Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • TBC Wednesday night ride – slot cars at the ready
  • coastkid
    Free Member

i always wonder why they dont have (small) information signs at watersheds…only walking books tell you these things,
    and why has Edinburgh area have so high a council tax when it has so much water on tap too? never knew there were so many resovoirs up there! 😮

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I fell off there once, trying my best Danny Mac impression. Was trackstanding thinking I was just going to do a rear wheel hop to straighten up and the hole just sucked me in. Went to put my foot down but there was nothing there. Managed to leap clear of the bike and landed foot first in the rock infested pool at the bottom, lucky not to break and ankle.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I don't think most of the reservoirs up in the Pentlands are used for drinking water.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

Some will no doubt complain about "trail sanitisation", but expect to see a new line appearing there soon(ish).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am fairly sure it does come from Glencourse – where do you think it comes from?

Edit – some further googling seems to say that much comes from Talla in teh borders. 😳

Glencourse still provides some

epicsteve
    Free Member

I thought most of the water from Edinburgh came from the reservoirs further south – Talla and Megget etc.

druidh
    Free Member

Talla (and the Megget/Fruid) flow into Glencorse (the inflow is just above the dam), from where it is fed into Edinburgh.

The observant might have noticed a big new water treatment works being built opposite the Flotterstone Inn – and a big new pipe from there to Mortonhall.

Anyone who has been on the Castle Esplanade might also have been told the myth of cannonball house – that a cannonball fired from the castle became embedded in the wall. Actually, the building with the ball in it is a water cistern and the ball is at the same elevation as Glencorse Reservoir – i.e. the highest point in Edinburgh to which water will flow by gravity.

druidh
    Free Member

Harlaw and Threipmuir were built as water compensation reservoirs for the mills on the Water of Leith – to ensure continuity of water flow. The current work being done on them is to do this in reverse – to act as temporary storage facilities for rainwater, ensuring that the water levels on the WoL do not suddenly rise and cause floods at Roseburn etc.

AntM
    Free Member

It's a right education on here! 🙂

MrKmkII
    Free Member

well that's just great. looks like i missed some great riding! i'm hoping for next week, assuming it's not a car drive away…

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘TBC Wednesday night ride – slot cars at the ready’ is closed to new replies.