARMSTRONG I HATE YOU

I doubt he is doping and as others not e it is not remarkable and two others would probably be faster were they fit

Secondly he has won the Vueleta you do not do that if you cannot climb

third every year same claims unless Wiggo wins it

mrlebowski
    Free Member

He wasn’t looking good in the Dauphine which is usually the big indicator of who’ll be going well in the Tour.

Perhaps this was what PL was referring to?

ARMSTRONG I HATE YOU

+1.

I doubt he is doping and as others not e it is not remarkable and two others would probably be faster were they fit

I really, really hope you’re right – I love the Tour & well, I want it clean. Cycling is my life & the Tour is the pinnacle of our sport. I don’t want my heroes to be fakes….

timb34
    Free Member

Compared to last year, Nibali hasn’t won as much so far. But he has been concentrating on the tour and went off for big blocks of altitude training on Tenerife. It’s the same kind of approach as Wiggins in 2012 – live like a monk and be 100% focussed on one objective. He’s got that same kind of imperious calmness on the road as Wiggins showed then (and in the ATOC this year). Sounds like he’s like that behind the scenes as well though (unlike Wiggins…)

Earlier in the year there was a report that he had recieved a letter from Astana management (Vino) basically bollocking him for not winning races.

This was later re-reported as an e-mail from Vino to the whole team reminding them that their position in the team rankings wasn’t very good and that they should try harder!

Nibali has been putting everything on this one race for a long time, probably since the day after the Giro finished last year. It’s a risky strategy, as one crash can leave a contender with nothing to show for the season, but it’s paying off for him so far. No-one seems to be within reach of him, and its hard to see him not becoming the sixth cyclist to win all three Grand Tours. (unless he cracks today, obviously)

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Earlier in the year there was a report that he had recieved a letter from Astana management (Vino) basically bollocking him for not winning races.

This was later re-reported as an e-mail from Vino to the whole team reminding them that their position in the team rankings wasn’t very good and that they should try harder!

More clarification. Thank you timb34.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Why is anyone concerned with Porte ? He’s an Aussie!

I was pleased to see Vincenzo blow him away yesterday and prove that talk is cheap.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 13 – The Final Hour [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.