Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • TdF in Cambridge
  • BillMC

Weyhey! Just been invited by an esteemed member of that institution to go over on the Sunday for serious r and r and then out on Monday to see the cycling. Anybody have any suggestions for what might be a good vantage point? My pal’s house is near the station.

konagirl
    Free Member

They start at Parker’s Piece, which I expect to be heaving because it is the only place with a big screen. They’ll head up Regent Street, St Andrew’s Street, Sidney Street, turn left at the Round Church back down Trinity Street and King’s Parade and then onto Trumpington Street and Trumpington Road. They will only start racing proper along Trumpington Road. The city centre section is all pretty tight, the width of the pavements is mostly 2-3m, narrower in places. I would think along the north of Trumpington Road by the Botanic Gardens would give a good view, since you can stand on the railings whilst still being walkable from town / the station, but I expect a significant number of other people will be thinking the same! Otherwise you need to get there very early or be high up.

Note that the railway station will be the southern hub for local buses, the southern park and ride facilities and all coaches for the whole of Monday. Expect it to be a bit mad!

richmars

I’ll be going with my son, but if you want to see anything, watch on tv. We’re going just for the general atmosphere, I don’t think we’ll see much, and we live close enough to be able to cycle in.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    eskay

I’ll be going with my son

I hope you are not taking him out of school….!

I am marshaling so will probably see none of the race!

footflaps

I hope you are not taking him out of school…

All local school kids have the day off!

konagirl
    Free Member

we live close enough to be able to cycle in

Yep I’ll be riding in too. Still trying to decide where to (attempt to) park the bike!

richmars

All local school kids have the day off!

No. he’s finished school, just done his GCSE’s, so is lazying around.

slowjo
    Free Member

Going to ride out from Bury and find somewhere quiet along the route, possibly near Finchingfield.

letmetalktomark

Going to ride out from Bury and find somewhere quiet along the route, possibly near Finchingfield.

Was thinking doing something similar but lack of road bike would mean taking a mountainbike so possibly looking at driving somewhere close to Finchingfield and riding the last bit.

monkfish
    Free Member

Finchingfield looks favourite for me although it’s a 100 mile round trip, the alternative appears to be Cambridge rugby club.

tortoisenothair
    Free Member

Finchingfield would be a great place to watch from plenty of food & drink
    Plus an 18m TV screen.

tang
    Free Member

Parker Piece, where my school footie lessons were! Not been back for 30 years. Enjoy it everyone!

Klunk
    Free Member

probably catch them near Duxford then an afternoon potter around the museum.

jules.b
    Free Member

Working dammit…on the Tour de France….wont see a moment of it!

sbob
    Free Member

tang – Member

Parker Piece, where my school footie lessons were!

Which school?

footflaps

Which school?

Parkside Community College is the only school which uses Parkers Piece as a sports ground.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘TdF in Cambridge’ is closed to new replies.