• This topic has 38 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Taxi drivers – grrrrr!
  • Bunnyhop

How do you go about identifying a private hire car?
    It had no logo or identifiable markings.
    Only private hire written on the side and a telephone number.

I was walking along the pavement just now. The taxi swings in to our local pub carpark making me stop.
    When the passenger gets out I said “couldn’t you have waited”.
    The drivers called me a stupid old woman (I was definitely younger than him) and I was in the way.
    I asked the passenger for the name of the taxi firm, he justed shouted that I was out of order.

For many years I’ve put up with this bad drving while out on the bike. Never have I come across it when walking along a pavement.
    He also drove out very fast and stupidly close to me on the way out to make a point.

And breath.

perchypanther
    Free Member

….which you will now call frequently whilst pretending to require a cab to pick you up in the most awkward and out of the way villages you can think of?

Gary_M
    Free Member

It had no logo or identifiable markings. – number plate?

Phone the number, see what happens.

But it should have a taxi license plate number anyway.

legend
    Free Member

Google the number will almost certainly give you the name of the firm

Bunnyhop

I got my phone out to take a photo, which hasn’t turned out, so no number.
    It was really windy and raining heavily also my glasses were a tad steamed up due to having hat on and hood up.

Was shaking after it had all happened.
    Later I’ll pop in the pub and see if anything was picked up on their video.

Gary_M
    Free Member

It was really windy and raining heavily also my glasses were a tad steamed up due to having hat on and hood up.

mmm suspects you may have stepped out in front of the taxi as you couldn’t see what was going on

jimdubleyou

The ones in London are regulated by TFL and have a sticker, so you can tell they are going to be a crap driver as they go past.

That and they will be driving a Prius.

aracer
    Free Member

Victim blaming in the 6th post. Not quite a record for here, but fairly good going.

She said she was walking along the pavement. Are you suggesting she should have given way to a vehicle crossing it?

binners

notmyrealname
    Free Member

The ones in London are regulated by TFL and have a sticker, so you can tell they are going to be a crap driver as they go past.

Aka, the yellow disc of death 😆

dooosuk
    Free Member

She said she was walking along the pavement

Are you sure? Sounds to me like she was walking along the pavement and stepped off the pavement and out into a pub car park entrance without checking if anything was pulling in.

The taxi didn’t mount the pavement and cut her up from the information given.

Gary_M
    Free Member

She said she was walking along the pavement. Are you suggesting she should have given way to a vehicle crossing it?

I presume it was an entrance to a car park and the taxi didn’t just mount the pavement. Personally when I walk along a pavement I always look before crossing an entrance way but that’s just me and my funny safety conscious ways. I’m not saying the op didn’t look.

And I said suspects – fogged up glasses, a hat and a hood doesn’t really present a picture of someone in full knowledge of their surroundings 🙂

Underhill
    Free Member

Pavement takes priority over dropped kerb. Professional drivers are supposed to be aware of pedestrians no matter where they are.

Harry_the_Spider

Speshpaul

Just to help out a couple of people here-
    the dropped curb bit of the pavement that cars can drive across-
    Thats still the pavement. Cars still have to give way to pedestrians.

FFS.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Maybe the windows of the taxi were steamed up, maybe it wasn’t a dropped kerb, might have been a proper entrance

FFFS

bigyinn
    Free Member

As a rule of thumb, whoever has to cross over a kerb should be the one who has a lower priority over the one that doesnt.

aracer
    Free Member

Whilst you’re off checking on the HC, Gary, you should probably also look up Wheaton’s law as you appear to be breaking it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Gary_M
    Free Member

Oh god no the name calling escalated quickly

PJM1974
    Free Member

Classic STW.

Someone walking on a pavement, gets cut up by cab, winds up on the receiving end of a punishment pass by said cab…

…and someone pops up to suggest “It sounds like it’s actually all your fault, even though I wasn’t personally there to witness it myself”.

Gary_M
    Free Member

…and someone pops up to suggest “It sounds like it’s actually all your fault, even though I wasn’t personally there to witness it myself”.

and presumably you were?

johnners
    Free Member

Maybe the windows of the taxi were steamed up

Probably not the brightest move to carry on driving a ton and a half of metal into a space you can’t see to be clear then, eh? Pavement/entrance/whatever. Might be one of those squishy pedestrian things in the way.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Nope. But I haven’t popped up to attempt to blame the victim in some fashion. There’s been a lot of this on the forums lately and it’s barely a notch above trolling IMHO.

Shall we just suggest that the OP buys a high-vis jacket to walk to the shops in and leave it at that?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I can’t believe you’re now suggesting the op caused this by not being visible enough!

FFS

PJM1974
    Free Member

Oh, well played.

*Claps*

(slowly)

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

This thread has turned into STW self parody too quickly, people need to pace themselves a bit more.

thomthumb
    Free Member

were you wearing a helmet?

Bunnyhop

Omg!
    I was wearing bright pink. Walking along a pavement which the driver has no right to cross in front of me and so close. If he’d waited 4 seconds he could have got in, dropped off and been away. Consequently with the slangling match he was held up a couple of minutes.

I’m limping atm so can’t walk quickly, this must have really annoyed him. Probably one of the reasons he called me old. Not sure what the definition of old is anymore.

iffoverload
    Free Member

blinkin women pedestrians… 🙄

jon1973
    Free Member

Not sure what the definition of old is anymore.

Anyone older than me.

revs1972
    Free Member

Sandwich

Try studding the rubber foot with some bits of old spark plug insulator. You will then have the perfect means of putting a side window in with minimal effort.

BadlyWiredDog

And breath.

Breathe, surely? Back on topic, I guess that’s living in the ghetto for you. It’s also one of the reasons I no longer wear pink in public. Not victim blaming btw, just pointing out the obvious.

revs1972
    Free Member

[/quote]I’m limping atm so can’t walk quickly, this must have really annoyed him

You are Kiaser Soze and I win my £5

D0NK

one of those badly written rules that gives drivers a cop out. “Give way to pedestrians who have started to cross” ie you don’t have to stop for peds until they have thrown themselves at your mercy, at which point it would be nice if you could prevent your vehicle maiming them, well…., if it isn’t too much trouble.

bails

one of those badly written rules that gives drivers a cop out. “Give way to pedestrians who have started to cross” ie you don’t have to stop for peds until they have thrown themselves at your mercy, at which point it would be nice if you could prevent your vehicle maiming them, well…., if it isn’t too much trouble.

It’s the same as zebra crossings. Don’t step on to them until the cars have stopped. But the cars don’t have to stop until you step onto it.

D0NK

yeah was going to mention zebra crossings but couldn’t remember the exact wording and similarly couldn’t be arsed looking it up.

edit oh look it’s there on aracer’s link further down

look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross

sounds promising but then I remembered, the highway code doesn’t mean shit unless it says must

you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing

ah, wooly wording as usual, “onto a crossing” as in at the kerb, looking around expectantly, waiting to go or do I have to wait until they have actually stepped infront of my car? I find sticking to speedlimit+10% and showing no signs of slowing soon makes them think twice.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Taxi drivers – grrrrr!’ is closed to new replies.