Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Taxi reversed into my wife today (on foot) – what to do?
  • Legoman
    Free Member

So my wife was crossing the road outside St Pancras station today – it’s a 2 lane one-way street with a slip road exiting the taxi rank. Basically a black cab passed her standing at the side of the road, stopped and reversed into the slip road where she was standing, hitting her.

[/URL]].
    This is the road & she was standing roughly where the pavement ends in the middle of the photo, the cab came from the left and reversed into the slip road where the other cabs are waiting.

Thankfully she got away with a bruised leg and is understandably a bit shaken. The driver’s response was to open his window and inform her ‘it is a road you know!’

A lady passing went to her aid to make sure she was OK but unfortunately she didn’t ask for her details, although she did have the presence of mind to take a photo of the cab on her phone.

I’m livid, more about the guy’s attitude than the incident itself – we all make mistakes & if he’d jumped out, checked she was OK and apologised, that would be the end of it. But he didn’t. So it’s not.

So, question is, what to do next. Not sure plod will be interested without any independent witnesses. Any thoughts from the collective?

RoterStern
    Free Member

If the driver didn’t stop then it is classed as hit and run and I would think plod would be quite interested.

bearnecessities

No idea on advice on next steps, but sorry to hear fella and understand your frustration.

LeeW

Just because she was standing there doesn’t mean he can just drive in to her. Call the police, has she got any witnesses?

Hope she heals soon.

brooess
    Free Member

If you have the driver’s details, please report it and see where you get with it.
    I’m tired of hearing stories about people acting like bullies when they get behind the wheel, it’s cowardly…
    This driver needs to learn to care about other people a little more and having his collar felt may help him understand he needs to grow up a little!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’d be livid too!
    There may be CC TV footage of the area. Transport Police?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Professional driver so one expects better standards

you cannot run into a pedestrian then berate them for being in the road.
    You certainly cannot do this when going the wrong way either.

Report to plod he may have previous for this and he may lose his licence

martinhutch

Report to plod and the relevant taxi licensing authority.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Being outside St Pancras, I’d imagine there would be pretty extensive CCTV. I’d be going to the police. Just say your wife was a bit shaken and wasn’t thinking straight when she left the scene.

Legoman
    Free Member

Cheers for the good wishes.

Reckon a call to the police in the morning might be the way forward.

deluded
    Free Member

On the face of it, it’s pretty pi55 poor behaviour on the cabbies part.

Take a photo of the injury after the bruise has fully developed. Ask your wife to briefly commit to paper what happened giving just the salient details and description of driver. The written account will aid recollection if the cops require a statement later on down the line. I gather the photo taken on the m/p captures his VRM? Does this image depict any other potential witnesses, i.e. other cabbies in the rank (from their VRM’s) for instance? Report it to the police. The female witness may have reported the incident to them subsequently. Other witnesses that didn’t make themselves known to your wife may have done so, also. I imagine that location has CCTV coverage; whether it’s controlled by the local authority, train operator or one of the businesses along that strip of road.

Consider a phone call to the PCO – Public Carriage Office.

j4mie
    Free Member

Yup call the police as soon as you can. Must surely be CCTV there.

Legoman
    Free Member

deluded – PCO seem to be more concerned with infringements of the licensing laws than traffic offences, but I might drop them a line anyway.

deluded
    Free Member

I think they deal with all manner of complaints. They’re the main regulatory body for licensed taxis.

siwhite
    Free Member

As above, non-stop injury RTC – taxi driver had a legal duty to stop and exchange details and has comitted an offence by not doing so – seperate to a (possible) offence of careless driving.

Report to any Met police station, but be aware that the CCTV may be controlled by British Transport Police and may be wiped after 7 or 28 days. Keep badgering for this CCTV to be siezed – the Met can be somewhat disinterested in low level stuff (from personal experience.)

Take in witness details and the picture of the cab. Photograph injuries as and when bruises develop and keep a diary of how the injury has affected your wife. Keep taxi reciepts etc – any cost as a result of the collision should be settled by the cab’s insurer.

sweepy
    Free Member

Isn’t he supposed to have a bale of hay or something, I’d dob him in for not having that (Unless he did)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s a bale of hay and a sack of oats. And the vehicle must be tethered when stationary.

gordimhor

I say go to the police. A few years back I was on my bike,stopped at a junction in the inside lane which was clearly marked for going straight on or left turn. I was going straight on. A taxi pulled up in the right hand lane which was clearly marked right turn only.He was revving the engine really hard,so I wasn’t all that surprised when the lights turned green the taxi turned left just missing me and shot up the main rd followed by a volley of abuse from me. No harm was done so I carried on my way but a few minutes later same taxi stops in front of me and driver gets out says he is very sorry, he thought I was turning left. I had not signalled a left turn so I told him that I suspected he was very sorry as that junction is on cctv and he can lose his licence. Itll be the same at St Pancras, go to the police

Cougar

I say go to the police.

Why is this even opinion?

a) It’s a hit and run, the driver is legally obliged to report any incident where injuries are sustained.

b) Pedestrians already in the road have right of way over approaching vehicles.

Go directly to the police, do not pass Go.

kimbers

Will be CCTV, prob operated by the council if you call them they’ll probably help u out

Oh and police

Saw 2 near accidents yesterday, 1 was black cab sailing thru a red nearly hitting a pedestrian the other was an Addison Lee not seeing a scooter at a round about

crankboy
    Free Member

The police and the licencing authority . the licencing authority have a duty to ensure drivers are fit and proper persons to hold the licence . certainly ours would take this seriously.

br
    Free Member

By all means report, just don’t expect anything to happen.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

If you report it I’d be pretty sure that another black cab driver witnessed the whole thing and it was your wife’s fault and absolutely nothing to do with the cabbie.
    That’s normally the way it seem to happen with black cab drivers 🙄

globalti
    Free Member

Definitely report to the Police and the licencing authority as the driver may already have form. He may also have broken the law by reversing into an exit lane.

There are too many people on the roads who think the law doesn’t apply to them and they need to receive a clear explanation.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Plus I’m sure your wife has a severe case of whiplash! 😉

gonzy
    Free Member

Basically a black cab passed her standing at the side of the road, stopped and reversed into the slip road where she was standing, hitting her.

is it me or do i read this correctly?
    the slip road clearly shows a broken line with a give way sign painted on the ground. the orientation of the give way sign indicates that it is indeed one way and therefore he illegally reversed up a road in the wrong direction.
    if he doesnt get reported for hitting the OP’s wife then he should definitely get reported for this. i think the police would want to have a chat with him about that as would the local council who issued his taxi badge/licence. if this can be backed up by CCTV evidence he will be in big trouble

deluded
    Free Member

If you report it I’d be pretty sure that another black cab driver witnessed the whole thing and it was your wife’s fault and absolutely nothing to do with the cabbie.
    That’s normally the way it seem to happen with black cab drivers

You would think that – and going off previous instances you’d be right to do so, but in my experience that shouldn’t be assumed. Many of them have a conscience, they don’t always get on with one another and a fair majority of Hackney carriage cabbies take sub-standard driving and poor attitude as described above quite seriously, as it reflects negatively on them as professional drivers.

Speeder

What’s the point? I’d just rack it up to experience and pay more attention in close proximity to vehicles in the future.

Life’s too short to get hung up on this s***.

allthepies
    Free Member

When drivers (even “professional” ones ha ha) don’t see people and hit them then someone’s life could well be very short.

The driver should pay more attention [when] in close proximity to pedestrians 🙂

[ eternal shame if I’ve risen to a troll ]

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Nothing will happen, but I’d still report it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Taxi reversed into my wife today (on foot) – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.