Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • TDF coverage question (Technical, no spoilers)
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When watching the ITV4 coverage, the heli aerial shots look to me like an almost slomo replay. As if the image isn’t quite as good as the rest of the filming or something.

Is it just me, etc

stoffel
    Free Member

The cameras must use some sort of mechanical stabilisation to counter the vibration of the chopper, but maybe software ‘stabilisatin’ is also used. Iknow what you mean though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Its the translation from French to English picture. If you watch it in France the picture runs at normal speed.

Edit: I believe it looks even slower if you watch it in countries where they speak Portuguese.

Pook

I can only guess that they don’t wish to have the cameras the motorbike guys use strapped to the underside of a chopper so you get a slightly different image, which when watched on the captain’s HD mega telly looks proper ropey in comparison

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I did see the bike cameras shift when at extreme angles almost like a chromatic aberration of white ghosting. I was thinking this might have been the stabilisation reaching its max point and the image quality degrading.
    The slow motion might be a band width issue where a drop in signal rather than black screen buffers the footage to close the gap. Live tv isn’t actually live. It’s seconds late.

righog
    Free Member

Sorry Flashy I can’t even begin to answer your question. But The choppers looked very cool from Holme Moss.

What I would love to see in TDF coverage ( and I watch a LOT of it ) is data from each rider, it would not be too much of a hindrance if all the riders had telemetry pack. eg it would have been great today to see the speed power etc from Tony Martin compared with the chasers

scaredypants

it would have been great today to see the speed power etc from Tony Martin compared with the chasers

Can’t imagine the teams (or their doctors 😕 ) would allow that sort of stuff to go out

TdF always looks shit on Eurosport but really crisp on Eurosport HD (inc from the helicopters) – maybe the feed to ITV is a mixture or, err, something

craigxxl
    Free Member

It’s quite a complicated system to broadcast it with bikes and helicopters sending their images to overhead panes which then send it to trucks on the ground before bouncing back up to satellites and then all around the world to your TV. A bit of lag and the odd pixelated images is pretty good in the scheme of things.

More info here

Moses

As a follow-up question, is there anywhere I can see the complete Stage 7 again?
    (Actually, just the bit where they go through a particular village, but I’d have to scroll through the lot to find it)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘TDF coverage question (Technical, no spoilers)’ is closed to new replies.