Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tax/HMRC question – moving abroad?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

I am leaving the UK company I currently work for at the end of the month. I have been paying tax PAYE. I will be working for a Singaporean company from June onwards, but based in India. My initial contract is for 6 months, I may stay longer but it is not certain. I am a little unclear what is required from me with regards to;

1. Notifying HMRC about moving – I read that I need to alert them if you are moving out of the UK – but I’m a little unsure about this as I am not sure when I will be back in the UK – and whether this time counts as “officially” moving away from the UK, or just time abroad.

2. Claiming back tax if I have paid too much – I imagine I will not exceed the personal allowance this tax year. Do I just fill in a tax rebate form at the end of this tax year?

Cheers,
    Duane

Mackem

1. Tell them you are leaving.
    2. Yes you can get a rebate, quick and easy from what I remember.
    3. You might want to look at keeping your NI contributions going.

PJM1974
    Free Member

You’ll need to contact HMRC. The form you’ll need is a P85.

HMRC link here

As has already been said, it would be a good idea to set up a direct debit for voluntary NIC contributions while you’re abroad.

konagirl
    Free Member

The short duration of your initial contract makes this a bit more complicated. If you are leaving for at least one full tax year, you can fill out the P85 and you will get the tax rebate quickly because you declare that you will not earn any more income in the UK before 5 April 2017. If you aren’t sure that is the case, then you can’t claim the rebate yet. But you still need to fill out the form.

Have a look at PJM1964’s link and if you are unsure, you can call the tax office or pop in to one of their ‘shops’.

You can pay towards NI up to 6 years after the missing qualifying years. I agree it is a good idea.

Edited to add: This is the link to determining your residency status – UK tax residency. As I said, the short contract muddies things somewhat and you may find you pay tax twice and have to claim rebates in both the UK and India at the end of their respective tax years.

PJM1974
    Free Member

*coughs*

@konagirl

It’s PJM1974, you’ve just aged me ten years!

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks all. It all sounds a bit complicated! Think I’ll give HMRC a ring, explain the situation, and see what they think.

Started filling in that form but got a bit stuck when it asked how many days I expect to be in the UK in the next 3 years (no idea), and what my earnings in the UK will be when I leave (I will be getting a small amount of interest from my UK bank accounts I guess).

Ta,
    Duane

konagirl
    Free Member

*coughs*

Lol, sorry, typo!!

Duane…
    Free Member

Just submitted the P85 so will see how that works out.

It looks like you have to have paid NI for 3 years previously, which I haven’t (I’m 25, been working for less than 2 years) in order to pay voluntary NI contributions – so looks like I can’t do that.

Thanks,
    Duane

Del

I will be getting a small amount of interest from my UK bank accounts I guess

taxed automatically by your bank.

Mackem

If you were on benefits then the govt will have been paying your NI, so you’ll have more than the 2 years worth.

Duane…
    Free Member

Ah really – did not know that! I put it down on the form, but think I estimated it would only be about £20 anyway.

Duane…
    Free Member

Mackem – I’ve not been on benefits (I was one of them student types)

hammyuk
    Free Member

Interest isn’t charged anymore – its paid gross.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tax/HMRC question – moving abroad?’ is closed to new replies.