• This topic has 360 replies, 83 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kudos.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 361 total)
  • TdF Stage 10 – Spectacular Fireworks [Spoilers]
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Another famous stage, this time to La Planche des Belles Filles, where Chris Froome took his maiden stage win at the Tour in 2012. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, so we are going for a short but challenging stage again! Spectacular fireworks await, with a sequence of seven mountains over 130 kilometres, including the Col des Chevrères (with sections hitting up to 15%) and the final climb up La Planche des Belles Filles (with a 20% gradient on the last ramp), which will feature in the Tour for the second time. By the time we cross the finish line, I cannot say whether we will know the name of the winner in Paris, but we should have a list of those who are out of the running for good.

Well that was the calm before the storm I guess, roll on today.. Fantastic effort from Martin, really really great to see him take a win.

Not bad from Gallopin. Not bad at all…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VjKq-O06Vs[/video]

If there’s one man who knows how to suffer…

Photos from stage 9.

Break will get away, but possibly get caught on the final climb. Contador to lay down the beef. I think possibly Nibali back in yellow at the end of the day. Pinot should be one to watch as well. Check out the finish, it’s a nasty one. Remember, rest day tomorrow!

A few useful links

Live Cycling News Text Updates
    Steephill
    Official Tour Live Feed App
    Classifications
    Withdrawals
    Fantasy League Standings
    Loser League Standings

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-shorts-paolinis-communication-malfunctionHe was probably on STW… (especially with that beard)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tour-de-france-tech-tour-teams-embrace-aero-lidsto much dismay from fans who don’t like how they look

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/porte-ready-for-his-big-day-at-the-tour-de-franceyeah he is…

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/martin-shows-off-merckxian-move-in-stage-9-victoryobviously the most important win for Germany this year

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2e0JpPdjGU[/video]

Good videos from Shimano.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ad2o0J8MwU[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcz5JDBl7Dw[/video]

It’s not TdF but it’s still a great result from our national champion, top of GC from day one.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-of-austria-2014-1/stage-8/results

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well after sitting up till the end last night hoping for some kind of fun and games on the last climb I’m giving them another go tonight. Day before a rest day, lots to play for. I’m expecting somebody to drop some serious time today and a few to make a bit up. Not sure how the breakaway guys will fair after those exploits yesterday and I wouldn’t be too surprised to see Nibali back in yellow at the end of the day, it would take something spectacular for one of the others to bridge the time gaps I reckon.

I cannot say whether we will know the name of the winner in Paris, but we should have a list of those who are out of the running for good.

Sums up my thoughts really. Today is not the day to have a bad day….

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Today should be brilliant, i think we’ll see Nibali, Contador and Porte all showing they’re likely to be on the final podium.

mrhoppy

Want to see J-Rod do something today. He’s floated around at the back, shelling time to pretty much everyone. Showed some signs of his previous for yesterday but it ultimately came not too much.

mogrim

Looking forward to today’s stage, hoping Contador will start attacking…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Purito is supposedly targeting the polkadot jersey, so probably will be looking for an early break to mop up the mountain points.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not bad from Gallopin. Not bad at all…

Chapeau 🙂

leffeboy

love the Jensie video posted above (www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcz5JDBl7Dw)

llama

last km at 20%!

if Contador can’t get time then you can count him out

RealMan
    Free Member

love the Jensie video posted above

Yeah, it’s brilliant, so sad when he retires. Hope he stays involved – commentary?

if Contador can’t get time then you can count him out

Possibly not, he often holds his form towards the end of a tour much better than others.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s brilliant, so sad when he retires.

As much as I like Jens his line about doping (I never saw anyone do anything) does stretch belief a little.

speckledbob
    Free Member

Should be good today. Like normal i’ve got far too much to do to sit around watching bike races so thats me behind with work again. I wonder about Peurito. He did stretch his legs yesterday but i’d still question his form at this stage. But he’s obviously feeling more comfortable.

Peirre Rolland got some time back yesterday and I think he should be up in this one. Valverde has been keeping a low profile but I think the day looks good for Contador and hopefully Porte not too far away.

he often holds his form towards the end of a tour much better than others.

Yes. He’s also often fairly good after rest days.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s because of his healthy diet.

peteimpreza

“Yes. He’s also often fairly good after rest days.”

Especially when his personal “butcher” pays him a visit.

faustus

Looks like a great stage, and can’t wait to see how the GC riders get on. I expect Contador to attack, but not sure if he will gain time on Nibali. I also think Porte will stick to Nibali rather than gain any time on him…

tonyg2003

Bastille day today. Expect the French to tear themselves inside out to win and for Gallopin to stay in yellow. Should be a good finish.

buck53

Is Paolini wearing a Giro Air Attack in that picture in the OP?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is Paolini wearing a Giro Air Attack in that picture in the OP?

Sure is. Of the aero helmets I’m liking the Belkin Bell ones best so far, just going by aesthetics!

buck53

Sure is. Of the aero helmets I’m liking the Belkin Bell ones best so far, just going by aesthetics!

I actually thought it was a POC piss pot or something at first! Thought it would look cool in non-team colours as a ‘casual’ lid, then saw the price…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Tony Gallopin’s girlfriend would kick our arses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Rousse

She won the French national road race title in 2012.

8)

France’s Jason Kenny and Laura Trott. As in more stylish and better looking 😀

chambord
    Free Member

Take that back. No one is more stylish or better looking than Laura Trott.

Lifer
    Free Member

😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

Google images shows otherwise! 😮

hels
    Free Member

Perhaps he can use some of his prize money to get that monobrow sorted.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

by way of evidence I offer the photos in my previous post and invite you to compare them to photos of Laura Trott. Or google image Marion Rousse. Oh, Lordy. One particular shoot stands out. Defence rests, yer honour. 😀

Back on topic (and apologies for lowering Realman’s hard work into the gutter) I will be watching the entire thing from start to finish, sometimes shiftwork has its advantages.

mrblobby
    Free Member

From the letour feed…

Every year on Bastille Day, the FDJ riders listened to the French national anthem La Marseillaise in their bus prior to the start. It happened again this morning

Expect some early heroics from the French!

rOcKeTdOg

Marion Rousse

I did a Google

Wowza

lemonysam
    Free Member

Astana putting a man in the break…

edit: Westra

edit2: Looks like that’s it:
    WESTRA L.
    VISCONTI G.
    MOINARD A.
    IRIZAR ARRANBURU M.
    VOECKLER T.
    GERARD A.
    RIBLON C.

mattjg
    Free Member

Yay Imlach/Boardman/Rendell doing ITV commentary. Intelligent, informed and low key. For now.

eightyeight
    Free Member

That Bubble Witch may well get a boot up the backside before this Tour is over….

Was going to mention the commentary, but they’ve just switched. Doh.

Lifer
    Free Member

eightyeight – Member

That Bubble Witch may well get a boot up the backside before this Tour is over.

Eh?

llama

astana planning something or keeping their options open?

eightyeight
    Free Member

Lifer – it’s an advert that is on EVERY SINGLE advert break on ITV4 for some smartphone game. Tis très annoying.

Looks like Sagan is going to go for the first points of the day.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Greipel looks like he’s flattening the road as he goes along!

Lifer
    Free Member

eightyeight – Member

Lifer – it’s an advert that is on EVERY SINGLE advert break on ITV4 for some smartphone game. Tis très annoying.

Ah, I see. Eurosport has awesome adverts, the Rui Costa one is my favourite.

mattjg
    Free Member

Was going to mention the commentary, but they’ve just switched. Doh.

Bah. Eurosport it is then for the rest of the race.

Are you listening, @itvcycling ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

That’s some seriously miserable weather. Going to be very cold on the descents today.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Weather looks grim. Descents will be tricky.

eightyeight
    Free Member

I’m watching it on the work PC (shhhhh….)

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m in a bit of a quandry about Ligget. For me he’s the voice of the Tour – has been for years – and that’s part of the annual TdF experience.

Unfortunately he’s increasingly become an old fool and even the Ligget-isms that I used to find funny just grate now. Not to mention that his support and more to the point defence of it for LA is a black mark that isn’t going to wash.

I find myself switching to Eurosport quite often, particularly when he points out that X used to be an mtber so will be a great descender which really annoys me these days. 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 361 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 10 – Spectacular Fireworks [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.